Need a quick response guys.. New concrete on top of old.

Page 1 of 2
I'm ready to use a few bags of ready mix to top a small section of sidewalk 2 inches thick. I've heard that a little white glue will help it stick. I have some TiteBond II reaching the end of it's shelf life can I use this? Or is it a waste of time. Being Sunday I have no access to any hardware stores in my area so I have to do this with materials on hand.
Thanks for any quick responses. I'm going to build the form right now.
Thanks.
There is a latex adhesive to help with the bond, HD has it. I would not try to save a few dollars to avoid using the proper adhesive. Also, make certain that the old surface is CLEAN of debris and WET THE OLD SURFACE DOWN with water so that it does not prematurely wick the water out of new uncured cement.

sidewalk 2

this? Or

to do

if you dont have time to go down to the hardware store to get the proper stuff, or wait until you can, when are you gonna find time to tear up this hack job and fix it?
if the auto store is closed do you tape a pie pan on the axle to fix a flat too?
randy

sidewalk 2

this? Or

to do

Considering a 6x5 garbage can storage unit is going on top of this I doubt I'll be tearing it up. I simple asked if glue would help the new crete stick. It's not essential. Thanks for the useless advice.

this
I'll
give incomplete information, get a useless answer.
at least the garbage is right next to the place youll be ripping out this hack job so you wont have to carry it far...
randy
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 13:48:51 -0600, Village Idiot "xrongor"

Actually you don't have a clue. All hat no cattle.
I just talked to the guy who poured my 24x36 shop pad last year, he owns 3 redimix plants and has been in the business since he was 12 and he would do exactly what I'm doing. Wire mesh is useless, top coat is useless for my application. Considering the sidewalk surface is completely worn away acid is a waste of money. He would lay rebar and pour the pad on a damp sidewalk. Glue is optional. Consdering I'm 60 miles from the closest hardware store or even a source of washed gravel bagged redimix is perfect.
So fuck you shit for brains!

proper
doubt
essential.
do
of
optional.
of
enjoy your new sandbox.
randy

Criticism aside, you received your answer in almost every response. They may not have been phrased exactly the way you would have liked them, but it should have been obvious to you that the answer was "no". They weren't critical or attacking replies, so why are you bent out of shape?

Bay Area Dave?

AAAAAAAUUUUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

My favorite part was when he came back with the info from the concrete guy who's been pouring concrete since he was 12 (no chance he's wrong) saying that, surprise, the way Wayne wanted to do it was 100% right and everyone else was wrong. I'm like "shit, Wayne...if you could get on the horn with the concrete guy, why are you wasting our time?".
todd
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:41:01 -0500, "Todd Fatheree"

Another mental midget who can't read. Try reading the question I ask you power tripping shit for brains.
Here it is:
I'm ready to use a few bags of ready mix to top a small section of sidewalk 2 inches thick. I've heard that a little white glue will help it stick. I have some TiteBond II reaching the end of it's shelf life can I use this? Or is it a waste of time.
What part of the USE Titebond yes or no did you fail to understand?
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 00:07:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@address.invaIid
(doesn't matter what he wrote, actually).
Oh look, he's nym-shifted. <plonk> again, WayneKelly.

Naaah, I don't think so. The ISP, the news server, and the news client are all different from BAD's.
But I *am* beginning to suspect that Wayne is a recon troll....
If it isn't a troll, I see many people who want to take the easy way out, or a shortcut method. They ask the newsgroup readers to get their approval for the shortcut method of doing a job. This way when it fails, they can blame the newsgroup and say ".....they said it would work" or "....this is the way they said to do it", "its their fault not mine".
Sometimes it works out that the newsgroup readers tell a person the correct way to do it and warn him that his way will fail, as happened here.

have
Eric Tonks wrote:

You had to wonder?

sidewalk 2

this? Or

to do

Sure it will not hurt to put the stuff down. Shelf life is usually under listed anyway.
Rough up the concrete before you put the steel. I think rebar is a bit over kill for a 2 inch slab, steel mesh or wire screen would have been my choice.
Have fun

The rebar is to support the 'wings'. It will just lie on top of the sidewalk. This is actually a 6x5 slab across the sidewalk. So there are 4-5 inch thick sections 5' x1.5' on each side of the sidewalk. The 2in topcoat is because that's the maximum height I can go above the sidewalk.
So it's a 6x5 slab with an existing 3'x5' 8 inch thick section of sidewalk under the middle. A water tight garbage can storge unit will go over this.
Serious question. Where was rebar mentioned? I must have missed a message somehow.

Sun, Jul 11, 2004, 4:01pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@address.invalid claims: I'm ready to use a few bags of ready mix to top a small section of sidewalk 2 inches thick. I've heard that a little white glue will help it stick. I have some TiteBond II reaching the end of it's shelf life can I use this? Or is it a waste of time. Being Sunday I have no access to any hardware stores in my area so I have to do this with materials on hand. Thanks for any quick responses. I'm going to build the form right now.
Gods above, me and the Woodworking Gods all agree, Al Whashisname's internet is the best entertainment ever.
We're not totally clear on what you're planning to do, you seem to have left out a detail or two. No matter. We'll give an opinion anyway. LMAO
You want to do this OVER a sidewalk? A public sidewalk, or private? If it's a public sidewalk, I would imagine the city would have some say in the matter.
Well, it's Sunday here too. We do have a hardware store in town (small farm town), but I'm not sure if it's open on Sunday mornings or not - been a lonnng time since I've been into town on a Sunday morning. LOL However. There is ALWAYS a however. There is a Wal-Mart about 3 miles away, and that's open on Sunday. A garden shop even closer, that's probably open on Sunday. You never did say just what supplies you loacked. Anyway, each would have wire mesh - somehow rebar cam into the discussion, and yes, wire mesh would work better, as you were advised. You should do a bit of research on ferroconcret. Fascinating. Anyway, within about 10 miles of me are also two more Wal-Marts, two K-Marts, two Target Stores, three Lowes, and one Home Depot, that I'm aware of, all open on Sunday.
I've never heard of putting any adhesive down for concrete work. Interesting. I've been considering dong something similar to what you want to do, for my conrete porch, but not quite as thick. But, I'd figured on a muratic acid wash, to etch it (and rinsed off, carefully, after), then a few bags of a mix made especially for that purpose. After careful consideration, I think I'll stick to that plan. LOL
Like I said, I'm not really sure of what you're planning on doing. Me, I'd figure a 2" slab probably wouldn't be sliding around, even without the glue, and would probably just pour it. Probably use some mesh in it, especially if it's gonna get a lot of foot traffic. Even chicken wire will work - like I said, check out ferrocement, or ferroconcrete - they've even made boats with 1/4" thick hulls - mostly experimental tho, 1/2", and up, is better. I take it there won't be any vehicles driving on it?
Making a success of the job at hand is the best step toward the kind you want. - Bernard M. Baruch More likely, your boss gets a raise and/or promotion, from getting credit for your work. - JOAT