Need a scope

SWMBO has a habit of filling kitchen drawers to the brim. Now one is jammed. It opens just far enough for me to get a wire coat hanger in, but I have been unable to free the jam. I need a flexible scope to see where the jam is. I really don't want to invest a couple of hundred bucks (especially since I have my eye on a new chop saw). Any ideas?

Reply to
Larry

Mirror? Small hand?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Remove a drawer below it and knock on the drawer from the bottom? Just a thought.

Maybe leave it stuck long enough that a lesson is learned? ; )

Good luck on both counts!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Not free but not a couple of hundred:

've never had a drawer so stuck that I needed one, though.

Reply to
krw

L:

Try Harbor Freight Tools on the scopes. Check their return policy if it proves unsatisfactory.

If you can get a flat piece of steel in your slit such as used for opening car doors (Harbor Freight), you should be able to bend it and locate the problem, providing intervening obstructions don't object. The car steel has a cutout which will allow you to pull on objects.

Two, check the drawer construction. Many drawers have a nailed face butted to the frame which can be pried off and later renailed. If the drawers are glued, dovetailed feature interlocking joints or use knock-down fasteners, it won't be so good for you.

Assuming there is a drawer/drawers below your problem which gives you access, pull them out. Cut a hole in the drawer bottom. Evacuate. Remove the drawer, disassemble and replace the bottom.

If a small, thin patch under the drawer bottom won't hamper function (check clearances), there are ways to make a patch you will never see from inside on a painted door.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

You could make a small offering to Anoia.

Reply to
lektric dan

What Bill said. If there is a drawer above it, remove that one. If you can't, try jiggling it back and forth rapidly through the miniscule distance it will open.

If you can get a coat hanger in there, you may be able to get a dental type mirror in there.

I'd also 'rake' the coat hanger over the contents while jiggling the drawer.

Last resort: pry off the drawer front ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Perhaps wangling in a 2' steel rule will do the job better than a coat hanger?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Gorman

This is where my old Chebby distributor wrench has come in handy at times.

The C-shaped style. HOld the long handle and stuff the combo wrench end in, pulling things down as you slide it from one side to the other.

To cure her of the problem, occasionally set out sheets on the living room rug/floor, and dump each drawer onto one. Let her sort them and put the necessities back, tossing the unnecessaries. Forcing this annual (or more frequent) cleanup will piss her off enough to maybe help break the habit. When (not if) she balks, tell her that you'd be happy to do the cleanout yourself (with a BSEG on your face, and have a 55 gallon can sitting at the ready. She'll accept immediately. On the off chance that she doesn't, you'll solve your problem instantly by just dumping most of the items in the can. Check and clean out the drawers (several handfuls each time) on a regular basis.

Alternatively, get one of these:

(sometimes on sale for $90) Fun new toy!

-- Nobody, as long as he moves about among the chaotic currents of life, is without trouble. -- Carl Jung

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Too much trouble. Dump the contents in the kitchen sink ... it works every time.

CAVEAT: If you think too much like a bachelor, you may end up one, right C-less?

Reply to
Swingman

I would keep on trying the coat hanger for quite a while longer before buying an inspection camera or scope, but if you're determined to get one, here's the most reasonably priced I have seen:

I have seen some higher priced units from other suppliers that _appear_ identical.

Reply to
Larry W

That sounds great, until she gets the idea to return the favor with some of the drawers in your shop...

Reply to
Larry W

I'll bet that works very well. How comfy is your couch, though?

Verily, my tied-up friend.

-- If you're looking for the key to the Universe, I've got some good news and some bad news.

The bad news: There is no key to the Universe.

The good news: It was never locked. --Swami Beyondananda

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Undermount drawer slides? There is an easy solution, depending upon the hardware.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Dunno if it will focus close enough to show you what you need or if it will fit in the gap you have, but Amazon has some "hootoo" brand USB webcams for 5 bucks or so.

Also, call around to rental places--you may be able to rent an inspection camera for a lot less than it costs to buy one.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Ya right.... Kitty's got claws, bro'.

Reply to
Robatoy

Can you reach up into the drawer from the bottom/back? There is enough space behind my kitchen drawers to get a hand in there... Also, if they are old built-in-place cabinets you may be able to get into the drawer by removing the drawer(s) next to the problem drawer.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Keep fiddling with it. Shake it back and forth or reach under and knock on it. If no partition, open the drawer next to it and slide a ruler or similar object over it.... or if you can get your hand in behind it do the sam.

Shaking and banging have always gotten them open for us.

GET VIOLENT before you spend a bunch of cash.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

errrrrrr.....With the drawer, not your wife.

Reply to
RonB

Breaking either isn't a good idea.

Reply to