Need 14" Band Saw blade recommendations

Reply to
nospambob

Hello, I just picked up a used, but in excellent condition, 14" Delta 28-299. And I'd like to get two, three, maybe four blades to work with.

What blades and sizes are most useful? Good deals? Any insight here would be appreciated. Thanks, Grant

Reply to
Grant

Highland hardware sells Woodslicer blades (and others) at

Machinery sell Timberwolf blades at
are very good. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

For resawing, you want either a 1/2" 3 tpi for resawing. Some may suggest a 3/4" and that is better if your saw can tension it. Most 14" can't even if they can hold it.

For general purpose, get a 3/8" with around 6tpi.

For scroll work, tight curves, get a 3/16" or even a 1/8" if you plan on doing really tight curves.

The majority here like Timberwolf blades. I do to but my favorites are Olsen All-Pro for the smaller blades an an MVP for the 1/2" resaw blade.

Reply to
Bruce

=================================== Timberwolf blades without a doubt....HOWEVER I honestly would NOT purchase 3 or 4 blades this soon after buying... Wait until you find a need for a "special blade" 95 percent of my work is handled with a 1/4 in 6 tpi blade... If you anticipate doing a lot or resaawing then a blade for that purpose is in order...so at most I would tell you to buy maybe 2 blades....

Now I will go read what the other replies stated....

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Reply to
nospambob

The problem with waiting till you need it is that you don't have it when you need it and will have to wait a few days while you order. The problem with a 1/4" blade is that for the large sweeping curved type deals, it won't cut a smooth arc. I like a 3/8" for general purpose.

Reply to
Bruce

As a starter set: A 1/2", 3 or 4 TPI blade for resawing, a 3/8", 6 TPI for general work, and a 1/4", 14 TPI for fine work.

As far as brands go, a lot of folks here like the Timberwolf blades, but I find them unimpressive. (When FWW tested bandsaw blades a few months ago, they didn't think too much of them either.)

For everyday use, I like the Olson FB blades. Performance comparable to Timberwolf or even a bit better, at about half the cost.

For critical resawing, where you're producing thin slices and looking for a near-perfect surface, nothing comes close to the Highland Hardware Woodslicer. But it's not cheap -- about twice the price of a Timberwolf, four times the price of an Olson FB.

I also recommend that you pick up a c>Hello,

John Carlson

Would you elaborate on "doesn't fit properly?" I added the riser to my G0555 with no trouble.

Reply to
Bruce

Two weeks ago and I ordered TWO Timberwolf blades for my new Grizzly G0555. One of them is 1/2", 0.025 4 TPI. Anyway, the results were very disappointing. Timberwolf sends me a new replacement. The blade have a regular clicking sound and I am trying to determine whether it is the bandsaw problems or blade. Grizzly bandsaw's riser block does not fit properly even after I have added a

1/16" shim at the lower wheel.

I am still waiting for Grizzly to come back to me and help me to solve the problems.

Shall I buy Woodslicer blades?

Reply to
WD

ok. Does that matter once the 5/8" bolt provided is torqued?

I'm not sure I get what is off that would make the blade move forward and back. 3/32" back from what? Are the wheels coplaner?

Reply to
Bruce

Two problems with the riser block.

A) Riser Block lower surface's dowel pins fit perfectly. The upper surface's dowel pins fit one hole and the other hole are oversize. The top section casting can move sideways due to the oversize hole.

C) Riser Block lower mating surface match the lower casting. Top mating surface does not match the top section casting, it is off set by approximately 3/32" backward. Even after I compensate it by adding 1/16" shim on the lower wheel, you can still see the blade move forward and backward.

Reply to
WD

I disagree. A copy of Duginske and a (sensible) range of blades ASAP after getting the machine. A bandsaw is improved by using the right blade - shame to fudge it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The riser block and/or top section moves very much slightly when I place my hand to feel it (with the clicking sound). And if I tighten any more I would have strip the nut as the washer show sign of over toque.

The blade moves forward/backward due to two causes: Both top and lower alum. wheels are warp and the new Suffolk blade misaligned at the welded section.

The wheels are not coplanar, about 3/32" out, I managed to add a 1/16" shim to the lower wheel and bring the wheels to coplanar.

Coming to two weeks and STILL waiting for Grizzly to come up with a solution or replacement top wheel. EVERYONE, here praised Grizzly for their EXCELLENT customer services????? Even Suffolk have send their replacement blade (rather reluctantly, I must add by the tone of the voice).

Reply to
WD