Neandering...

Page 2 of 2

: I know this may be a semi-religous question, but have you found any real : value in joining the 'flat plane society' ?
Some might see the light by looking at my web site -> Planing Notes -> Join The Flat Sole Brigade.
'Coping With Gnarly Grain' might possibly convince those who need a high standard of finish.
Jeff G
-- Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK Email address is username@ISP username is amgron ISP is clara.co.uk www.amgron.clara.net
CW wrote:

Or, um, buy an inexpensive pack chock full of sandpaper and avoid destroying a $6 belt. :)
Seriously though, how much risk of harm is there? It's a stationary belt sander, not a portable one, and the platten is quite flat. I'll go check it with a piece of granite tomorrow, but I'd bet it's just as flat. Maybe I'm in for a surprise.

Hmmm... Along these lines... I wonder if I could flatten my warped table saw (aluminum) with a piece of self-stick sandpaper affixed to a block of granite. I have some big blocks of granite maybe 4" wide and 14" long. I could use several sheets stuck edge to edge or whatever it took. Let the weight do the job, and just slide it back and forth... Maybe I could get it flat, or closer to being flat. I can't set the blade perpendicular to the table on both sides of the table simultaneously, which is rather unsettling to say the least.
Replacing the saw is a subject that has been beaten to death already, but I'm stuck with it for some time yet. I tuned it up, and have been impressed with the new-found quality of my cuts until today, when I noticed that my rips are still some fraction of a degree off 90. I want to dial it the rest of the way, and it's damn near impossible. Of course the table surface itself could be entirely to blame. This was narrow stock, and I'll bet it went right into the dip on the left side of the blade... I was probably testing with wider stock, which would tend to average out the problem by riding on the high spots.
Mostly thinking out loud, sorry...