Mystery Dumpster Wood

So I picked up some pallet pickings over the past few weeks, and was planing them down in the garage today.

Got some niiice mahogany 12/4 squares (minor gloatage), a bit more mahogany in 1x2, some oak (mostly red, a little white), a buncha poplar (big surprise there), and...this other board. Just one board, actually.

It started out with a pumpkin-orange color w/ a very faint green undertone, which changed to a reddish-pinkish-whitish color after planing. Lots of wavy grain, and it smells like a freshly cut cucumber or maybe watermelon rind. With the way it looks, I'd say cherry, probably, but the smell threw me. Any guesses?

Jason

Reply to
Jason Quick

watermelon

I'd guess that the pallet was used to ship cucumbers or watermellons and sat out in the sun a bit too long.

Reply to
fredfighter