Need a router for PC 4212 dovetail jig

I just received the PC 4212 as a belated Christmas present tonight from SWMBO.

My old hand-me-down Craftsman 1/4" collet router is not going to work with this thing (the included router bits are 1/2" shank, and my sub-base doesn't accept 1 3/8" template guides). THE BIG QUESTION: What router (generally or specifically) should I purchase? I've just started woodworking, sort of stumbled into it via new (old) house purchase and kitchen remodel. Looking mostly to build small furniture (shelves, storage bins, wine racks, etc.).

Oh, and I try to buy most of my stuff used - is this a good idea with a router?

Thanks!

Brian

Reply to
dot

dot wrote in news:UYudnQrZxJmefUHcRVn- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

The PC 690 series is rock solid, is the standard to which every accessory must conform, and is generally affordably priced. For dovetails, variable speed is a luxury, if you are looking to save some cash. I have three PCs.

has a lot of really expert info on routers... And good accessories, too.

Active woodworkers do not give up routers - they are just too convenient in multiples. Many of use have three or more. So used ones are likely either junk, or at an estate sale, and may still be junk.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

PC 690 Lowe's $99.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

My vote is the PC 690 as well. I got one a few mounts ago from the TOOL CRIB for $145 US. A few days later got one at HOME DEPOT for $99 US. I have had the PC "D" handle router for 8 + years and it has many many hours of use. I would also recommend you get the clear router base plates from Pat Warner. It is nice to see what you are doing.

Reply to
OldSalt

Search around for this combo kit:

I work with bought this right before Xmas for $199 and got a mail-in form for the D Handle base. All 3 bases and a fence for $199, not bad!

Reply to
Ray

I was in a similar situation.

It was suggested to me I get a PC 690 and keep the old router with my

1/4" round over bit permanently installed. It makes for very quick changes.

It has proved to be sage advice. Now I'm actually thinking about replacing the old router with another 690. They are no longer the top of the line, but for an occasional woodworker, you can't beat the current prices.

Reply to
Bimmer

Most woodworking tools are fairly priced, so pick one in your budget and you should be okay. As someone said, variable speed in a handheld is not necessary, but doesn't hurt.

As long as it hasn't been dropped on the floor, a used router should be fine; good luck finding one.

A PC router, such as what other people have suggested, will save you a couple dollars if the jig came with a template guide that fits only PC routers.

Reply to
toller

At least 1.5 hp. That said, I have been making DT's with a router since the early 80's. Untill I bought a router that was EASILY adjustable in very small repeatable increments the bit depth setting was a PIA escecially for Blind DT's. 6 years ago I bought the Bosch 1617EVS. It very easily adjusts in coarse or fine increments and has variable speed. I suggest a router that has similar capabilities.

Reply to
Leon

Thank you all for your advice.

SWMBO and I went to Lowe's tonight, and she bought me the PC 690 to make the Christmas gift complete. I figured the Bosch would be pushing my luck.

Reply to
dot

Make sure you load up on those dovetail bits for that machine when you get the chance. I fear that since they are proprietary, they are going to want an arm and a leg. I have that machine too and while I really like the bulk and all other conveniences, I really don't like having to be locked into Porter Cable for a router bit that no one else seems to make. If anyone has an idea where I can get a 17/32 7 degree dovetail bit and an 11/32" straight bit, I'm all ears.

Don

Reply to
D. J. Dorn