Need advice from woodworking guys

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 07:00:07 GMT, "Bob"

Please don't post binaries to rec.woodworking.
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:24:14 +0000, Andy Dingley

TWS
TWS wrote:

Mental note never visit wood workers in Texas, I really don't need any more nightmares! <G>
I were my apron as protection as much as to keep clean

This sounds like my wife. Cindy, is this you? LOL
A lot of what gets tracked around was actually on my shoes, so I always wipe them real good before leaving my shop. We also got a roomba robotic vacuum which is good at picking up the fine sawdust that seems to seep into the house.
Good luck and have a dust-free Thanksgiving.

If its just stuffed getting tracked into the house - then I have a dedicated coverall and pair of shoes that stay in the shop. That pretty much takes care of 95% of keeping the house sawdust free. On those days when I know my hair caught some dust - I either take a ShopVac hose to my 'mop' or give it a blast with compressed air.
Industrial / research places also make some adhesive paper, about the size of a floor mat, that you step on when leaving. Think of it as walk-able flypaper for sawdust. I have no idea where you'd find this stuff. The dedicated shoes and coveralls work for me.

this is for sale as a mat for in front of the cat litter box in the pet store.
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:27:56 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"

Not sure if the stuff at the petstore is the same as the stuff in industrial cleanrooms, but I do know that when I've gone into cleanroom environments where that tacky mat is at the entrance, they request that the treads on your shoes be 1/8" deep or less. So, if you husband is wearing deep lugged boots into his shop, a new pair of shoes might make as much of a difference as anything. At the very least, it would make a mat more effective in removing the chips and dust.
Of course, if you're looking for a solution he'd like even better, get him an air compressor, and he can use that to blow the dust off. Works pretty good, even for metal swarf.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Janice
What I do is strip when done, put on some clean duds and even change shoes before going into the house after a session in the shop. Keeps a very significant amount of the dust/crud from coming into the house on the clothes/shoes. Keeps my wife happy
Of course, the fact that the laundry room is off the shop helps a ton, store the change of clothes there, and can shake out the dusty stuff and run it thru the washer at the end of a shop session
May NOT be the solution for everyone, but it SURE works here
John
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 20:33:34 GMT, Janice Brown

Put the shop as far away from the house as possible..........that way the dust shakes off on the way to the house!
Barry

Janice Brown wrote:

Um, none of us has been in a real house for over three years. Just one of the sacrifices we make to do woodturning...
...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb

I stomp my feet and brush off my clothes. Using the DC helps a lot. I have two rubber mats that I use before entering the house. Some sawdust still gets in the house, though. I seem to have problems with sawdust in pockets.
We are terrible housekeepers, and I am in and out of the shop continually throughout the day. I vacuum myself if I've been sanding, or turning. Run an air filter when I need to. Sweep once a week whether I need to or not. But the best thing is an astroturf mat between the shop area and the rest of the garage.
Now if I could just get my 9 y.o. to stop walking out there in his stocking feet.
-Dan V.
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 20:33:34 GMT, Janice Brown

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 20:33:34 GMT, Janice Brown

Shower and changing room between basement and house? lol
2 things come to mind, since it's a basement shop.. the obvious is for hubby to vacuum himself off before he leaves the shop, (sounds weird, but a lot of us do this), and take off his shoes before he comes in the house.. the other thing is something like doormats that trap dirt and sawdust on the stairs from shop to house..
See if you can find a big piece of "Astroturf" to put in front of the stairs. Lots of Dept. stores use it in the foyer to keep the street crud from being tracked into the stores. - - - I've seen it sold as door mats too. RJ

words:

What, y'all don't have downdraft floor mats installed at the entrance to the little home attached to your shop?
------------------------------------------------------------- give me The Luxuries Of Life * http://www.diversify.com i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online -------------------------------------------------------------