Nail-Gun Injuries Among Consumers Rise With Sales, U.S. Says

Nail-Gun Injuries Among Consumers Rise With Sales, U.S. Says
By Elizabeth Lopatto
April 12 (Bloomberg) -- Nail-gun injuries among U.S. consumers tripled from 1991 to 2005 as the products became more readily available, a report says.
In 2005, 13,400 people sought emergency care for harm related to the tools, researcher's said in today's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. The most-common injuries were puncture wounds, with or without the injection of foreign objects such nails into the body, which together accounted for 87 percent of the reported incidents.
The nail-gun injuries have extended to homes and garages what formerly was a hazard seen mostly in workplaces, such as construction sites, according to the report, published by the Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
More at: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=ITW:US&sid=aL.mrOzJLDmQ
[...]
What a thoroughly useless and typical report from the alarmist press.
Consumer injuries tripled, but no quantification on how much sales had increased. The rate of injury is what is key here. If sales more than tripled, then the injury rate decreased - ergo no problem. But that doesn't provide a juicy story and advance the career of the reporter.
Another facet ignored is the higher injury rate for new users than for experienced users. I'd venture to guess that the percentage of new users is much higher for consumers than for professionals.
Critical thinking is a sorely missing skill in today's news organizations.
On the plus side at least there was no call for increased or new government regulation of this serious threat to society.
Art

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=ITW:US&sid=aL.mrOzJLDmQ
"WoodButcher" wrote in message

experienced
higher for

government
Agreed, but still trying to figure out what's newsworthy about injuries rising with sales in the first place.
What _would_ be newsworthy is if they didn't.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Look out... here come the insurance lobbies...... their lawyer getting out their miniscule type-writers for that small print on the medical coverage. The scent in the air is a blend of sulphur and lawyers... All we need is a minority to catch a nail in wood-class...
Your obviously not bucking for a radio talk show.
Mike m

Swingman, You are right, there's not much newsworthy about dog bites man, but let a man bite a dog. Joe G
GROVER wrote:

Which is surprisingly common these days. I remembered a news item about such an incident and googled "man bites police dog" and found more articles than I cared to link, not all describing the same incident--the first two mention a guy in Kansas City and one in Canada.
Survival 101--never bite anything that has more teeth than you do unless it's dead.
--John
The reporters E-Mail is snipped-for-privacy@bloomburg.net according to the story. Maybe a letter to her would clear up some of the questions.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=ITW:US&sid=aL.mrOzJLDmQ
WoodButcher wrote:

Snip
I hope none of our Govt., drones read this in Oz, or at best we will end up having to have a licence and at worst nail guns will be banned. ;)
regards John
The most-common injuries were puncture wounds, with or without : the injection of foreign objects such nails into the body, which : together accounted for 87 percent of the reported incidents.
What I want to know is: What were the other 13%, if not puncture wounds? Drops-on-foot? Sore fingers? ????
    -- Andy Barss

Stuff like: http://www.katu.com/features/seeit/3871302.html

"Authorities cleared the co-worker of any wrongdoing". Just to be clear. Tom
:> :> The most-common injuries were puncture wounds, with or without :> : the injection of foreign objects such nails into the body, which :> : together accounted for 87 percent of the reported incidents. :> :> What I want to know is: What were the other 13%, if not puncture wounds? :> Drops-on-foot? Sore fingers? ???? :> :> -- Andy Barss
: Stuff like: : http://www.katu.com/features/seeit/3871302.html
Those are puncture wounds.
    -- Andy Barss
Andrew Barss wrote:

Six of 'em. From three sides. By accident.
Right.
Bill
--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 00:59:08 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss

You see, when Jimbob comes into the ER with a tubafor stapled to his privates, they just put "Other" on the forms.
-Leuf

ROTFLMAO!!
Lobby Dosser wrote:

They should put that as an option on the forms. "Nature of injury: Too ridiculous to describe." That would also cover the times that they have to pull Sanitation Worker Barbie out of somebody's bunghole and the like.
--John