Need advice on upgrading lighting in my garage

figured
least)
care
Live in Burbank and had the same problem. Fortunately I have a friend who is a licenced electrical contractor and we installed a sub panel, 240 volt feed, various outlets and lights in my garage/workshop. All of it was exposed conduit ( romex cable is a no-no in Burbank). Looks perfectly fine and it does the job. This *IS* a garage after all and exposed conduit is acceptable. Doing some of the work myself with his guidance made it quite affordable.
Vic Vic
Pull power from the existing light fixture, and run metal conduit to surface mount flouoresant light fixtures. Greg