NEANDER BOOK bargain

Was in at Borders Books, on Saturday, and found Roy Underhill's "The Woodwright's Shop, Exploring Traditional Woodcraft" on the 'bargains' table at the outrageous price of $7.99.

This is the "revised edition", containing both the original 'Woodwright's Shop', and it's follow-up 'The Woodwright's Companion'.

The anecdote at the end of chapter one, *alone*, makes the book worth buying. I quote: "... It's not an easy feeling-- standing there in the woods, knowing that all the trees are laughing at you."

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Hi Robert,

I always enjoyed watching Roy's show on PBS, even tho I could never see myself using all the "primitive" tools he used. Still, a woodworker could learn a lot of the basics from his show and then sort of adapt it to 120V AC (or 220)!

I'm going to check out my local Borders-thanks for the heads-up.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

... snip

Even when you're holding an axe?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Well, in the scene described, a tree had *just* thrown his axe (along with some other tools, and a water bottle) into the _middle_ of the nearby river.

He _makes_ the remark *after* having retrieved the axe, so I guess the answer to your question is "yes".

I repeat: "The anecdote at the end of chapter one, *alone*, makes the book worth buying."

Reply to
Robert Bonomi