Need A New Jigsaw

Page 1 of 2
Quality of a brand seems to wax and wane, as noted in the recent/ ongoing discussion "What's The Drill".
I need recommendations for a new jigsaw to replace my 30 yr old Craftsman. Moderate to thick cutting capacity without hesitation, at least medium quality.... leaning toward higher end quality, but I don't need a commercial saw.
Corded saws only: What brands and/or models might be performing the best, these days?
Thanks. Sonny
On 5/24/2012 1:22 PM, Sonny wrote:

You could buy a Skil and it would be much better than what you are replacing, I had a Craftsman that would have been tha old had it not pooped out 10`12 years ago.
I strongly recommend one that allows you to replace the blade in 2~3 seconds. The easier it is to replace the blade the more likely that you will and that you will use the saw more often. I do not recomend one that has a combination of turns and twists to remove the blade. Look for one with a single lever release.
I personally have the German/AEG built Milwaukee, Bosch is good and there is also the Festool. Festool was suppose to come out with the same model that is used in Europe but for some reason or an other, probably causes cancer in California, its arrival has been postponed in the U.S.
http://jigsaws.festoolusa.com/jigsaws/models/carvex /
Another thing to consider are the blades, IMHO the Bosch blades are the best, many styles will make a remarkably smooth cut in hard woods.
On 5/24/2012 3:05 PM, Leon wrote:

I'll second that. The bosch blades are second to none. I have a basic dewalt that Dewalt sent free for buying a Planer about 12 years ago.
What I like,
having support behind the blade. the sole rotates around to provide near zero clearance. the orbital cut vs straight cut. Nice when your roughing. Nice to turn off when your doing fine work.
Wish that it took the T type blades . It takes the U's
Speed control is good, the blower started out good but doesn't seem as good now. So I would like one a little more powerful.
Do I wish I had keyless Blade change... yes and no. It's easy to change the blade so I don't need it. But it would be nice.
I think that all jigsaws should include 2 shoes. One for rough work like cutting through a roof. You don't want that shoe against your woodwork after that. I made a magnetic shoe , masonite , sheet magnets and a border, for working with rough stuff. I just put it on to save my regular shoe.

What Leon said.
On 5/24/2012 1:22 PM, Sonny wrote:

Bosch has been the best for me down through the years. I would love to have the new Festool, but there seems to have been a problem with UL and/or the strobe light, which apparently could cause cause epileptic seizures in those susceptible (and supposedly comes with a warning in that regard in Europe).
I own and use a Bosch, and absent the Festool Carvex ever making it to these shores, I would replace it with the same Bosch model were it lost.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 5/24/2012 1:24 PM, Swingman wrote:

Here's another vote for Bosch....
On Thu, 24 May 2012 15:16:24 -0600, Max wrote:

And yet another - I replaced a Skil with a Bosch many years ago and couldn't believe how much better the Bosch was.

A fourth and a story. I borrowed a buddy's 1587 to try out a few years ago. When he loaned it to me, he said "I'm not doing you any favors, you're going to have to buy one."
If only they would put a light on it! (I've got the 1590.) I'm thinking about adding a light, but I haven't figured out how to do so without drilling or duct taping something to it.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Hey Puckdropper I picked up one of these at HF. I use it on my router. I just mounted a small piece of metal that the rare earth magnet can stick to in the base using epoxy.
Looks like you can do the same on the shoe of your jig saw, out of the way, or use another magnet attached to the shoe.
See the link. I can't find on their website, so I took a picture.
http://i.imgur.com/0l5Dj.jpg
The base has a rare earth magnet, a laser pointer, a powerful led, goosneck, small package.
Only like $3 or $4 from what I remember.
On 5/25/2012 12:27 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in

I might have to give that a look. If the base on my 1590 is magnetic, it might work quite nicely. Thanks.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Searching reviews is a good thing to do. When I bought mine, Bosch was consistently rated at the top. I have the older version of what is now a 1591EVSL and can highly recommend that. Features to look for are:
1. variable speed 2. tool-less blade changing 3. Roller behind the blade to support it for a straight (more controlled), perpendicular cut 4. dust blower 5. Adjustable orbital action 6. LED worklight (if they have it)
You decide if you prefer a top-handle, or the barrel model. I prefer the barrel, but that's just a personal thing. I like mine for rough cutting lumber/plywood because it doesn't throw dust all over like a circular saw would. But it cuts just as straight. A handy reference is http://www.huntfamily.com/bosch_blades.htm
John S.
On 05/24/2012 01:22 PM, Sonny wrote:

"Sonny" wrote:

Bosch.
Lew

Bosch/ Milwakeee, there almost identical

The AEG-designed Milwaukee or the Bosch are among the best.

There are three brands worth considering, IMO, Bosch, Bosch, and my favorite, Bosch. I like the top handle, but the barrel grip is popular too.
Never tried a Festool, but they should be good for the money. Since you are asking what is good, I'm sure you already know to avoid the cheap stuff.
Sonny wrote:

Some current prices:
Black & Decker JS660 - $34.98 Black & Decker JS515 - $16.68 Black & Decker JS700K - $53.90 Porter-Cable PC600JS - $69.88 Skil 4290-02 - $29.97 Bosch JS470EB - $139.00 Bosch 1591EVSL - $179.99 Bosch JS470E - $139.00 Dewalt DW331K - $140.30 Milwaukee 6268-21 - $153.49 Makita 4329K - $68.61 and more: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Meanwhile: Harbor Freight 46055 - $19.99 http://www.harborfreight.com/variable-speed-jigsaw-46055.html

Amazon has the Bosch 1591, barrel grip, is $179, whereas the 1590, top grip, is $203. I am more familiar with the top grip.
Local Home Depot has the 1590 for $179, also, but online sales only. Maybe with the promotion (below), an additional discount is available.
For anyone else looking at a Bosch, I see Bosch has a promotion ongoing for selected items. Here's a copy of their "Read More" from the Home Depot listing:
Discount Details$20 off a $100 or $40 off $200 or more total purchase of Select Bosch Tools/Accessories. Promo Code: Bosch $20 off w/ the purchase of $100 - $199.99 and $40 off $200 or more of Select Bosch Tools, Measuring Tools, and/or Accessories (ONLINE ONLY) Valid 5/14 -6/23. Offer cannot be combined with any other promotion. Thanks guys. Sonny
Sonny wrote:

try CPO tools or
http://www.cpotools.com/bosch-reconditioned-jig-saws/bosch-reconditioned-jig-saws,default,sc.html
After shopping 2 hours online and then in the local stores, it has been discovered the Bosch 1590EVSL and 1591EVSL has been discontinued. Either of these tools on a store's/outlet's shelf is apparently the only ones available. There are no back orders from Bosch, according to Lowes phone call to Bosch, when trying to order one for me.
I settled with the Bosch JS470E model and blades. I haven't tried it yet, but it'll get a workout today on some custom headboards, for upholstering.
Sonny
Sonny wrote:

post some pics in ABPW, I'd be interested to see 'em I think you'll like the Bosch, just don't get in a hurry if your cutting curves in 2x6 for the frame, the blade drifts a bit in thicker materials