Neat Router Table Idea

Yeah, I have no idea what these other folks are complaining about...

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I have a website on Fortune City. When the problems were pointed out to me I contacted Fortune City. They said, yes, some of their advertisers did use spyware. It only works, according to them, if you run with Active-X enabled.

When I asked if they'd object if I put a warning to this effect on my web page, they said it was fine with them. So I did.

So disable Active-X or set it to ask you for an OK and you'll be free of spyware from any site - at least the kind that uses Active-X.

To see the warning go (with Active-X disabled) to:

Larry Blanchard

I can't resist pointing out that it was just another ordinary web page to me, a Linux user. Whatever stuff it was trying to do didn't affect me.

Reply to
Silvan

ZoneAlarm detected the mshta.exe program trying to access the web immediately after opening that link.

Reply to
2manytoyz

Sorry if this is OT, but Googling, I discovered this is apparently a type of attack I haven't heard of before. Here's a July 29, 03 link.

'm testing a web-services app and the client uses mshta.exe. I'm going to reboot before going back to "normal" web surfing.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Hackers are crafty little snots with no life. It never ceases to amaze how many ways they can screw up my computers. I'm running Pest Patrol, NAV, and ZoneAlarm (freeware). Fortunately, ZA caught it. It notifies me each time a program tries to access the web. Worth installing if you don't have a personal firewall yet. And, FWIW, this is on topic as the WW link caused this discussion!

Robert

Reply to
2manytoyz

Then it sounds Zone Alarm stops the nasty little spyware program from using mshta.exe, while an up to date Norton AV stops it from being installed in the first place.

Reply to
Rico

Well, I'm cheap. My multi-billion Fortune 500 company trusts it with our network and licenses it free for every employee for home use.

Reply to
Bruce

I've answered this once but I'll point out that I use MOZILLA for a web browser which is why it didn't give me any trouble, just like the guy bragging about running Linux.

Reply to
Bruce

Of course Zone Alarm has a known bug where it begins running at a higher priority than it should and slows your system to a crawl till you reboot.

Reply to
Bruce

IMO...Don't visit _any_ site with IE ;)

Reply to
Chris Merrill

News to me. I have it on 3 computers at home, another at work. One machine stays on 24/7. The others are on 7-10 hours a day. Two of the machines are only 400 MHz Celeron Emachines. Haven't noticed any sort of reduction of speed after hours of use. Surfin the web on my cable modem, burning DVDs, ripping CDs, downloading music, running Photoshop 7... you know, the usual stuff.

I'll keep it, works great for me.

Robert

Reply to
2manytoyz

People are free to put whatever they want on their websites.

The real asses (not you) is the fools who run software that is so insecure that it requires a new security patch every two weeks...and then whines when something insecure happens. Duh.

The original poster should get a decent browser!

Reply to
Chris Merrill

Hey, it stopped you! Tom. Bruise wrote:>Of course Zone Alarm has a known bug where it begins running at a higher

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

It isn't news to zone alarm. The reason I know about this is because I helped a friend figure out what was wrong with her computer and this is a documented bug. I'm not sayint it effects all system, not even sure which ones it does effect. If you like it, rock on. As I've said, I prefer one piece of software rather than adding a program like that to do the work the original program should be doing.

Reply to
Bruce

So would a sledgehammer. Do you advocate that?

Reply to
Bruce

this thread is foolish, let's kill it. Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom