Mysterious staircase

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loretto_Chapel

The staircase was built in the Santa Fe church by an unknown carpenter in 1877. Anyone know if it's possible to build a circular staircase without a support ?

Smitty

Reply to
papadoo1

Why sointenly!! Nyuk, nyuk. or hell YES!

Although the bigger the inside diameter the harder it will be.

Reply to
Robatoy

It has support, obviously, just not where someone would typically expect to find it.

RicodJour

You might take a closer look. I have numerous pictures of that staircase.

Max

Reply to
Max

It is possible because that one has been there for more than 130 years. We have been to the Loretto Chapel three times and it amazes me every time I look at it. There are lots of stories about its construction ranging from simply equipped carpenter to a highly skilled cabinet maker. Doesn't matter who made it, it is beautiful. As the article points out, the railing was built several years after the staircase was built because the Loretto Nuns that used it were scared to death to climb to the choir loft (No rail, no center post). When you look at it, and imagine it without the railing, that helix even looks more incredible.

Interesting side story our local museum is coming researching. The head Loretto nun who served at the chapel when it was built is Mother Magdalene, an Irish immigrant. She arrived in Santa Fe in the 1850's and is credited with starting the first catholic school (maybe first school) in New Mexico. Her sister Bridget Hayden, started the first girl's school in Kansas at the Osage Mission in 1847. Their sister, I believe her name is Mother Margaret Hayden, was the Superior General of the Loretto Order. There were other children but they must have been under-achievers.

(shameless plug)

RonB

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Funny the effect three grand-kids under four have on concentration:

"....our museum is coming up with during research on the Hayden sisters."

Reply to
RonB