Need a scope

Page 1 of 2
SWMBO has a habit of filling kitchen drawers to the brim. Now one is jammed. It opens just far enough for me to get a wire coat hanger in, but I have been unable to free the jam. I need a flexible scope to see where the jam is. I really don't want to invest a couple of hundred bucks (especially since I have my eye on a new chop saw). Any ideas?

Mirror? Small hand?
Larry wrote:

Remove a drawer below it and knock on the drawer from the bottom? Just a thought.
Maybe leave it stuck long enough that a lesson is learned? ; )
Good luck on both counts!
Bill

What Bill said. If there is a drawer above it, remove that one. If you can't, try jiggling it back and forth rapidly through the miniscule distance it will open.
If you can get a coat hanger in there, you may be able to get a dental type mirror in there.
I'd also 'rake' the coat hanger over the contents while jiggling the drawer.
Last resort: pry off the drawer front ...
I like the jiggle - but coat hanger - so so. I like as wide a sheet of metal I can bend under the lips and jiggle into the drawer - often it can jam the fork or whatnot downward and allow the drawer to open.
Maybe a back of a tablet of paper - thin but stiff cardboard.
Another is a cake icing - metal 1" wide flexible spatula. Use it in jabs and sideways along with the handle.
Martin
On 4/10/2011 2:11 AM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

Not free but not a couple of hundred:
http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-inspection-camera-67979.html
I've never had a drawer so stuck that I needed one, though.

L:
Try Harbor Freight Tools on the scopes. Check their return policy if it proves unsatisfactory.
If you can get a flat piece of steel in your slit such as used for opening car doors (Harbor Freight), you should be able to bend it and locate the problem, providing intervening obstructions don't object. The car steel has a cutout which will allow you to pull on objects.
Two, check the drawer construction. Many drawers have a nailed face butted to the frame which can be pried off and later renailed. If the drawers are glued, dovetailed feature interlocking joints or use knock-down fasteners, it won't be so good for you.
Assuming there is a drawer/drawers below your problem which gives you access, pull them out. Cut a hole in the drawer bottom. Evacuate. Remove the drawer, disassemble and replace the bottom.
If a small, thin patch under the drawer bottom won't hamper function (check clearances), there are ways to make a patch you will never see from inside on a painted door.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

You could make a small offering to Anoia.

Perhaps wangling in a 2' steel rule will do the job better than a coat hanger?
Jeff
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

This is where my old Chebby distributor wrench has come in handy at times. http://goo.gl/T68RG The C-shaped style. HOld the long handle and stuff the combo wrench end in, pulling things down as you slide it from one side to the other.
To cure her of the problem, occasionally set out sheets on the living room rug/floor, and dump each drawer onto one. Let her sort them and put the necessities back, tossing the unnecessaries. Forcing this annual (or more frequent) cleanup will piss her off enough to maybe help break the habit. When (not if) she balks, tell her that you'd be happy to do the cleanout yourself (with a BSEG on your face, and have a 55 gallon can sitting at the ready. She'll accept immediately. On the off chance that she doesn't, you'll solve your problem instantly by just dumping most of the items in the can. Check and clean out the drawers (several handfuls each time) on a regular basis.
Alternatively, get one of these: http://goo.gl/MPS3k (sometimes on sale for $90) Fun new toy!
-- Nobody, as long as he moves about among the chaotic currents of life, is without trouble. -- Carl Jung
On 4/10/2011 8:36 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Too much trouble. Dump the contents in the kitchen sink ... it works every time.
CAVEAT: If you think too much like a bachelor, you may end up one, right C-less?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I'll bet that works very well. How comfy is your couch, though?

Verily, my tied-up friend.
-- If you're looking for the key to the Universe, I've got some good news and some bad news.
The bad news: There is no key to the Universe.
The good news: It was never locked. --Swami Beyondananda

Ya right.... Kitty's got claws, bro'.

That sounds great, until she gets the idea to return the favor with some of the drawers in your shop...
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Do it yourself Proctoscopy!
On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 22:48:57 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"

Is this part of the Obamunist plan?
That said, I'd much rather give myself one (ouch!) than let a herd of ghastly overpaid idiots assrape me with the expensive kind while telling jokes about me while I'm sedated in a far too expensive room.
Sis bought me the book _When There is No Doctor: Preventive and Emergency Healthcare in Uncertain Times_ for Christmas. http://goo.gl/wSlql She's an herbalist and Doctor of Naturopathy in the SF Bay area.
-- If you're looking for the key to the Universe, I've got some good news and some bad news.
The bad news: There is no key to the Universe.
The good news: It was never locked. --Swami Beyondananda

I hate it when they do that! Worse than dentists and it's both ends of the same tube!

I would keep on trying the coat hanger for quite a while longer before buying an inspection camera or scope, but if you're determined to get one, here's the most reasonably priced I have seen:
http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-inspection-camera-67979.html
BTW, I have seen some higher priced units from other suppliers that _appear_ identical.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

On 4/09/11 11:53 PM, Larry wrote:

Undermount drawer slides? There is an easy solution, depending upon the hardware.
--
Froz...

Dunno if it will focus close enough to show you what you need or if it will fit in the gap you have, but Amazon has some "hootoo" brand USB webcams for 5 bucks or so.
Also, call around to rental places--you may be able to rent an inspection camera for a lot less than it costs to buy one.