Need Dovetail Jig That Can Do Half-Blind and Through-Dovetails

Page 1 of 2
I am looking for a dovetail jig that can do both half-blind-dovetails or through-dovetails.
The 12" Porter-Cable dovetail jig looks very nice, and seems to be able to do everything. But it costs $110.
The 12" JET dovetail jig is priced very reasonable. But its product description says that it handles half-blind-dovetails; I assume this means it cannot handle through-dovetails.
The 12" Central Machine dovetail jig in Harbor Freight is priced very very low ($30). But it seems to be able to cut half-bind-dovetails just like the JET. Moreover, its template seems to be black. According to some messages in this newsgroup, I should avoid the one from Harbor Freight that has black template because it is made from plastic.
Another 12" dovetail jig in Harbor Freight is also priced quite reasonable ($46). It claims that it can handle half-blind-dovetails and standard-dovetails (I assume this means through-dovetails). This is good. But it says that it only comes with one template. I am wondering how I can cut both half-blind and through-dovetails with one template. May be I am not understanding this correctly. Currently, this one is the most promising for me. Does anyone use this particular model? You can see it here:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberB821
Thanks in advance for any info.
Jay Chan
<< I am looking for a dovetail jig that can do both half-blind-dovetails or through-dovetails.
The 12" Porter-Cable dovetail jig looks very nice, and seems to be able to do everything. But it costs $110. >><BR><BR>
If you don't want to spend more than $110, then you had better do them by hand. None of the imports do through dovetails. Like everything elde, you get what you pay for. You want good through dovetails by jig? Leigh, Keller, PC Omnijig. There are no shortcuts.
Keller I got came with the 2 bits and IIRC was ~$135.00.
On 03 Apr 2004 03:02:31 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (DarylRos) wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.
I have checked it out from their web site, and find that the one from Keller is probably the cheapest one that I can find so far that can cut "through-dovetails". Although it cannot cut half-blind dovetail, I can get around this by getting the cheapest one from Harbor Freight that can do just that (and only that), or cut "through-dovetails" for drawers and put a false front cover to the drawers to simulate the look of a half-blind dovetails (as suggested in Keller's web site). I probably get Keller for now and worry about getting the one from Harbor Freight (for half-blind dovetails) later when I really need it.
I have checked the $110 version of dovetail jig from Porter-Cable. Turns out it only can cut half-blind dovetails and box joints, not through dovetails as what I originally believed. The one that can do both through-dovetails and half-blind dovetails is a different model called "Omnijig Dovetail Machine" from Porter-Cable, and I would need to buy the template for cutting through dovetails separately. And the total price would have been way over my budget.
Thanks again for the suggestion of looking into the one from Keller.
Jay Chan
Keller is capable of box joints also, just didn't mention that as subject was DTs. Need different bit if memory serves. I've used the Keller for wood wider than the jig by careful matching/clamping.
On 4 Apr 2004 11:18:39 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Jay Chan) wrote:

I have seen the one that is supposed to be for 15" long joint. 15" joint should be more than enough for me.
Thanks.
Jay Chan
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I was hoping someone else would bring this up, because I know I'll get flamed by the tool purists :-). But Sears has a jig that will cut both through and half-blind dovetails and, with an optional template, box joints as well.
So far, I've only used mine to cut through dovetails, but it worked fine for that. It does take awhile to assemble the jig, but you only have to do that once.
It won't do variable spacing, but neither will the Keller unless it's changed since I looked at it.
I just looked up the Sears jig and two box joint templates now come with it. But the price is up to $199, which is higher than I remember (and higher than the Keller).
But take a look at it at:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&ver tical=TOOL&pid925455000
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Nice to hear this. I will check it out if the price is right.
BTW, my table saw is a Craftsman.

This seems to be even higher than the one from Keller (on sales for $130). Oh well... Thanks anyway.
Jay Chan
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

But I never bought a tool from Sears that wasn't on sale :-). I guess they don't do that as much as they used to.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Put things on sale or sell anything?
On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 09:45:28 -0700, Larry Blanchard

Seem like Porter-Cable dovetail jig is in my future waiting for me. Actually, I can get $25 off from Amazon.com with some other purchases. Therefore, the final cash outflow will not be that bad afterall.
Thanks.
Jay Chan
porter cable jig is 89$ at HD in new hampshire "Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day,fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way......"
I bought that one on sale for $25. It is strictly half-blind. Sorry. I think it is identical to the other one, but with the router bits.

Sorry to hear the bad news. Sound like their "standard dovetails" mean the same as "half-blind dovetails".
Jay Chan
Look around, saw the PC dovetail for $98, just don't remember where. Shipping?
Jay Chan wrote:

I bought this jig and if does come with the aluminum template (I called first to be sure). Haven't had time to try it yet.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Jay Chan) wrote in message

buy once...cry once..."ain't no secrets"...."ain't no short cuts"......Buy or team up with a buddy and buy a leigh....anything less could be a waste of time and effort and will end up in frustration
I know that the Leigh is expensive and is a hugh investment if you do not cut lot of dovetails, but it is the most well around good jig. Perhaps you could sell a couple of dovetailed blanket chest and help pay for the jig. Good luck..... Mike from American Sycamore Good luck

<SNIP>

So I am new here (been lurking for a while) been around woodworking my whole life. As a young and aspiring woodworker I have found two things true that don't get much attention. 1. Woodworking is really expensive. Sorry but anyone suggesting there is no valid alternative to the leigh does not understand this, you have to be planning a lot of dovetails to warrant that jig. Sometimes I think for us younger folks we have to take the risk of not buying the best tool on the market. It may not work quite as well. But in my experience, with patience even mediocre tools can produce excellent quality results. I have the aluminum HF dovetail jig. It ain't great and doesn't do a lot of fancy cuts. But when it is set up properly I can produce drawers in about 5 mins for all 4 corners, tight and square. At this point if I had bought a leigh and later found out how well the $25 dollar one worked I would have kicked myself. I just did not need $400 in dovetail jig. Now, at some point in my life I may want the features of the leigh but for now I have served my purpose I made straight beautiful drawers. 2. Used tools don't get brought up much here. This is a little more difficult with DT jigs but with a lot of things a little patience and garagesaling will find some great deals. For that matter you never know, you might find a leigh someone bought thinking they needed but never used. My one disclaimer, all of this said. Nothing will make me go back to my garage sale special craftsman router now that I have a PC895. When I started the Craftsman worked, now I have upgraded. If I could find a PC, Dewalt, bosch at a garage sale I would buy it in a second, just no more craftsman.
You are "kinda right"...most of us learn the hard way that when it comes to the basic tools it is cheaper in the long-run to spend the extra $$$ and get good ones (e.g. a PC router vs the Crapsman as you state...sure you'll agree that there is much more going on there than the color <g>). After the basics it comes down to how much you are going to use it, how much time it takes to fiddle with it and what your tolerance is. Better tools will yield better results most of the time but sometimes it simply doesn't matter. I personally cannot get a "perfect anything" from my collection of mid-priced Delta/PC/Dewalt tools but funny thing about wood is its modesty. When I am done, I seem to be the only one that knows where the flaws are.
(Jay Chan) wrote in message news

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 23:57:32 GMT, "Tom Kohlman"
<snip>

Tom, this has to be the Quote of the Year!
Thanks :-)
James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com