Nail Gun Thoughts

Oil-lubricated 2 hp compressor (recovers tank pressure noticeably more quickly than a 1 hp or 1.5 hp unit)

Do not even think about electrically powered nailers.

There is very little substitution opportunity between nailers and staplers. Probably 16 ga. and 15 ga. finish nailers are the only exception.

If it's a one-time project (like replacing a roof), consider renting the tool.

Reply to
Tom Kendrick

I'd go get an air nailer or two. If your current compressor has a tough time keeping up (unlikely), keep your eyes open for a used one. I got a 15 gallon oil-lube for $60. It's 15 years old, and runs like new.

For birdhouses and such, I'd get an 18 ga. brad nailer. For trim, a 15 ga. angled finish nailer. For the side of the house, it depends on what you're doing, but a framing nailer may be necessary. For trim on the side of your house, the 15 ga. finish nailer is fine.

In about a year, as projects came up, I bought my brad nailer for $14 from Harbor Freight. I bought my Porter Cable finish nailer refurbished from Tyler Tool. I bought my Bostitch framing nailer well-used from a pawn shop. All work well, though the brad nailer doesn't shoot straight.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Reed

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

My fence picket nailer is the Hitachi NV65AH coil siding nailer. A box of 9000 nails (30 coils of 300) is about $70. Lasts a long time. Individual coils are available at the nail supply store.

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

IIRC the Paslode brand nails that I am talking about come 7500 to the box. Good for about 600' of fence using 6" pickets and 3 rails between posts.

Reply to
Leon

Ah, good thought. I'll give that a try. I mainly like the nail gun because the tendonitis in my elbow makes driving nails with a hammer rather painful. The thing is that for general "around-the-place" type work you need about 10 different sizes/types of nails on hand. Right now all I have are 12d (3") and 8d? (2") both are shiny and I really need galvanized for stuff. And ring-shanks are great for siding on the shed I'm fixing, and for "real" framing I want some 3 1/2". etc. etc. etc.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Haven't seen them here, but Lowes just opened a couple weeks ago, so things may change. I'll check again.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass