Nail guns

Page 1 of 3
I'm in the market for a nail gun but am uneducated to the nail gun world. Therefore, will someone educate me on what to look for in an all around general purpose nail gun?
I do trimming (baseboards, door trim, etc) as well as minor constructive type building (door frames, cabinets, etc) , if that helps. Not as employment but for my own home and woodworking hobbies.
Thank you

Well there are about 4 categories of guns as far as size goes. It sounds like you are looking for a finish nail gun. Something that is nice to have is a gun that does not require daily oiling. I have had a Senco finish nailer for almost 18 years and am still very happy with it. The Senco is uses no oil and is a bit pricey but will last you a very long time.

For the trimming you are best off with an oilless finish nailer or stapler. This keeps teh trim from getting oil stains. I have a Bostitch angled framing gun that has put together a few houses along with a great deal of small projects and only one rebuild (when I loaned it out). I have owned it since 1989
Mike D.

imho:
I went to HomeDepot one day, and found a brad gun, finish nailer and compressor on sale. It came with a rebate for a stapler too, which is still in the shrink wrap. It's a porter cable, I dont' use it much, but when I want it to work, it works like a champ.
Only thing I have done, is figure if I want a framing gun, but I figured I don't do enough work to justify buying it, when I can spend money on so much other stuff.
So my only suggestion, figure out if you really need it, or just want to buy another toy. I can relate. :D
tom @ www.MedJobSite.com

I did about the same thing. I believe there may be threee different Porter Cable gun/compressor kits at Home Depot, each coming with the same compressor but differing in the number of guns included. The one I got was about $300 and came with an 18g brad nailer, 16g finish nailer, a stapler, a length of air hose, nails for each of the guns, a carrying case for all the guns, a small tube of oil and the pancake style compressor.
I really like this kit and all of the guns have worked great. I've mostly used the brad and finish nailers, but have also found an occasional use for the stapler.

I decided I wanted a framing nailer as well, but knew I wouldn't use one often enough to justify the cost. So I wound up getting one from Harbor Freight for about $70 along with a couple different sizes of nails. While only $70, it's worked flawlessly each of the times I've needed it.

remove ".invalid".
I have an occasional need for a framing nailer but not often enough to justify the cost. What I did was get a palm nailer. Uses common nails of about any length. A bit slower than a nail gun but much more versatile. Also, it had allowed me to get into spots that would have been impossible with gun or hammer.

I love those things. Tecos in hurricane ties used to frustrate the H*** outa me. No more! Gene
CW wrote:

I've been meaning to get one of those too. :) They seem to be relatively inexpensive as well. I can see having one of those around also for just the reasons you mention.

remove ".invalid".
You'll like it. My Senco cost me about $80.00. more than justified the cost on the first deck. Great for joist hangers (I suck with a hammer).
wrote:

impossible
CW Wrote:

Do your research then check out your local pawn shop. They sometime have good deals on used equipment that has not been abused. I picked u a Senco framing gun ( older model SN8) and have been happy with it. have seen many good "lightly used" tools, air compressors, air tool ,etc. for sometimes half of cost
-- Trusshauler
You must have old fashioned pawn shops in your area. Around here, most everything they sell is priced so close to retail that it is not worth it.

About half the pawn shops or more are not places for good deals where I live. Some never have good tools to look at but I pop in once in a while just to see. I have found good deals on occasion even at the overpriced shops. I have bought a JGA spray gun, Paslode framing gun, Bosch hammer drill and router, cheap Dewalt sawzall, brad nailer, Mac fuel injection pressure tester and other stuff. Everything worked well even though some of the tools were pretty beat up. I do not believe I got everything at half price or less but probably most was. Maybe I am lucky living I a big population which of course means pawn shops, nail shops and drug problems.
CW wrote:

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 17:06:18 GMT, Jim Behning

Remember, druggies usually STEAL tools to pawn, it's not like they own them in the first place.
What do nail shops have to do with drugs and pawn shops? <G>

Perhaps they don't want to get "nailed" by the cops.

Same here in CT.
Most pawn shops have discovered eBay, so walk-ins now compete against millions of buyers.
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 11:23:29 -0600, "Michael Faurot"

Sounds like the same one I got.

Interesting, will get hand tools from harbor freight, but no experience with power tools. Sounds cheaper than renting.
Good luck,
tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

Based on posts I'd seen here in the wreck from a few folks who have purchashed pneumatic nailers from Harbor Freight and had good results, I figured I'd give it a try. Given the price, and the occasional use (hobbyist) it gets--it seems to work great. If I needed a framing nailer as part of my job, I'd be looking at something like Senco, Hitachi, etc.

remove ".invalid".
I'm curious. How's the noise level on the compressor included in these Porter-Cable gun / compressor packages? I'm about to replace my 5hp compressor ( Coleman brand - direct drive ) because of the noise level. Even with noise protection it is way tool loud. Is the compressor output adequate for spraying? I haven't seen the specs.
Michael Faurot wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@boisetools.com says...

They're loud. I have mine in the corner of my basement and plumbed around the basement and into the garage. A 50' hose gets me to pretty much anywhere in the house and most of the outside. I leave the noise behind.

It's only a couple of GPM, so likely not.
--
Keith

I have one of those compressor/gun kits, too. It works well, functionally. But I wear ear muffs when I use it. And my grandson hollers when the compressor cycles.

Not nearly enough, unless what you're using is a Critter sprayer.
It's a good tool, but it has limitations. They all do.
Patriarch