Neanderthal Starter Kit?

Page 2 of 2

Enoch Root wrote:

So I've been told. The next time I see an unemployed young man being carted around by his girlfriend because he has no concept or role model of what it is to be a man, I'll remind myself that it's just a joke. The next time I'm out riding with one of my buddies and all of a sudden he has to go home because his wife/girlfriend called and wants him to come home and do the dishes and why is he out riding around without her, I'll just smile and tell myself it's all in fun. The next time I hear in this group that some dude needs to work on his woman so that she will let him buy a new tool, I will remember not to let my hackles be raised because he's obviously just joshin around. :-)

Tis a wonderful thing.

Me? Call you? That must have been some other dude. I am always most polite and restrained in conversation.
Joe Barta

No one called you "submissive", we were talking about 'women' as such, in retrospect to men.

Nothing!
On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 14:35:50 -0800, Mighty Quinn wrote:

I recently discovered that one of my co-workers is into woodworking too, so we've had a chance to 'talk shop' as it were a few times recently. Pity he's a total normite though, didn't even know what a hand plane was till I showed him a picture :(

Thanks! It's kind of a proto-project since it was put together with a jigsaw, a powerdrill and a few wrenches (all hand-me-downs from my dad) it wasn't until about a year after that was built that I really picked up WWing as a hobby. Since those pictures were taken I've sanded it and put a lite coat of mineral oil and a layer of paste wax on it, to pretty it up a bit. I'm very pleased with it on a functional level but at some point I'd like to redo it now that I more or less know what I'm doing and make something a little prettier. I still brew but not as often as I used to, beer consumption is down to the point where I only brew about four to six times a year now. Five gallons of beer lasts a lot longer now than it did when I was still in college... :-)
Cheers,
Josh

Still, I have cut my fingers open on my chisels. Too easy.

I am "the same" and "doing the same" as a hobby.

Tune it up. it's all over the 'net.
Now buy an old-but-decent Stanley No. 6 on eBay, I just bought one for $21 there (+S/H). It makes a fine jointer for small work. Also try to find a 3/4" or 1" shoulder plane for as cheap as possible. Stanley 78 with blade, fence, nicker, and depth stop. Eventually.

Is it a low angle block plane? New about $40 online somewhere, like here: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pA228&cat=1,41182 If tuned, it's good enough.

Modern and plastic handled? Poor steel. Try these Buck Bros., excellent steel with leather capped hickory handles, these 'bench chisels' are a *great deal*: http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/BuckBrosChisels.htm I have some of these, and they take a mean scary sharp edge too. On glass and paper, I finish with 1200 grit from Harbour Freight, $5.99 for 20 sheets. The paring chisels are also important to have, I bought the crank necked Bucks.
Another very effect way is with this Arkansas soft stone, best deal online anywhere, eBay search engine: 7201427792 >jpfarm is a trustworthy seller in my experience. See everything he's got.
After that, a leather strop of your own cutting (got a saddlery in town?), Use cheap blue/gray emery cake on one half of the smooth top (hardware store), and green Lee Valley 0.5 micron on the other. Mr. Lee suggests using tallow in the leather, so I went to the market and got a bag of free beef fat, chopped it up fine and boiled it to render over low heat with a lid for about 45 minutes (lots of water), refrigerated, and took it off the top. Unsalted butter is essentially the same, but too expensive. You can do as good as can possibly be done with these two items. But I would still use the 1200 on glass for finalizing the back flattening, which also does further deburring and mirroring.

Awesome! Got a mitre box? Bench hook? See 'Planing notes about the shooting board: http://www.amgron.clara.net/index.htm and everything else.
You will also want to sharpen them when needed, you can make an adapter made of Fir for the blades of saws that will fit into your bench's front vise. You will need small triangular taper files with wooden handles, the size of the file relates to points per inch. Instructions are all over the 'net.
If needed, go to a pool supply store and buy 'coping' to use as teeth protectors. This is used for above ground pools to clip the lining to the top edge. Super cheap, I paid $0.50 each for 24" pieces, but try to find 48" so you can cut to size.
Depending on how the teeth are filed, a saw is either crosscut or rip, this is specific for dovetail saws (rip), tennon saws (both) and both are used for other small work. The more PPI, crosscut, the less PPI, rip. Same goes for large hand saws, 8- 12 is crosscut, 5 - 7, rip. The filling shapes of the teeth are different for both. What... you knew that? All over the 'net.

Got bench dogs? If not, you can make them: http://tomecat.com/jeffy/ww/bench/dog /
What about vises? If not, you can make a 'leg vise' with this bench screw: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pA664&cat=1,41659 http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/shop.html and http://tomecat.com/jeffy/ww/bench / An end vise is also necassary (large): http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p1137&cat=1,41659,41661&ap=1

They throw out nice pieces, good for small projects.
I had nuthin' better to do so I hope this helped,
--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

