Need a Boat?

Page 1 of 2
I came across this and thought I would share. I kind of feel a little JOATish :|
http://www.bronkalla.com /
--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Love that style. Real classy.
Sat, Dec 9, 2006, 4:27pm (EST+5) .@. (Stoutman) did osteth: I came across this and thought I would share. I kind of feel a little JOATish :|
Nice. A bit classy for me tho, this would probably be more my style. http://www.uppermon.org/about/RudyDuck.htm
Finally, I'm rubbing off on someone here. We'll expect more posts along these lines.
JOAT I am, therefore I think.

Man, she's a peach, makes me wish for the time & $ to support a boat habit again.
If anyone is looking for a good starter project to get into boat building, that can be made in a weekend or 2 for under $50 or so, I heartily recommend this one:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/herbert.mcleod/skiff.htm
Lots of fun and the kids can help too.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Sat, Dec 9, 2006, 11:59pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net ( snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net()) dptj sauetj" If anyone is looking for a good starter project to get into boat building, that can be made in a weekend or 2 for under $50 or so, I heartily recommend this one: http://www3.sympatico.ca/herbert.mcleod/skiff.htm Lots of fun and the kids can help too.
That's what they'd call a pond boar around here. Stick it in the back of you pickup, drive to a farm pond, and go fishing. That's about all they're good for. Sounds like a better idea than it is.
This is one of what "I'd" consider a good small boat, starter or otherwise. http://www.cliffisland.com/hans.html http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/00/DM1999/articles/Seth/index.htm http://www.instantboats.com/tortoise.htm
JOAT I am, therefore I think.
    --Wow thanks for the link to duckworks; never heard of 'em before! Neat stuff there.. :-)
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : One joy of middle age
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : is precision flatulence...
(steamer) doth thankfully sayeth: --Wow thanks for the link to duckworks; never heard of 'em before! Neat stuff there.. :-)
Surprised you'd never heard of Duckwoks. Then I'm sure you've probably never heard of this site. Duckwork's stuff is neat, but the stuff here is REALLY neat. http://www.crabfu.com /
That is wildly creative stuff there. He is having too much fun!
What I wondered about this is what catagory would you put somebody like this into? Putting steam engines into things is obviously a throwback of some kind. But putting them into radio controlled walkers, tanks and rovers?? Reminds me of some of that old, traditional jules verne style science fiction.
Mon, Dec 11, 2006, 10:07am leemichaels*nadaspam*@comcast.net That is wildly creative stuff there. He is having too much fun! What I wondered about this is what catagory would you put somebody like this into? Putting steam engines into things is obviously a throwback of some kind. But putting them into radio controlled walkers, tanks and rovers?? Reminds me of some of that old, traditional jules verne style science fiction.
Well, actually steam is still alive, and doing quite well. Besides bing how your popcorn pops that is. Nuclear subs and ships are powered by glorified steam engines. A lot of plants use steam, and have found that instead of venting wast steam into the air, run it thru a steam engine first, and no fule cost power. I don't know if they're still doing it, but just a few years back China was still making one or two steam locomotive per day - huge coal reserves I understand. And, I understand a large percentage of the world's freighters are still steam powered.
Steam is a lot of fun too, you can make a steam engine with just basic tools, and have it run, even if it's inefficient. Try making even a one cylinder internal combustion engine without a lot of high priced machinery. A lot's been said about steam boilers blowing up, and how dangerous they are. Steam boilers are pressure vessels, and yes, can explode. However, that's caused by poor, or no, maintenance; improper construction; excessive pressure, etc. Use a monotube boiler, and no such prob; a monotube boiler is a coil of tubing that water is pumped thru and heated as it goes thru, so steam comes out the other end. Model steam monotube boilers, made from copper tuving, have been observed at up to 3,000 lbs steam pressure, without blowing. And, if they do, it just pops a hole in the tubing, releasing all the steam, no explsion.
Unfortunatly, in my view, most of the hobby steam stuff seems directed toward locomotives. Me, I'm more interested in steam boats, and steam bikes.
JOAT I am, therefore I think.
On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 07:51:31 -0500, J T wrote:

No explosion but if part of your body is in the wrong place at the wrong time a jet of 3000 PSI steam will take everything right down to the bone, right quick. Imagine a totally invisible oxyacetylene flame with a bad attitude.
Always treat live steam with respect, it can and will hurt you if you let it. Exploding things is only one of the ways.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 18:42:23 -0500, J T wrote:

Totally irrelevant aside but isn't the Batmobile nuclear?
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Wed, Dec 13, 2006, 1:00am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J.Clarke) doth query: Totally irrelevant aside but isn't the Batmobile nuclear?
Dunno, I do know the latest movie version of the Batmobile has got a 350 Chebby engine.. But, if it is supposed to be nuclear, is he supposed to get his nuclear fuel?
JOAT Where does Batman buy gas for the Batmobile?
On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 02:02:28 -0500, J T wrote:

Maybe it came fueled for 20 years?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Thu, Dec 14, 2006, 12:00pm (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J.Clarke) On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 02:02:28 -0500, J T wrote: Wed, Dec 13, 2006, 1:00am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J. Clarke) doth query: Totally irrelevant aside but isn't the Batmobile nuclear? Dunno, I do know the latest movie version of the Batmobile has got a 350 Chebby engine.. But, if it is supposed to be nuclear, is he supposed to get his nuclear fuel? Maybe it came fueled for 20 years?
Maybe it's electric, and he jjut plugs it in to recharge. In which case it could ultimately be steam powered - according to Modern Marvels, on the History Channel, 50% of all electricity iin the United States s generated using coal - which means steam turbines. Steam is alive and well.
JOAT Where does Batman buy gas for the Batmobile?

steam bike! :-) Next year's project: a MIDI calliope, bwahaha!
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : One joy of middle age
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : is precision flatulence...
Sat, Dec 16, 2006, 5:46pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net (steamer) doth sayeth: --Hey let's talk! I've got a steamboat and I've got a pal with a steam bike! :-) Next year's project: a MIDI calliope, bwahaha!
My e-mail is valid. I'm finally getting to the point where I'll be in a position to start building a boat - hopefully. And, a steam engine for it. And maybe a steam bike. Been interested in steam for a lonnng time. Got my copy of Seamboats and Modern Steam Launches in 1975, and got interested years earlier than that. Got the design mostly figured out, but probably went be finalized until I get the space to start work. Already got the name for it tho, The Prid of Ankh-Morpork.
JOAT Chubby had not demanded much out of life, and had got it.
J T wrote:

Even more surprising, no pucky ducks!
--

FF