Nailers (probably done to death, but I'm a newbie)

Thanks. Now I'll have to look up a primer on compressors. It'd be nice if it would be enough for a small airbrush.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

I just threw a Porter Cable oil-free compressor in the dumpster. I had it for for 5 years and it was used VERY lightly. The motor went out and the replacement cost was $120 for a compressor that cost $150.

My next portable is go> Thanks. Now I'll have to look up a primer on compressors. It'd be nice

Reply to
Pat Barber

I've had one that's like the Porter Cable in the link for over 40 years and have painted a couple of houses, cars, run nailers and it is still going strong. It gets lots of use!! Once I let it run out of oil and it siezed up but with the addition of oil and a bit of force, it runs and this happened about 25 years ago.

The Makita looks like a direct drive and IMHO, this type of compressor will wear out prematurely as it runs at the motor speed and uses a smaller piston. (Mine came from Sears back when they made quality stuff.)

Hope this helps.

Reply to
greatviewcsc

I was looking at several the other day to replace my 6gal PC pancake (getting too small and *way* too noisy). I'm looking for something I can easily power off a 120V 20A circuit and be somewhat quiet (thus an induction motor). I was trying to find the motor type on a Dewalt D55168 that looked sorta interesting. They want $518 for a pump on a compressor that goes for $370 at the local Lowes. It still looks interesting, though I still can't find the motor type.

small for my uses.

I also sorta liked a PC upright, though it wasn't built as well as the Dewalt and a bit more expensive ($400). It does have an induction motor.

but it will have lubrication.

Reply to
krw