Need Advice - Moving my Woodshop

Page 2 of 2

Well I finally hit the end of the replies.
THANKS EVERYONE who replied. I got some good advice.
I should have mentioned that I am not moving far (less than 1 hour away) I think I will ask a couple of buddies to help move the tools.
Fortunately for me, I have several friends who has, over the years, asked to work on something in my shop. 8*) Now they may find out why I said "sure, my shop is your shop" heh heh.
Also, good advice about deciding what to save. I have already thrown away many much of my precious "scrap pile". It breaks my heart.
AndyB

I don't know how big your tools are, so this may be very good or very bad advice. When I moved, I used a furniture dolly (the kind with the strap to hold things in place when moving) and a low flatbed trailer with a ramp, and moved all my tools myself. The major caveats to this approach are that 1. My tools mainly fall into the "benchtop" category, and even with stands full of ballast, the heaviest weighs about 250 pounds, 2. I work with steel all day, so too heavy for me and too heavy for, say, a computer programmer are not necessarily the same thing, 3. My stands were all built by me, and have enough surface area below the tools themselves to strap the stands down securely without touching the fences or work surfaces, and 4. My shop was moving from a street-level garage to a street-level basement- no stairs or hills were involved in the move.
As long as you can do it, I'd vote for moving the tools yourself- no one is going to be more careful with your shop than you are. But if you've got a Unisaw and a 8" freestanding jointer and a 20" bandsaw, you may be out of luck- in that case, I'd personally go for another poster's suggestion of using a piano moving company.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
I think everyone here has talked me in to doing it myself.
And, yes, I am a programmer. What's it to you?!?!?! (kidding)
My tools are bigger than bench top, but not exactly unisaws. The tools I most care about are Delta floor drill press 14 inch delta band saw Jet 6 inch floor standing jointer Rockwell (OLD Delta) contractor's table saw
Nothing a couple of friends can't move.
Thanks for the input.
And yeah, getting rid of textbooks really sucks. Nobody wants them, they were expensive to buy, and they are full of such good info. (Well, ok, old programming books are nearly worthless)

I've been in the moving business for the past 12 years, starting as a "lumper" and as a driver for the past 7 years. Go with a big name company (United, Mayflower, Graebel, etc.), they won't pull the "fly-by-night" scams you hear about. If you can help it, don't move during the peak season (May-sept.). That's the time when ALL the companies are so busy they need to use temp labor with no experience. Also, don't go for the biggest discount. A good driver will turn down the load if it doesn't pay enough, so you'll be stuck with a second rate driver. Specifically as for a low claims driver. Also, pay the little extra for "Full Replacement Value" on your shipment. That way if anything happens, the van line/driver is on the hook to repair or replace any damage item. Otherwise all they're liable for is $.60/lb. Generally, any reputable, full service moving company should be able to handle your machinery. We regularly move grand pianos, gun safes, and all manner of machinery without any problems.
Mark
Mark, thanks!
I do happen to have a large gun safe (800 pounds empty). I had no idea a "regular" moving company would even consider moving it. I sure would prefer to deal with ONE moving company instead of dealing with movers and riggers.
I think you just saved me some hassle. I will stick with the bigger companies and ask them to quote with the safe.
AndyB