Nailer Backfire

I probably watch too much TV, but there was a CNN report this weekend about a guy having a framing nailer backfire, and a nail end up in his mouth (unbeknownst to him, but that's another story).
I can't find much on this on the Internet, but am wondering how common it is. Doesn't sound like a lot of fun if it happens. I guess when using my Senco finish nailer, I'll make sure I am not directly behind it.
Buck Turgidson wrote:

I'm sure it was not a "backfire" in the sense you're implying you're thinking...
There was another thread where I posted my conjectures based on what I saw/heard.
As for frequency, it happens (by "it" I mean folks getting shot, not a gun ejecting a fastener directly rearward, that's not possible by any mechanism I'm aware of). In fact, the hospital noted this was the second such case they had had although it wasn't stated as to how long ago.
A lot of incidents are richocets or the "I was reaching around behind to get to XXXX and it slipped/came through the side/other silly thing" type...
I have had the trip safety mechanism fail on the rare occasion.

Thanks. I hadn't seen that thread yet.
Buck Turgidson wrote:

That was in "Yet more nailgun follies..." or something similar...as noted, I made some conjectures based on what I saw/heard, but (as usual on the news) there was virtually no factual information presented beyond the fact the guy ended up w/ a nail in his head, just an entertainment/ghoul-type attention grabbing headline "story"...
I saw what was supposed to the "nail in the head xray". Maybe it is possible to shoot your self with a nail gun if everything that could go wrong, went wrong all at the same time. I'll buy that, but nobody can tell me this guy shot himself in the mouth, didnt know it, and had to go to a dentist to find it. If there is any truth in this story, it might be a botched suicide attempt. I do remember an "A-Team" episode where Mr. T put down a revolution in a small South American country armed only with a nail gun. About twenty years ago at a strip mall in Mobile, Alabama, a construction worker was remodeling a store next door to a Burger King. He was using a framing nailer to put up wall board. He missed the stud and the nail went through the wall and broke a mirror in the Burger King. A Burger King employee was checking out the broken mirror when the second nail hit her in the forehead. She died that day. Roger Poplin dba snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

That is the wrong message to send to kids. They should have done the episode the neander way and put down the revolution with a hammer and a pouch full of 16s.
Frank
Frank Ketchum wrote:

Cut nails. Toss'em up in the air and pound away, like playing badminton. That could work.
RKP51X wrote:

..his disbelief...
Whatever...truth is usually stranger than fiction in such incidents.
I'll still wager it was a richocet that got him, not a direct shot...

about
I've done ALOT of nailing with an air framing nailer. IMO there has to be something that's being left out of this story. Suicide attempt, drugs, drunk, bet, f****** around. Who knows.
Bryan
DamnYankee wrote:

More likely simple carelessness or an "aw-shit" moment...the stories behind most otj accidents are one of just doing <something> stupid that leads to the event and many come out as stranger than something you could dream up...
On 19 Jan 2005 02:22:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RKP51X) wrote:

There was a cop / private investigator TV show some years ago that did something similar. The bad guy had a wood shop, full of power tools, among them a air nailer. The good guy back tracked the bad guy to the shop, and the usual scuffle broke out. It ended when the good guy got his hands on the air nailer.
They used that idea in one of the Lethal Weapon movies as well. Glover is rebuilding/renovating, the bad guys sneek in at night and Glover "nails the bastard" out in the construction area
John
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:20:12 -0600, Jim Laumann

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:20:12 -0600, Jim Laumann

And of course, Danny Glover did that in Lethal Weapon 2.
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:04:02 -0500, "Buck Turgidson"

I saw a story about this guy too. The interview also had one of his surgeons there. The surgeon said that in his 10 years at that hospital he had seen similar incidents (a nail in the head) 4 times. I don't remember what city they were in. The wounded guy had a new scar all they way across his upper forehead and I wondered if they just opened him up and drove the nail back out with a nail set...???
Mike O.
Mike wrote:

I didn't see the whole segment on the local news so never saw but I was thinking I don't want to be working wherever that must be... :)