Mystery blue-grey wood

Greetings:

I recently bought a "box 'o veneer" at Lee Valley. I like to inlay small strips and curves into many of the things I make and this box has a suprising selection of reasonably large sheets up to 17" by 17") of veneer. (It advertises 50 sq feet, but my rough calculation shows that there is more than 150 square feet and some of the pieces are just breathtaking.)

Anyway, there are a few pieces of bluish grey wood with a grain quite similar to maple. The colour is so distinct that I suppose I should know what it is, but I don't. Can you help me out?

Cheers,

Ted

Reply to
Ted Moens

My guess is that it IS maple. Spalted maple is stained by a fungus that gets into the wood before it dries. It is usually blue, green or Gray, and frequently quite attractive. Fred

Reply to
Fred

Be my guess, too...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Hi Fred:

I don't think it is. This colour is uniform throughout. I think that in spalted maple, the fungus tends to travel in the grain giving shots of discolouration. But I'm certainly no expert on it.

Cheers,

Ted

Reply to
Ted Moens

Harewood maybe?

Gary in KC

Reply to
Gary A in KC

can you post a picture to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking?

Reply to
bridgerfafc

Yes, in addition to the general discoloration there usually are also jet-black lines extending along the grain boudaries, often marking the perimeter of the dicolored areas.

Reply to
fredfighter

Posted. Thanks.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Moens

Maple

Reply to
Battleax

OK thanks. Never seen it this colour before, but one lives and learns.

Cheers,

Ted

Reply to
Ted Moens

At first I thought it was a black & white photo. Maybe it's been dyed for some reason.

Reply to
Battleax