Nailers (probably done to death, but I'm a newbie)

What's the target use?

--

Reply to
dpb

So I'm considering a simple brad nailer type gun. Of all the options out there, what's not worth the trouble, and what's not worth the expense? (note: I'm an advanced novice for whatever that's worth) Gas powered (i.e Pasload), plug in electric, battery electric, pneumatic. So many options.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

Pneumatic. Avoid battery versions like the plague. Senco is my choice and what you see in a lot of pro cabinet shops. Porter Cable is prolific but loud and lousy once you use something nicer like the Senco.

Let the flames beg> So I'm considering a simple brad nailer type gun. =A0Of all the options o= ut

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

If you've got a compressor go pneumatic. The ones I've got from Harbor Freight work fine and they're cheap. How long they'll continue to do so I have no idea.

Reply to
J. Clarke

For occasional use take a look at Harbor Freight's:

ain't pretty but the price is right.

I bought their 1/4" crown stapler about three years ago and it hasn't given me one bit of problems. I've used their framing nailer without any problems as well.

Reply to
Nova

Small work, basically holding joints while glue sets.

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

I started off with a Porter Cable FN250B. Figured it gave me the greatest length of nails for what I figured I'd be nailing. But, it all depends on what you're going to use it for.

Reply to
Upscale

The advantage to the HF units is that they are easily replaced if they do fail and don't cost an arm and leg. Besides they really are good units. Mine is a name brand reman.

Dave N

Reply to
David G. Nagel

All right your name is really Norm isn't it!!!!

Reply to
David G. Nagel

Will a 23 gauge do? If so, Craftsman sells one, which is really a Nikle, and it is great for small jobs. You can hardly see the nail's head so I leave them in after the glue dries. The 18 gauge units are all over the place and an off-shore cheapo will do just fine. Keep it lubed and they will last and last. I find that I am either reaching for my 16 gauge Paslode to really HOLD something or my little 23 gauge to sortakinda inconspicuously hold something. 23 gauge nailers rule!

Reply to
Robatoy

You need a brad nailer, finish nailer and a staple gun in my opinion.

If you are not in a rush, the Christmas season is approaching and all the air gun folks will be running "combo" specials where you can get a compressor and a nailer or two for a decent price.

I have even seen them offer three nail guns together and no compressor.

Several folks on the list either swear at or swear by the infamous Harbor Freight line of nail guns. Put your money down and take your chances.

I started with Porter Cable about 10 years ago and I still have all the same guns.

are SEVERAL companies that offer the very same products, so pick a favorite. I think most of them are made in the same plant in China.

Pay particular attention to "who's" fastners the gun will use. Many of the guns do not do well with "other folks" fastners.

I would buy a framing nailer ONLY if you really need one, not if you just think you might use it on occasion. It's rarely used in my place.

Ed Edelenbos wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Framing nailers only work right if you chase the nail home with a hammer. The pneumatic ones just don't 'suck' a joint tight enough for my liking.

Reply to
Robatoy

I use a pneumatic Bostitch brad nailer/stapler. Works fine.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

But you have to give it a good whack with a milled head 28 oz. framing hammer to make sure the brads are set.

pants on fire, j4

Reply to
jo4hn

If I were you, I'd go to a local multi line store, get a three or four year old catalog and ask to see the service parts available for the equivalent older model you would be looking for today. If they are "discontinued" you might want to move on from that manufacturer.

The practice seems to be when the Taiwanese broker moves from one mainland supplier to another usually when a model changes slightly, to get a few pennies savings, they ask the old guy for a "calculated lifetime supply of service parts". He'll sell you any stock he has on hand, but with regard to the rest, you'll get the Mandarin version of "up yours"

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

One low cost option used by many people in my area is the Grizzly nail guns. I remember when they were about half the price they are now.

Lee Michaels

The "BRADS??"....LMAO

Reply to
Robatoy

The old 22 oz Plumb hammer huh ???

The small compressors don't the have the balls to do that. You need serious air when doing framing.

Those twin hotdog compressors turned Waaaaay up will indeed drive a 3.5" nail all the way home.

Robatoy wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

LOL! It works for him. There are times I'd like something quick and easy to either; a) leave the clamps hung up where they are, or b) be able to tack it so it'll stay aligned 'til I can get the clamps on. I don't have a compressor so I'll be starting from scratch if I go that way.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

"Ed Edelenbos" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

There are several combo kits available with nailer and compressor. I haven't tried any of them personally, but as you're starting from scratch it might be a good way to go.

The included compressor will probably be a low CFM model, good for nailer and blow gun use but not for much else. Most air tools I've seen start at

4 SCFM @ 90 psi and go up from there.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper