Nail Gun Question

I am looking to get a compressor and nail gun setup for home/hobby use. Porter-Cable has several setups one that includes a 18-Gauge Brad Nailer and one that includes both the Brad Nailer and a 16-Gauge 2.5" Finish Nailer. I expect to use this for home trim work, some simple woodworking projects like building bookshelf headboard, shelf units, etc. Is the Finish Nailer a better choice?

Thanks for your input.

Jim

Reply to
JM

Yes. Brads are fine for tacking thing while the glue sets up or very light work. For trim, you want nails. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Get them off eBay and save some $$$$

JM wrote:

Reply to
Mapdude

Mapdude responds:

Maybe. People will sometimes pay the damndest amounts for stuff when they get caught up in an auction.

Charlie Self

"Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

Jim,

Keep in mind that when joining two pieces of hardwood such as oak, that some of the small brad nails and guns have trouble sinking, going in straight and not bending due to their light gauge. Also you are limited usually to 1 1/4 inch lengths which for some applications is not enough penetration. Finish nails range in length from 1 to 2 1/4 inches. While they make a bigger hole and are heavier to handle, I think they are much more versatile for woodworking. I loved my brad nailer when it was my only fastening tool and I still use it for light duty craft work etc. But I reach for the Porter Cable finish nailer for must jobs these days.

As a side note, after you decide what you want to buy, particularly if you go with the brad nailer, pick up one of those portable air tanks. One of my old "Tips and Techniques" highlighted in my contribution to the book " Woodworkers Problem Solver" is to fill that portable tank with your compressor ( or at the gas station if you don't have a compressor) and use it to shoot up to 100 brads before refilling. It is light, portable, requires no power and can be easily taken anywhere. Since I have a big 5 hp

220 volt compressor, I keep mine filled for quick and easy jobs without having to fire up the big machine.

Good Luck,

Reply to
Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Wood

Make sure your finish nailer is a "angle" nailer. A lot easier to get into tight spots, inside corners etc. I have the PC 15Ga nailer, a Senco FP25XP 18Ga nailer, a PC 18Ga 1/4" stapler and a PC BN125A 18Ga Brad nailer that I got as part of a kit with compressor. I wouldn't suggest getting the nailer/compressor combo that includes the BN125. The BN125 only shoots 1-1/4" brads which severely limits its use. That's why I got the Senco FP25XP. Another thing to consider is the nailers ability to fire when it runs out of nails/brads. It's a real PITA when you think your driving a bunch of brads only to find out the last 20 were dry fires. Some models of the Senco and others won't allow dry firing.

Reply to
Erik

Mike T. wrote:proxy.airnews.net>...

You've gotta be kidding me! I know codes are strict, but as far as not allowing clipped head nails, that sounds a little outrageous.

Justin

Makes sense if you think about it. Clipped head nails don't have as much holding power.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Hey Erik - just to tag onto your post since you recommended the following to me a month or so back:

I bought a Senco 15g angle nailer (combo pack: FinishPro35 w/free SLS15 stapler, $199) and a Senco 18g brad nailer (FinishPro 25XP, $150) to put in a poplar frame and panel wall. I experienced only one bent finish nail when I must have hit a framing nail dead on - folded the 15g 2" into a "Z".

These are my first (and likely, only & last) nailers and they worked wonderfully. Advantages occurring to me as I worked were no donkey tracks, cracked plaster or nail setting (OK, had to set 3 or 4 a little deeper, but overall not an issue).

I'd also second Erik's recommendation to me to go with a 15 gage over a

16 gage for the heavier trim work. The 7/8"x4.5" wide poplar (or old plaster wall) was slightly bowed for some door trim, as was the 7" tall baseboard, and the 15 gage held it firmly with no trouble.
Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Hi Owen, Glad my limited wisdom worked well for you. BTW, I just dropped my order for the PC-557 Type 2 shim in the mail.

Reply to
Erik
18-guage brads have served me just fine for trim such as chair rail and crown mouldings.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian