MyFirstDrawerTable

Check out my progress on my first table with a drawer in ABPW.

I still need to make the freaken drawer. I'm leaning towards a sliding dovetail for the drawer front because I have no dovetail jig. And no I don't wanna cut them by hand.

Anybody have any experience with sliding dovetails for drawers? I am either gonna do a stopped sliding dovetail or a full SD.

Reply to
stoutman

Just a couple of alternate options:

A pinned rabbet joint to attach the drawer front to the sides. Easy, strong, and nice looking from the side. Use a contrasting wood for the pin, or a metal like brass and expoxy the pins in.

A locking joint, like a combination of a rabbit and tongue and groove pictured here, easy to do on a router table:

alternately router bit sets that cut locking drawer fronts.

FWIW ...

Reply to
Swingman

I was leaning toward the stopped sliding dovetail on the router table until I figured out that for one side I would have to do a climb cut. Unless I reposition the fence.

Your suggestion for the pinned rabbet joint sounds attractive, but the only other wood I have laying around the shop is red oak and poplar(yuck). I could make a treck to woodcraft and buy a small stick of something. ebony?

> Or, alternately router bit sets that cut locking drawer fronts.

Reply to
stoutman

ah, c'mon, real men can do climb cuts!!

dave

stoutman wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Where are you located. Perhaps someone would loan you a dt jig for your drawer. If you are close to me I will.

-- Bill Rittner R & B ENTERPRISES Manchester, CT

snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody gets out alive" (Unknown)

Reply to
Bill Rittner

Ya know, Ive found that if you keep your measurements equal with a joint like that it makes the setups a lot simpler. I usually just do 1/4" if working with 3/4 material. Just a thought.

James D Kountz

Thanks, but I'm in Va. If you FedEx it overnight I will pay for the shipping and promise to mail it back to you when I'm done. I promise... : )

Reply to
stoutman