My week

Page 1 of 4
About a week ago, I was sanding with a PC ROS hooked up to my Shop Vac QSP when the vac decided not to turn off and on with the sander. So off to Woodcraft and came home with a Fein Turbo II. Much better, more suction, etc. This weekend, Friday, went to Woodcraft for their open house/sale. Sunday, the sander decided to random orbit about 10 times a minute. Had the sander had any compassion, it would have died Thursday. Today, off to Woodcraft again. Now the proud owner of a Festool ETS 125 EQ ROS. What a difference.
On 10/18/2010 2:46 PM, Jim in Milwaukee wrote:

I've got the RO 125, the RTS 400, and the DTS 400. There is a new one that is being sold in Europe, the RO 90, that is supposedly due in NA soon, that will be next on my list:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?vfdWpd-6tm4

Amazing how much time these sanders save on a project ... and how much cleanup time, to boot.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Damn, I thought it was only a smaller version of the bigger Rotex sanders but a detail sander too.
Leon wrote:

That was a pretty compelling video (picture worth a 1000 words)! I like the way it reaches in the corners.
Bill
wrote in message

If I already did not have a Festool Rotex 125 the rectangle Festool 400 and a Fein Multimaster I'd be waiting with out patience.
On 10/18/2010 6:39 PM, Leon wrote:

Jim

My guess between $375 and $475.

Under 400... has to be.

Under 400... has to be.
If you assume that it should be less expensive as it is smaller than the others but this thing also has a third ossilation mode for detail sanding along with an extra sanding pad.
500... 1000 with the vac.
--

-MIKE-

But you'll simply _have_ to have those extras and options which bring the total up to a mere $3,975.43, won't you? I knew you would. ;)
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

I only buy what I know will pay for itself, and as I am retired, that has raised the bar quite high. I love a good tool as much as the next guy, and I could (most of the time) justify buying Festool grade tools. No tool works harder or smarter than a Festool.
On Tue, 19 Oct 2010 21:21:50 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Same here, but I can easily get by with HF (and American-made) tools for most work. I needed a -good- impactor and have had both Bosch and Makita now. Both were both necessary and worth it. I'm not retired, I's just po workin' folk.

I, too, can appreciate a good tool, but it rankles me to no end that some toolmakers (Fein, Festool, and others) price theirs 2x to 20x above the rest.
Other than greed, I cannot fathom why Fein would price a tool at $400 when a nearly identical one is imported and sold by HF for $30. Granted, a tool utilizing a brand-new, good idea is worth more than an everyday tool, but 12x. How does that saying go? "...and the horse that rode in on them." or something.
On 10/20/2010 8:39 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

> How does that saying go? "...and the horse

My favorite, much more true and to the point:
"You get what your pay for!"
If you run a woodworking business and buy a Festool TS75 for $500. In five years time it will have been instrumental in making you a minimum of $200k. It has cost you thus far $4/month for unparalleled utility and reliability.
In another five, and ten, after that, it was paid for and you're still using a tool that has a lifetime of use left in it.
Try that with your HF tool ...
I have an Omer nailer, and a HF nailer of the same ilk ... vast difference in cost/quality, but one is disposable and the other will be working for my grandkids kids and won't leave me stranded on a job site 200 miles from the shop.
Your choice ... If wwing is a hobby, of course your YMWV.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 10/20/2010 9:31 AM, Swingman wrote:

Correction: That's five inches and one and a half sixteenths, or $10/month.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Crap! you are really leaving me behind with your fancy math, I'da thought 163/32's or maybe 129 and one third mm's.
Plain mm's
;~)

The first Festool sander was bought for a particular need/use for a nasty (black) solid surface top. I made that one job pay for that sander... I didn't make a whole lot of net profit as a result, but I made out just fine with all the other tops afterwards. Also, that sander allowed me to be less apprehensive when I sold a darker coloured countertop, so my market widened somewhat. Aside from reliability and utility, there is capability; jobs you wouldn't otherwise tackle.
On that note, I just started a project. I will write about it over the next few days under a separate thread. It's quite mmmmm interesting. <G> (Can you say OLD-ish building from 1890 which wants to be an Irishpub? The paint crew started on one of the two facades this Monday. )

Think Yugo vs. BMW
Both get you there but which is going to last and deliver the precision?
Additionally the HF tool has a regular price of $60 now and is on sale for $40. http://www.harborfreight.com/multifunction-power-tool-67256.html
And The Fein Multimaster can be had for $209 shipped and equipped with similar blades as the above tool. (Amazon.com product link shortened)87584793&sr=8-3
So instead of the example you show of the Fein being over 13 times more expensive, it really is only 3 1/2 times more expensive with normal pricing.
I see your point, if you don't need a the features of a premium tool, get the cheapo one. But if you don't have time to deal with a tool that may waist your time the better quality is the better bet. Basically you get what you pay for.
On 10/20/10 9:34 AM, Leon wrote:

I'm not trying to defend the HF, as I have one and know what it is.... and would much prefer the Fein if it came down to it... but....
Since when is "normal pricing" relevant to anything. The only relevent price is what you can expect to pay for something. In the case of the HF, that's never higher that $35 bucks, because the thing is always on sale. You can walk in the door and ask for the latest coupon or ask them to match the website price if it's cheaper.
Drum equipment manufactures are notorious for having ridiculously, artificially inflated retail list prices. Cymbals, heads, etc., always have a sale price of 50% off list. I'm not going to pretend the normal price of a pair of sticks is 14 bucks, when I know they always sell for $7.
In the case of Fein, their quality speaks on its own. Being 3-1/2 or 6 times as expensive is irrelevant in the debate, to me, at least.
--

-MIKE-