Neandering...

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 23:44:59 +0000 (UTC), John Thomas queried:

Well, my circa 1919 #7C rocked when it was put on a flat surface, so I just assumed the galoots on the wreck were right about removing twist in the sole when I first started lurking here about 1996. I also have a warped #32 Transitional (wooden body with regular Stanley hardware to hold the blade), and it's pretty hard to joint an edge with it. I haven't got around to fixing it up yet other than sharpening the blade, as I will also have to mortise in a patch to make the mouth smaller.

I'm not too hung up about seeing slivers of light. I figure that as long as the mouth, toe and heel are in a plane, and no bumps sticking out in between, it should be OK. After all, that's how the japanese flatten their planes. Which reminds me, I also have a Footprint jack plane where the mouth was higher than most of the sole. Noticeable improvement after flattening. I could not take thin shavings before, now I can.

Agree on that.

Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

"John Thomas"

: I know this may be a semi-religous question, but have you found any real : value in joining the 'flat plane society' ?

Some might see the light by looking at my web site -> Planing Notes -> Join The Flat Sole Brigade.

'Coping With Gnarly Grain' might possibly convince those who need a high standard of finish.

Jeff G

-- Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK Email address is username@ISP username is amgron ISP is clara.co.uk

Jeff Gorman