Need a LONG drill bit extension

Okay, I'm not a woodworker, I'm a roofer, but I figured you fine woodworkin' folks might have an answer for me. I use a screwgun for several hours every day, whil bent at the waist to screw down sheets of insulation. It's killing my back. What would be perfect would be a drill bit extension about 30 inches long, so I could stand upright and save myself some pain. Short of having a machine shop make one for me, does anyone know where I could buy such an item?

I doubt it, but you could try techniks. http://www.techniksusa.com /
Either that or ... um... Hmm... MSC? Doubtful!
Much success to you. If you find it, please let me know. I might have an application for it as well which is slightly different.
Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. http://www.autodrill.com http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com
Specifically, you might look for one of these
http://www.techniksusa.com/wood/stshext.htm
But a bit longer. You'll need a collet with the right size to hold your driver bit too. The shank of this "thing" could go into your standard chuck. ...sorta It's a dirty fix, but possible.
--

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com
Northern, NJ
"Lal" wrote in message

I've seen deck sub-contractors use what they call a "muro screw gun" that you can use standing up. Might want to Google it and see what comes up. I understand it's pricey, but so is a back operation.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

I think you are right... Saw this at Home Depot a few years back. You stand up and it drives the "thing" you are driving in the same position as a standard walking cane.
Walk into Home Depot or Loews, etc. and ask.
Probably cheaper than my recently posted fix.
Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. http://www.autodrill.com http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com
"Swingman" wrote in message

Here's a link:
http://www.muro.com/muro/main_frameset.html
Don't faint when you see the price.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

    Yea...it is really easy to get rid of a lot of bucks for this sort of thing.     1) Go over to http://www.ebay.com/ and search for "deck screw gun" (with the quotes). there are often one or two on auction for not too much. Here is one current auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item858904889     Also, "screwgun*" (without the quotes) works well too... although it will bring back a lot of hits you will have to sift through.
    2) Poke around local pawnshops. When outside construction weather goes away, tools like this show up with fair regularity.
    regards     dave mundt
The guys who put down roof decks for my wife use a screw gun with a long (waist high) handle that shoots Robertson head screws from a plastic belt. No bending.
Sounds like you need a QuikDrive or something similar:
http://www.mcfeelys.com/subcat.asp?subcat=3.5.1 http://www.mcfeelys.com/subcat.asp?subcat=3.5.2
Try This....
http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId '&catalogId@027&langId=-1&productId(4496&mainHeader=Tools&categoryId9347&mainCategoryId62&parentProd(1182

Motorbike shop or industrial clothing shop. Get a back belt with a deep back support.

OK. I'll bite. How do you hold the screw to the material when starting it without bending down, or mind you don't break your wrist turning the drill around each time so that you can attach the screw [almost three feet away] first if it's magnetic? Right.
wrote:> OK. I'll bite. How do you hold the screw to the material when

its an auto feeding screw gun. You don't do any of the things you asked about - kind of like a nail gun, only for screws.
Bob

Man, I feel your pain. I think HD has 24" exdensions, Perhaps you could double up 2 shorter ones.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 20:47:19 GMT, Lawrence Wasserman

The guys on Monster House had one in the Moster Tree House episode. I never got a good look at whether it really was 3+ feet long or made of two shorter pieces, but it seemed to work on their PT pine.