Need advice for sheet-goods support

Relurking after a bit of an absence, with a New Improved Job that give me more time to ruin perfectly good sheet goods. . er . that is . . . work on furniture.
I've a question about supporting sheet goods.
I'm building a recording studio in my basement. Excellent way to combine two hobbies with expensive equipment requirements, IMO. :)
For my recording desk, I need a 15" wide shelf 25" off the floor, 60" wide. That shelf needs to support 50lbs. That holds a weighted-action MIDI keyboard nearest me.
I also need a 48"-wide shelf that needs to support 150lbs (2 21-inch monitors. I'm CERTAIN SWMBO will let me buy them . . yeah . .right).
The height of the second shelf is uncertain beyond "a bit higher than the other one"--largely dictated by the height of my monitors.
My setup table can support me -- plenty of safety margin for the monitors :( . It's built with two layers of 3/4 Borg Birch Ply, one layer of 1/4" tempered hardboard, and has a 4" deep apron made of 3/4" birch ply.
That construction would most likely work, but I'd wager it's SERIOUS overkill--I built it to have a stable surface for glue-ups. Portability and weight were NOT concerns.
There are no clearence requirements in the back, but beneath the front shelf, I need knee room.
How much support do I need? I'm using the full-sheet 3/4 Borg Ply for the shelves. Would a 4" piece on edge be sufficient for this? Do I double layer the rear (monitor) shelf?
I know how to build it strong and heavy. What can I do to keep it reasonably light?
Thanks.
Charles
Charles, I have had similar in past locations. I had built a video editing studio and wanted as few spans underneath as possible...clients liked to come and "work": alongside. I used double 3/4" a/d ply for top and glued and stapled together. Legs were of the same material and spaced 48" apart and only came out 36" or so...leaving overhang of 14 about. Then I added racks on top of this. Is what built like battleship and on a number of occasions I had to stand on top of it to wire track lighting...no problem. In the corner when I did the right angle return, span was larger so I added 1 1/4 steel angle let into the sides and the top sat on it. You cant really over engineer this...too much equipment and time is riding on it. Just make it modular...the 4' sections and run clamps in back to hold together. On top the heavy base unit, I had 3' high racks angled down towards opeator. All that I used up there was single thickness of 33/4 ply. Black formica on every surface...oak edge banding and a lot of small lights. it looked great and usually worked.

I'm very happy with how the Borg Birch looks. I'm a little ashamed to have covered it with hardboard for my shop table.
I just got a look at a commercial unit that has boxes beneath the shelves for structure. Almost exactly what I'd like to build, give or take wheels. IMO their method wastes a lot of material and sucks up a lot of legroom in the name of dubious "style."
You made your legs out of doubled ply?
I thought about making a pair of to EIA dimensions, but the resulting rack spaces aren't large enough to be that useful.
Charles here is a link to a computer desk I did early this year. top is 36" x 72" and is 2 - 3/4" A/C ply which had close to 0 voids and is banded in 1 1/4" birch. legs are also 2 - 3/4" birch ply (not borg) banded the same as the top. the customer wanted a table that was low (24 3/4") and would support 2 - 3 monitors. i used knock down fasteners so that it would be movable in 4 pieces. I did sit on it and it does not sag, the customer has stood on it and he said it was like standing on the floor. should give you an idea as to what 1 1/2" of plywood will support.
http://www.hollywoodswoodcrafts.com/html/Computer_Desk/Computer_Desk.html
BRuce
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles wrote:

--
---

BRuce

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 19:39:09 -0400, BRuce <> wrote:

Nice work!!
Is there any apron on the front (sit here!) edge or is that just supported by the sides?
The Borg Birch is Pretty Good. If you pick through the pile, you can find some GORGEOUS bookmatched veneers.
Thanks Bruce.