Nail guns

I'm in the market for a nail gun but am uneducated to the nail gun world. Therefore, will someone educate me on what to look for in an all around general purpose nail gun?

I do trimming (baseboards, door trim, etc) as well as minor constructive type building (door frames, cabinets, etc) , if that helps. Not as employment but for my own home and woodworking hobbies.

Thank you

Reply to
SBH

Well there are about 4 categories of guns as far as size goes. It sounds like you are looking for a finish nail gun. Something that is nice to have is a gun that does not require daily oiling. I have had a Senco finish nailer for almost 18 years and am still very happy with it. The Senco is uses no oil and is a bit pricey but will last you a very long time.

Reply to
Leon

For the trimming you are best off with an oilless finish nailer or stapler. This keeps teh trim from getting oil stains. I have a Bostitch angled framing gun that has put together a few houses along with a great deal of small projects and only one rebuild (when I loaned it out). I have owned it since 1989

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

imho:

I went to HomeDepot one day, and found a brad gun, finish nailer and compressor on sale. It came with a rebate for a stapler too, which is still in the shrink wrap. It's a porter cable, I dont' use it much, but when I want it to work, it works like a champ.

Only thing I have done, is figure if I want a framing gun, but I figured I don't do enough work to justify buying it, when I can spend money on so much other stuff.

So my only suggestion, figure out if you really need it, or just want to buy another toy. I can relate. :D

tom @

Tom The Great

I'd probably go for an angle finish nailer. Something that shoots 15ga and up to 2 1/2" in length would probably do everything you need. All of our trim guns are Senco but for home use you might be able to go with something less expensive. I've played with both the Porter Cable and Hitachi guns but haven't used either long enough to know about durability. They both seemed to work well for the short time I had to test them.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Well, as I've noted here recently in other posts, I'm an architect -- and, the 'field reports' I get are that Hitachi is the one they want (this for a 'framing' (big and headed) nailer). I'm fixing to get in the market myself. Could be different for finishing nailers, but I wouldn't think so.

As another option (and one that I've considered) is a factory rebuilt one. They appear to be about half the new cost. Depending on how serious they take rebuilding (others may be able to offer experience here), one could get the 'high end' quality - and, with a homeowner's workload, this would be plenty good for the life of that homeowner.

-- john.

Reply to
jcatora

I have a Bostitch N62FN, and love it. Nice and light with lots of power.

for URL wrap.

Reply to
J.A. Michel

I use both the Porter Cable 16ga. finish nailer and the 18ga. brad nailer for trim work. The 18ga. is just right for nailing casing into door frames. I then use the 16ga. to nail the other side of the casing through the sheetrock into the framing. Works great.

Reply to
krw

I did about the same thing. I believe there may be threee different Porter Cable gun/compressor kits at Home Depot, each coming with the same compressor but differing in the number of guns included. The one I got was about $300 and came with an 18g brad nailer, 16g finish nailer, a stapler, a length of air hose, nails for each of the guns, a carrying case for all the guns, a small tube of oil and the pancake style compressor.

I really like this kit and all of the guns have worked great. I've mostly used the brad and finish nailers, but have also found an occasional use for the stapler.

I decided I wanted a framing nailer as well, but knew I wouldn't use one often enough to justify the cost. So I wound up getting one from Harbor Freight for about $70 along with a couple different sizes of nails. While only $70, it's worked flawlessly each of the times I've needed it.

Reply to
Michael Faurot

I have an occasional need for a framing nailer but not often enough to justify the cost. What I did was get a palm nailer. Uses common nails of about any length. A bit slower than a nail gun but much more versatile. Also, it had allowed me to get into spots that would have been impossible with gun or hammer.

Reply to
CW

Reply to
DZIN

Reply to
DZIN

Here's the sequence of acquisition:

  1. 15-guage finish nailer (always comes with angled magazine) OR
16-guage finish nailer with angled magazine. Either one will require angled nails rather than straight. (crown molding, door trim, door frames)

  1. 2" brad nailer (quarter-round, baseboards, cabinets)

  2. Narrow-crown stapler (cabinet backs, door frames, door trim)

Look online for factory-refurbished units.

Set up your air hose with a T-c>I'm in the market for a nail gun but am uneducated to the nail gun world.

Reply to
Tom Kendrick

Suggest the 15 ga. as way more useful for interior trim than a 16 ga.

There are many "value kits" that combine 15 ga, 18 ga, and a finish stapler, that really are a value.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Thank you Tom, that was informative and after I posted another question for the group. But better late than never.

Reply to
SBH

Sounds like the same one I got.

Interesting, will get hand tools from harbor freight, but no experience with power tools. Sounds cheaper than renting.

Good luck,

tom @

Tom The Great

I've been meaning to get one of those too. :) They seem to be relatively inexpensive as well. I can see having one of those around also for just the reasons you mention.

Reply to
Michael Faurot

Based on posts I'd seen here in the wreck from a few folks who have purchashed pneumatic nailers from Harbor Freight and had good results, I figured I'd give it a try. Given the price, and the occasional use (hobbyist) it gets--it seems to work great. If I needed a framing nailer as part of my job, I'd be looking at something like Senco, Hitachi, etc.

Reply to
Michael Faurot

Do your research then check out your local pawn shop. They sometime have good deals on used equipment that has not been abused. I picked u a Senco framing gun ( older model SN8) and have been happy with it. have seen many good "lightly used" tools, air compressors, air tool ,etc. for sometimes half of cost

-- Trusshauler

Reply to
Trusshauler