NAKASHIMA INSPIRED TABLE

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/features/fea.asp?id 91
I've seen pictures of some of his stuff that I liked a whole lot better than this.
Kind of looks like it was made from the cut off bin at the local sawmill. Maybe he was impatient waiting for his lumber delivery to arrive and went dumpster diving. :-)
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 02:42:44 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

This looks wrong. I think the top is too small for the base, or if it's to be this size it should be closer to the floor. Plus, I don't think Nakashima would use a metal "T" bracket, I think something clever in terms of wood to wood joinery would have been done by him.
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 02:42:44 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

That's Poplar Woodowrking for you - take a good idea, fail to understand it, and produce the cheap ugly version of it.
J T wrote:

Ugh. Wrong porportions, and that shiny finish makes the natural edge actually look fake. Nice thought but the design missed.
PK
Looks more like it's Nagasaki-inspired.
B.

Gotta agree with all previous, esp. Lazarus. I had the good fortune to accidentally catch an exibit of his work at a museum here in LA. If any of you ever get the chance, it'll be worth your time.