If you've gone and built a bench then you already have your "starter kit". You can augment it by judicious shopping on eBay and through neighborhood garage sales.
Get some glass and wet-dry sandpaper and learn to sharpen. It's much cheaper than waterstones and you won't be out big bucks if you drop it on the floor by accident some day. Sharp tools are essential to success, especially to a neander-in-training.
You will reduce the sweat output on the next project by getting a decent set of bench chisels (ranging from 1/4" to 1") and by tuning and sharpening those planes. Likewise some files and rasps will serve you well for shaping and contouring.
Get some garnet sandpaper in various grits and learn to put a nice finish on your next pieces. (Sandpaper is a tool too.)
Pick up the above (piecemeal) as your next few projects require (including shellac, stain, varnish, etc.)
With just chisels and your saws and planes you could build SWMBO a pine or cedar blanket chest. If she likes it maybe she'll make a contribution to your tool fund on your next birthday. (She will be more likely to like the piece if you practice your dovetailing on your shop furniture or personal toolbox first).
Consider also making some things for the kids. They won't toddle for long. Kid size table, chairs, playthings, coat racks, toyboxes, etc. are good skill builders and the kids will doubtless give your joinery a good strength test.
By then it should be obvious to you which tools you'll need for your next project and whether to buy them or make them yourself. Most everything a neander wants he can make -- except time.
J.
Mighty Quinn wrote:

[snip]

There are a lot of good responses so far. Cheap tools? Forget eBay for now. Think local used. Cost of shipping can be high, and the basic starter tools should be fairly easy to find locally. If you can't find it, try eBay last. It will be there, and there are some bargains, unless it is something I want/need....plus shipping/handling.
Make some time every month to hit a local old junk/antiques flea market or two (avoid the ones full of "new stuff"). Even SWMBO can enjoy something like this. Near Houston we have route 105 which has about 12 miles of various flea markets and yard sales, many of which can be the answer to a dumpster divers dreams. I've picked up chisels, hammer heads, screwdrivers, etc for as little as 10 cents, yep, a dime, each. Planes, saws, squares, etc. cost more, but you can still sometimes find an old Stanley block plane for a couple of bucks. Look for the dirty stuff, especially if it is in piles. Claw through everything. Haggle over the prices. The dirt cleans up easily, and so does almost all of the rust. Price goes up by a factor of 10 if it has been washed for sale.
I outfitted a small one-man blacksmith shop this way, and never paid more than $10 for any one item, other than a set of hot/cold hardies and my big leg vise. I think I paid $35 for that. I got the only straight pein hammer I've ever seen for a buck years ago. I'm gonna be buried with that hammer.
Let your friends and family know what you're looking for. Offer to clean out old sheds and garages for what you can keep. Be amazed what Aunt Nellie has in the back shed. Might be something you could really use, then again, you might just be amazed at what a wild woman she must have been in her younger years (DAMHIKT).
Regards, Roy
Buy a good pocket knife and start whittling. Minimal material and space requirements. Critters, wood chains, balls in cages, fans . . . ad infinitum will get a lot of attention. I suggest a steel knife, not a stone one unless you're a real Neanderthal purist.<G> Bugs
I'll say it again. Drawknife.

Once again, thanks. In the past 24 hours I've tracked down the local contact for the Midwestern Tool Collectors Association (I knew living in the midwest had advantages). Seems they have a 'meet' in March. I'm saving my pennies now.
You guys are great - and knowledgable. These idea's will keep me going for some time to come. I'll be scoping out the used tool stores as well.
Still, I must comment on Joe Barta's comments about SWMBO. First, I'm a big fan of Rumpole of the Bailey, so I love the euphamism. Second, regarding your role models for female relationships: Humphrey Bogart was married four times. John Wayne was married three. Errol Flynn also married three times, and was courting a 15-year-old when he died. Neanderthals they may be, but I'm really hoping to stick with just one wife for now. I'm very happy with Mrs. Mighty Quinn :-)
Thanks again everyone. I'll post updates on this Neanderthal's progress (or lack thereof).
John
Mighty Quinn wrote:

Of course you do... I hit a nerve ;-)

Fair enough. I'd reckon though that most users of the term have no idea where it came from. They just think it's "cute".

I knew that no matter who I picked, dirt could be dug up on them. And truly, all great men are flawed. But let's not lose the big picture for the details.

That's a wonderful thing and I wish you the best.
Joe Barta
207.115.17.102:

I guess that depends on whether you mean "most users of the term" in the world at large, or just those of us posting here.
If the former, I don't really know. Of the latter, I think most folks here know the derivation, and understand the humor involved. Tongue in cheek, and all of that ...
Of course, YMMV.
--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....
John Thomas wrote:

Oh, so I've just misunderstood? It's all a big joke? So when a man says that SWMBO "won't let him" do this that or the other thing, he's just kidding? Ha ha? And when another suggests he needs SWMBO's approval or overcome her veto in order to buy some power tool, he's just funnin?
And do you think there are any modern women who use the term HWMBO?
There was a movie I saw recently about a young man whose father came from India to live with him in America after the father's wife died. The son's wife was a modern yuppie frazzled controlling headcase and she was running to work leaving their small child with a nanny. The older father asked his son, why do you permit her to work? To which the son didn't have much of an answer other than it doesn't work like that in this country. It was an interesting clash of culture.
I say no one needs to obey anyone... unless it's a cop... and he's pointing a gun at you... and he tells you to put your hands behind your head. Then it might be wise to obey now and argue about it later ;-)
Joe Barta

Yes. When did you have the humorectomy? Any other side effects?