Nail Cutter for siding....other than a chisel

Anyone know of a tool that would be good to slide up under existing siding to cut the nails, other than a chisel? I'm thinking of something like a carbide heaed chisel with a V in the tip like a dandelion weeder. A beater chisel did an ok job today, but it makes me cringe a bit, even though it is a beater. Plus, they get chewed up in a hurry.
I would have used a hacksaw blade but I didn't have one with me, and it just seems a quick rap with a hammer on a sharp carbide edge would be much faster than sawing each nail. Maybe I'm wrong... JP

nail. Use a Sawzall and a fine tooth blade. Milwaukee's "The Torch" blade works great.
Dave
TeamCasa wrote:

Agreed, a reciprocating saw and a fine tooth blade is faster than you think. I would also add that it would probably not cause as much damage as a chisel or a straight end of a cat's paw pry bar.
Tom in KY, That is, IF you have a recipro-saw available. If not, maybe a Stanley mini Wonderbar?

Watch the line wrap:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)37126235/104-2797820-7385543
No personal experience but I saw it on this old house ;) You slide it up next to the nail, hook it and then whack the handle with a hammer.
-Leuf
Yes, there was an old tool that was flat with a hook and notch to cut siding & shingle nails. The bottom end had a right angle bend that could be hammered to hook and cut the nail. Haven't seen one for a long time but your local blacksmith [Welding Shop?] could whup one out in a fer minutes. Bugs
for finish nails a good stiff putty knife driven in will either cut or drive out sideways. it mungs up the edge, so don't use your grandfather's heirloom putty knife, but the technique works.for bigger nails, pry up a bit and use the sawzall like Dave sez.
HEH HEH... I just "saw" this while studying the net for my latest post, a Disston # 240 Nail Cutting Saw on this page: http://www.patented-antiques.com/Backpages/T-F-S/Saws%20hndles%20drills/saws/disston_saws.htm At the very bottom of the page, it's cheap!
--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
Jay Pique wrote:

You're wrong. A standard steel chisel will work better than carbide, because carbide is brittle and chips. You might also want to think about sticking some hacksaw blade handles, and some blades, in your tool box or drawer. Those will work best, take jus a few strokes per nail, and do almost no damage to the side. Similar handles are available for recip saw blades, which are sturdier.
Prybar: not a crowbar, a prybar. Perfect for the job. http://www.new-intergem.com/prospecting/prybar.htm
HTH, Pop
: Anyone know of a tool that would be good to slide up under existing : siding to cut the nails, other than a chisel? I'm thinking of : something like a carbide heaed chisel with a V in the tip like a : dandelion weeder. A beater chisel did an ok job today, but it makes me : cringe a bit, even though it is a beater. Plus, they get chewed up in : a hurry. : : I would have used a hacksaw blade but I didn't have one with me, and it : just seems a quick rap with a hammer on a sharp carbide edge would be : much faster than sawing each nail. Maybe I'm wrong... : JP :

I've used a reciprocating saw with a Porter-Cable #12466 Blade -- 18 TPI "Nail Embeded Wood". It's long enougn and it will flex enough tor you to cut the nails behind the siding. I'm sure other brands have comprable blades.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Thanks all. I will definitely not repeat the unpardonable sin of not having a hacksaw or recip saw with me on a jobsite. I may check out that shingle ripper too. Heck I might clean up my beater chisel for next time as well!
JP **************************************************** This looks good to me too - http://tinyurl.com/8v372 or (Amazon.com product link shortened)37192949/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/102-0410230-5548911?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n"8013