Need bandsaw tire advice....

Greetings....

My dad recently gave me an old 3 wheel bandsaw....it was his dads and I used it a lot when I was a kid in his shop...its been setting up for a long while and it cleaned up very well, the bearings are still ok...but the tires have dry rotted, and have chunks missing, which in turn makes for a lot of vibration in an otherwise smooth running saw....I did replace the belts with new link belts...and have a new blade installed....

I can't seem to find tires that will fit the machine...I can find larger ones...for 14" saws but not for the smaller wheels...

So does anyone have any ideas about alternative materials...( i.e. shop made or other wise ) I can use to replace the tires on the saw, and hopefully return it to its former self...

I hope everyone had a nice Chris...uh...holiday...:>

Regards...

DCH

Reply to
DCH

Try here

Edwin Pawlowski

Found a few links for tires down to 10" size -- so not sure what the problem is...

Plus a link is already given by another poster...

if you posted the wheeel diameter people could actually help instead of guessing of the usefulness of their replies.

Plus model and make of bandsaw does not hurt either -- if available.

You might even post a picture on the binaries forum -- then people might identify it -- assuming that you can't.

Have a politically correct holiday eh? :-)

Reply to
WillR

I also have an old 3-wheel bandsaw with pulleys that are about 6 inches in diameter. After a lot of looking and posting on the rec, some kind soul sent me this link

I did find a three wheel bandsaw and they do offer parts, but the price of the tires was (I believe) about $15 each, far more that I wanted to spend. I eventually wound up buying three large rubber bands from a ceramics shop (they use them to hold molds together) for about 50 cents each and trimming them to width with an X-acto knife. They've been working fine for about a year, and I found other uses for the $43 I had left (actually, more if you consider shipping).

BruceT

Reply to
Bruce T

Get some rubber or polysomething from a belting shop, glue it on with an angled butt joint (that's all that's on my Laguna), make a concave sanding pad to crown them.

-------------------- Steve Jensen Abbotsford B.C. snipped-for-privacy@canada.mortise.com chopping out the mortise. BBS'ing since 1982 at 300 bps. Surfing along at 19200 bps since 95. WW'ing since 1985 LV Cust #4114

Nothing catchy to say, well maybe..... WAKE UP - There are no GODs you fools!

Reply to
Scorp

DCH wrote in news:Xns97389084A676Edchayniebellsou@

216.77.188.18:

Inner tube from car tires. If you can still find one. I cut a one inch strip and used rubber cement to glue it to the wheel. I used a diagonal butt splice. It has lasted years.

Reply to
Al

Try a bicycle shop.

Reply to
B a r r y

Al wrote in news:Xns97466BD8EC50Bpatalserranoattnet@138.126.254.210:

Thanks...

Another fellow told me about industrial strength rubber bands used in the ceramic mold business...I found a place near the house and asked them if I could buy a few bands from them...they worked very well...I would like to thank all those that replied.....

DCH

Reply to
DCH