Need advice on built-ins

Page 2 of 2
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Generically, it is known as MDO (medium density overlay). There is also HDO. You can get them pre-primed if desired.
--

dadiOH
"Duesenberg" wrote in message
I wish to build a series of built-ins along a 14 foot wall. I have to incorporate 2 desks.
I've built carcasses and drawers and night stands and tables in a college night school coarse but I've always been supplied the oak/oak veneer, and I've built using their measurements and instructions.
But for my first project at home I'm confused on the type of wood I should choose. My wife wants everything white so I'm deciding between poplar, pine or MDF. Even with MDF, I'll most likely use poplar faces and router in a design.
Skip the poplar. I recently did a big kitchen job for myself and I regret using the poplar. Seems it is now grown too fast, and is very unstable. One pair of doors I will have to start from scratch, they are so warped. Others not so good, but not worth doing them again, now.
Use birch ply and birch for the face frames, I think. Maple would be another good choice for the face frame?
There is oak, but be prepared to do some heavy grain filling before trying to paint that stuff. I started the project with some built in china cabinets, which were to be whitewashed stained at the time I bought the wood and started cutting, but before they were done, it had turned to paint.
I must have put 10 coats of sanding sealer and 3 coats of paint before I was satisfied. Boy, are they slick, true and hard, though. I almost wish I would not have switched to the poplar, even with all the work of painting the oak.
-- Jim in NC