Nailers (probably done to death, but I'm a newbie)

Page 1 of 2
So I'm considering a simple brad nailer type gun. Of all the options out there, what's not worth the trouble, and what's not worth the expense? (note: I'm an advanced novice for whatever that's worth) Gas powered (i.e Pasload), plug in electric, battery electric, pneumatic. So many options.
Ed
Ed Edelenbos wrote:

What's the target use?

Small work, basically holding joints while glue sets.
Ed Edelenbos wrote:

All right your name is really Norm isn't it!!!!

LOL! It works for him. There are times I'd like something quick and easy to either; a) leave the clamps hung up where they are, or b) be able to tack it so it'll stay aligned 'til I can get the clamps on. I don't have a compressor so I'll be starting from scratch if I go that way.
Ed

There are several combo kits available with nailer and compressor. I haven't tried any of them personally, but as you're starting from scratch it might be a good way to go.
The included compressor will probably be a low CFM model, good for nailer and blow gun use but not for much else. Most air tools I've seen start at 4 SCFM @ 90 psi and go up from there.
Puckdropper

Thanks. Now I'll have to look up a primer on compressors. It'd be nice if it would be enough for a small airbrush.
Ed
I just threw a Porter Cable oil-free compressor in the dumpster. I had it for for 5 years and it was used VERY lightly. The motor went out and the replacement cost was $120 for a compressor that cost $150.
My next portable is going to be a oil type such as http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID 517 or even a (Amazon.com product link shortened)24528558&sr=8-1
but it will have lubrication.
Ed Edelenbos wrote:

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 18:50:30 GMT, Pat Barber
I've had one that's like the Porter Cable in the link for over 40 years and have painted a couple of houses, cars, run nailers and it is still going strong. It gets lots of use!! Once I let it run out of oil and it siezed up but with the addition of oil and a bit of force, it runs and this happened about 25 years ago.
The Makita looks like a direct drive and IMHO, this type of compressor will wear out prematurely as it runs at the motor speed and uses a smaller piston. (Mine came from Sears back when they made quality stuff.)
Hope this helps.

In article <Wp4Lk.82688$Mh5.21795@bgtnsc04-

I was looking at several the other day to replace my 6gal PC pancake (getting too small and *way* too noisy). I'm looking for something I can easily power off a 120V 20A circuit and be somewhat quiet (thus an induction motor). I was trying to find the motor type on a Dewalt D55168 that looked sorta interesting. They want $518 for a pump on a compressor that goes for $370 at the local Lowes. It still looks interesting, though I still can't find the motor type.

Interesting. Something to consider.

(Amazon.com product link shortened)24528558&sr=8-1 Too small for my uses.
I also sorta liked a PC upright, though it wasn't built as well as the Dewalt and a bit more expensive ($400). It does have an induction motor. http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx ? ProductID525

--
Keith

Pneumatic. Avoid battery versions like the plague. Senco is my choice and what you see in a lot of pro cabinet shops. Porter Cable is prolific but loud and lousy once you use something nicer like the Senco.
Let the flames begin...

Ed Edelenbos wrote:

If you've got a compressor go pneumatic. The ones I've got from Harbor Freight work fine and they're cheap. How long they'll continue to do so I have no idea.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

The advantage to the HF units is that they are easily replaced if they do fail and don't cost an arm and leg. Besides they really are good units. Mine is a name brand reman.
Dave N
Ed Edelenbos wrote:

For occasional use take a look at Harbor Freight's:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?ItemnumberF309
It ain't pretty but the price is right.
I bought their 1/4" crown stapler about three years ago and it hasn't given me one bit of problems. I've used their framing nailer without any problems as well.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I started off with a Porter Cable FN250B. Figured it gave me the greatest length of nails for what I figured I'd be nailing. But, it all depends on what you're going to use it for.

Will a 23 gauge do? If so, Craftsman sells one, which is really a Nikle, and it is great for small jobs. You can hardly see the nail's head so I leave them in after the glue dries. The 18 gauge units are all over the place and an off-shore cheapo will do just fine. Keep it lubed and they will last and last. I find that I am either reaching for my 16 gauge Paslode to really HOLD something or my little 23 gauge to sortakinda inconspicuously hold something. 23 gauge nailers rule!
Robatoy wrote:

But you have to give it a good whack with a milled head 28 oz. framing hammer to make sure the brads are set.
    pants on fire,     j4

The "BRADS??"....LMAO
You need a brad nailer, finish nailer and a staple gun in my opinion.
If you are not in a rush, the Christmas season is approaching and all the air gun folks will be running "combo" specials where you can get a compressor and a nailer or two for a decent price.
I have even seen them offer three nail guns together and no compressor.
Several folks on the list either swear at or swear by the infamous Harbor Freight line of nail guns. Put your money down and take your chances.
I started with Porter Cable about 10 years ago and I still have all the same guns.
http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/CategoryOverview.aspx?catPathB72.4601.4603
There are SEVERAL companies that offer the very same products, so pick a favorite. I think most of them are made in the same plant in China.
Pay particular attention to "who's" fastners the gun will use. Many of the guns do not do well with "other folks" fastners.
I would buy a framing nailer ONLY if you really need one, not if you just think you might use it on occasion. It's rarely used in my place.
Ed Edelenbos wrote:

Framing nailers only work right if you chase the nail home with a hammer. The pneumatic ones just don't 'suck' a joint tight enough for my liking.