Need 1/4 brass pins-- any good sources?

I'm working on a project that requires short 1/4" diameter metal pins. They'd be similar to shelf pins, but without that flattened end on which the shelf rests. Basically, short 1/4" diameter cylinders, no more than a half inch to three-quarters of an inch in length, brass or stainless steel. None of the big supply stores seem to carry anything like these. Any suppliers who can provide these?
In case you're wondering, the project is a set of barrister bookcases as described in a book of bookcase designs. The doors have channels in the sides, and they ride on these pins. Very neat design.
BrianSiano wrote:

McMaster-Carr for sure online; any local metal supplier or machine shop should have no problem
Thanks to all. I wound up buying a 1/4" steel rod, and did a routine where I bevelled the tip with a grinder and cut it off at 3/4". They worked great, and other than worrying about sparks igniting sawdust, I'll use that method for the final project.

Take a look at Lee Valley.
The "shelf supports with the flattened ends are marked as "economy"
I believe these are what you are seeking:
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=1&p=40184&cat=3,43648,43649&ap=1
P D Q

Those could actually be removed for finishing, and they're certainly cheep enough.
: I'm working on a project that requires short 1/4" diameter metal pins. : They'd be similar to shelf pins, but without that flattened end on : which the shelf rests. Basically, short 1/4" diameter cylinders, no : more than a half inch to three-quarters of an inch in length, brass or : stainless steel. None of the big supply stores seem to carry anything : like these. Any suppliers who can provide these? : : In case you're wondering, the project is a set of barrister bookcases : as described in a book of bookcase designs. The doors have channels in : the sides, and they ride on these pins. Very neat design.
A good hardware store should have 1/4" rod of various metals. Buy one and make your own pins. Art

If you're making your own, Harbor Freight carries a mini chop saw that would make the job easy. It's about $30, and the blades are $3.33333333 each. I use mine all the time for model railroading stuff. It's no problem cutting through .100" Nickel-Silver rail.
Puckdropper
On 8/9/2009 11:16 PM Puckdropper spake thus:

This one? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?ItemnumberB307

If I'm not too lazy to change a blade, I use the bandsaw. If it's only for a few, I use a hacksaw. For when I'm really lazy, I chuck it up in the drillpress and use a hacksaw. In any case, I chuck it up in the drillpress to smooth and bevel the ends and clean it up with a file.

Yep.
On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 10:30:41 -0700, David Nebenzahl

Nice! What does it use for "blades"? Are they easily changed? I could use that for cutting threaded rod. I use a Dremel now, but the results aren't great.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?ItemnumberB805
They're 2" circular saw blades. To change them, simply slide the guard off and remove the phillips head screw. Swap the blades out and reinstall. It takes less than 10 minutes, including time to find a Phillips screwdriver. (Why are prybar screwdrivers all I can find when I need a real screwdriver?)
Puckdropper
BrianSiano wrote:

First thought is brass rod and cut your own.
Second thought is to google a little deeper. I was just looking for shelf pins and can swear I saw straight 1/4" brass pins with no flattened end.
--

-MIKE-

On 8/9/2009 1:02 PM -MIKE- spake thus:

First, second and third thought; why would you even try to buy some ready-made, unless you needed like a thousand of them? Cutting and finishing, even with only a hacksaw and file, is an absolute no-brainer.

brass drill rod and a hacksaw.
scott
BrianSiano wrote:

I just finished making a batch of those in stainless steel. :)
Enco - http://www.use-enco.com - part 505-3714 is a 1/4" x 72" alloy 360 brass rod and sells for US$11.95 each. Cut 'em slightly overlength and polish to exact size with a grinder.
If you're near salt water, they have 'em in alloy 464 naval brass (resists corrosion better) for US$13.95
HTH
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar