Need a good source for Craftsman/Missionary Front door

We are renovating a bungalow style home and would like to put a nice Craftsman or Missionary style front door on in a Mahogany or Cherry type wood . The one at the hardware store the builder is using is $2000. I have to believe I can do better. Anybody know any good internet sources or something in the NH/MA/ME area?

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
jtpr

Have you considered building one yourself? You will spend less time building it then looking. It should also cost you quite a bit less including the bits. Lou

Reply to
Lou

Lou,

Yes, in fact I would love to do it. But with selling one house, renovating the other and commuting to a new job 65 miles each way, I just won't have the time. I have a ton of other projects once we move in. However, I might end up going with a cheap front door and then building one after. I just don't think the bride will go for it. She really wants the outside to look nice once the renovating is done.

That being said, you don't have a location for a plan do you? Just as a backup...

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

Why not oak? Seems a much more appropriate choice of timber for this style?

Incidentally, how does cherry hold up to weather ? It's a rare and expensive timber locally, so it's never used outdoors like this.

Making doors is hard. You really need access to a big shaper and appropriate tooling. A horizontal morticer (or a big vertical) doesn't hurt either. It's expensive to buy and not something you'll find outside a joinery shop that makes doors regularly. Hard work to do without this sort of machinery, although it is possible.

If you talk to a joinery shop directly, you should be able to beat that price, even for a one-off. You'll also get a door that's much better proportioned for your doorway. I hate "off the peg" doors -- there are some real ugly ones around.

You don't need plans, just draw them up yourself, based on the detail drawings appropriate to your cutter set. Panel proportions are best lifted from photos of old doors that you like the style of.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You might try

You might be able to find a door design you like and they have a dealer search button to find a local supplier. They have a wide variety of doors at different price points. I've hung a number of their high end doors over the years and have never received a bad one.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

You might check out the masonite brand, With out knowing additional details on the door, it's hard to know if the price is out of line. I purchased and installed an entry door with side lights and a transom, and and thank god I was sitting down for the $. Toss in an thumbnail transom and take another tick up in price.

good luck.

Reply to
DAC