Need advice - frameless vanity cab

Sorry if these questions seem a bit basic, but none of my books seem to hold the answers I need and I haven't done much frameless. Alway been a face frame kind of guy.

I'm getting ready to build a new vanity for our bathroom. 52" wide, std heigh/depth, divided approx in half. I want to go frameless. The left (sink) side will be a false drawer with two slab doors. The right will be four drawers (slab fronts). For the two finished ends I'm using cherry ply. Euro stye hinges for the doors. My questions...

  1. Since I'm going frameless, is there any pros/cons to edge banding the fronts vs. just cutting a 3/4 x 3/4 frame around it from sold stock ? If I use banding, how would I handle the mid style between the right door and the row of drawers on the right ?

  1. How about the doors ? Just make them from ply and band ? or glue them up from solid ?

  2. If I use edge banding, is it a worthwhile investment to get one of those dual edge banding trimmers ? Everytime I look at those I think it's just asking for the blades to 'catch' and try to tear/split the banding, trying to follow with the grain (if you can picture what I'm saying). I can easily see how that works well with melamine or similar - but something with grain ?

jim

Reply to
Jim Bailey

I got into euro style construction in Australia. It always seemed to me to be a 'cheaper'(less expensive) construction method.

Whatever you like. A veneer edge is going to look more like a single piece was used for the end. We built a lot with melamine board - that is a coated particle board I believe is now referred to as MDF. The stuff you get at the building supply places as shelving.

In the construction I have seen you would have three ply pieces running vertically and front to back. One at each end and one in the middle to support the drawer runners.

This is where I would use a ply center and edge with solid timber. Routed to provide a decorative trim. Consider how humid your bathroom is.

Never could get the knife type trimmers to work. I use a sanding block pressed at an angle. Be very careful or you sand through too much.

** The opinions expressed are just mine and not meant to be great answers by a skilled craftsman. **
Reply to
marks542004