Need a Boat?

I came across this and thought I would share. I kind of feel a little JOATish :|

Stoutman

Hi Sailor. Wow, Most Impressive.

Reply to
resrfglc

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Sat, Dec 9, 2006, 4:27pm (EST+5) .@. (Stoutman) did osteth: I came across this and thought I would share. I kind of feel a little JOATish :|

Nice. A bit classy for me tho, this would probably be more my style.

Finally, I'm rubbing off on someone here. We'll expect more posts along these lines.

JOAT I am, therefore I think.

Reply to
J T

Man, she's a peach, makes me wish for the time & $ to support a boat habit again.

If anyone is looking for a good starter project to get into boat building, that can be made in a weekend or 2 for under $50 or so, I heartily recommend this one:

of fun and the kids can help too.

Reply to
lwasserm

Sat, Dec 9, 2006, 11:59pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net ( snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net=A0()) dptj sauetj" If anyone is looking for a good starter project to get into boat building, that can be made in a weekend or 2 for under $50 or so, I heartily recommend this one: =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0

Lots of fun and the kids can help too.

That's what they'd call a pond boar around here. Stick it in the back of you pickup, drive to a farm pond, and go fishing. That's about all they're good for. Sounds like a better idea than it is.

This is one of what "I'd" consider a good small boat, starter or otherwise.

am, therefore I think.

Reply to
J T

--Wow thanks for the link to duckworks; never heard of 'em before! Neat stuff there.. :-)

Reply to
steamer

Sun, Dec 10, 2006, 5:32pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net (steamer) doth thankfully sayeth: =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0--Wow thanks for the link to duckworks; never heard of 'em before! Neat stuff there.. :-)

Surprised you'd never heard of Duckwoks. Then I'm sure you've probably never heard of this site. Duckwork's stuff is neat, but the stuff here is REALLY neat.

am, therefore I think.

Reply to
J T

--Wow thanks for the link to duckworks; never heard of 'em before! Neat stuff there.. :-)

Surprised you'd never heard of Duckwoks. Then I'm sure you've probably never heard of this site. Duckwork's stuff is neat, but the stuff here is REALLY neat.

is wildly creative stuff there. He is having too much fun!

What I wondered about this is what catagory would you put somebody like this into? Putting steam engines into things is obviously a throwback of some kind. But putting them into radio controlled walkers, tanks and rovers?? Reminds me of some of that old, traditional jules verne style science fiction.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Even more surprising, no pucky ducks!

Reply to
fredfighter

Mon, Dec 11, 2006, 10:07am leemichaels*nadaspam*@comcast.net That is wildly creative stuff there. He is having too much fun! What I wondered about this is what catagory would you put somebody like this into? Putting steam engines into things is obviously a throwback of some kind. But putting them into radio controlled walkers, tanks and rovers?? Reminds me of some of that old, traditional jules verne style science fiction.

Well, actually steam is still alive, and doing quite well. Besides bing how your popcorn pops that is. Nuclear subs and ships are powered by glorified steam engines. A lot of plants use steam, and have found that instead of venting wast steam into the air, run it thru a steam engine first, and no fule cost power. I don't know if they're still doing it, but just a few years back China was still making one or two steam locomotive per day - huge coal reserves I understand. And, I understand a large percentage of the world's freighters are still steam powered.

Steam is a lot of fun too, you can make a steam engine with just basic tools, and have it run, even if it's inefficient. Try making even a one cylinder internal combustion engine without a lot of high priced machinery. A lot's been said about steam boilers blowing up, and how dangerous they are. Steam boilers are pressure vessels, and yes, can explode. However, that's caused by poor, or no, maintenance; improper construction; excessive pressure, etc. Use a monotube boiler, and no such prob; a monotube boiler is a coil of tubing that water is pumped thru and heated as it goes thru, so steam comes out the other end. Model steam monotube boilers, made from copper tuving, have been observed at up to 3,000 lbs steam pressure, without blowing. And, if they do, it just pops a hole in the tubing, releasing all the steam, no explsion.

Unfortunatly, in my view, most of the hobby steam stuff seems directed toward locomotives. Me, I'm more interested in steam boats, and steam bikes.

JOAT I am, therefore I think.

Reply to
J T

Mon, Dec 11, 2006, 9:25am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net doth state: Even more surprising, no pucky ducks!

Well, if it'll make you happy.

am, therefore I think.

Reply to
J T

No explosion but if part of your body is in the wrong place at the wrong time a jet of 3000 PSI steam will take everything right down to the bone, right quick. Imagine a totally invisible oxyacetylene flame with a bad attitude.

Always treat live steam with respect, it can and will hurt you if you let it. Exploding things is only one of the ways.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Tue, Dec 12, 2006, 2:30pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J.=A0Clarke) doth sayeth: No explosion but if part of your body is in the wrong place at the wrong time a jet of 3000 PSI steam will take everything right down to the bone, right quick. Imagine a totally invisible oxyacetylene flame with a bad attitude.

Yes, quite true. However the tubing is meant to be in a insulated case or jacket, which would not only contain the heat, but would contain the jet of steam if the tubing blew. Just in case, I'd definitely not be looking at the tubing while it's being heated. Actually, in practice, I think there'd be more of a cloud of steam than a jet of steam, the tubing usually peels for an inch or two. Regardless, I'd definitely not want any part of my skin near it when if it let go.

JOAT Where does Batman buy gas for the Batmobile?

Reply to
J T

Totally irrelevant aside but isn't the Batmobile nuclear?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Wed, Dec 13, 2006, 1:00am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J.=A0Clarke) doth query: Totally irrelevant aside but isn't the Batmobile nuclear?

Dunno, I do know the latest movie version of the Batmobile has got a 350 Chebby engine.. But, if it is supposed to be nuclear, is he supposed to get his nuclear fuel?

JOAT Where does Batman buy gas for the Batmobile?

Reply to
J T

Maybe it came fueled for 20 years?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Thu, Dec 14, 2006, 12:00pm (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J.=A0Clarke) On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 02:02:28 -0500, J T wrote: Wed, Dec 13, 2006, 1:00am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J.=C2=A0Clarke) doth query: Totally irrelevant aside but isn't the Batmobile nuclear? =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Dunno, I do know the latest movie version of the Batmobile has got a 350 Chebby engine.. But, if it is supposed to be nuclear, is he supposed to get his nuclear fuel? Maybe it came fueled for 20 years?

Maybe it's electric, and he jjut plugs it in to recharge. In which case it could ultimately be steam powered - according to Modern Marvels, on the History Channel, 50% of all electricity iin the United States s generated using coal - which means steam turbines. Steam is alive and well.

JOAT Where does Batman buy gas for the Batmobile?

Reply to
J T

--Oh yeah I met him at the Makers Faire. Most of what he's done is assembled stuff that's available on the market but he's definitely got imagination! ;-)

Reply to
steamer

--Hey let's talk! I've got a steamboat and I've got a pal with a steam bike! :-) Next year's project: a MIDI calliope, bwahaha!

Reply to
steamer