My web page is out again

I've lost my web page once more :-(

Problem: The last host was the husband of my sweetie's sister.

They are divorcing and she's just moved out on him. He's retailating by removing everything of hers and her friends', including me, from his site.

I have kind of a lot of stuff, a couple megabytes at least.

Where might I go to set this up again? Any suggestions or volunteers?

James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com

brocpuffs

I am using these guys for the last4 or 5 months, and so far, so good.

Doug Winterburn

Thanks Mike.

I goofed, the guy didn't nuke my page, he and a friend were just moving the web server to a different location. It will be back up maybe after this weekend.

roadrunner must have increased the web page quota since I last checked (long time ago). I was also turned off by the way they wanted me to choose a topic out of a very restricted list of allowed topics, none close to woodworking.

But it is an alternative, yes. Thanks for the reminder.

James snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com

brocpuffs

Yer welcome. I'm not sure what "allowed topics" is about, but I'm guessing it's for folks who don't think they can make a website without taking the training wheels off. :) For very little expense on the learning curve, I'm sure you'd be savvy enough to save your entire website to your own hard drive, then grab a free copy of wsftp and upload the entire site to your own space on rr's server. Topics shmopics, do yer own thing. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

Michael Baglio Chapel Hill

Reply to
Michael Baglio

"Wernher von Braun. He aimed for the stars, but sometimes he hit England." -- Mort Sahl.

Yours is a version from Tom Lehrer. Here is a transcription -- compiled by two Germans -- from an obviously long-ago performance:

"Wernher von Braun"

And what is it that put America in the forefront of the nuclear nations? And what is it that will make it possible to spend twenty billion dollars of your money to put some clown on the moon? Well, it was good old American know how, that's what, as provided by good old Americans like Dr. Wernher von Braun!

Gather 'round while I sing you of Wernher von Braun, A man whose allegiance Is ruled by expedience. Call him a Nazi, he won't even frown, "Ha, Nazi, Schmazi," says Wernher von Braun.

Don't say that he's hypocritical, Say rather that he's apolitical. "Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down? That's not my department," says Wernher von Braun.

Some have harsh words for this man of renown, But some think our attitude Should be one of gratitude, Like the widows and cripples in old London town, Who owe their large pensions to Wernher von Braun.

You too may be a big hero, Once you've learned to count backwards to zero. "In German oder English I know how to count down, Und I'm learning Chinese!" says Wernher von Braun.

Reply to
Igor

Actually not von Braun, but a lyric from "Werner von Braun" on the Album "That was the Year that was" by Tom Lehrer (Reprise 6179)

Too bad Lehrer isn't active in the music business anymore (to my knowledge), current national and world situations would be a gold mine for his talent.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Kirchhoff

[snip]
Reply to
jo4hn

For those considering moving, check out

They've got an 'all in one' offering -- *unlimited* dial-up, nationwide; *great* (spam-filtered) newsserver; two (spam-filtered) email addresses; *and* FIFTY MEGS of web-space. For the outrageously high cost of $9.95/mo.

*awfully* difficult to beat that package, or the price.

I'm not, currently, a newsguy customer (have dedicated access, and my own servers now) -- but I have been. They're good folks.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Did somebody install a "WebStop" on the server?

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 22:36:42 -0400, brocpuffs pixelated:

Most hosts are giving away 10MB of hosting with their access/connection accounts at $4-15/mo. Isn't yours? It's nearly impossible to get a free web hosting account any more, but there are literally hundreds at under $5/mo. Google "cheap/free hosting".

------------------------------------------------------- "i" before "e", except after "c", what a weird society. ----

Dynamic Website Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:53:13 GMT, bonomi@c-ns. (Robert Bonomi) pixelated:

Isn't that the mechanism they use to cut weenies off? Jim won't like what you're intimating, Robert san.

------------------------------------------------------- "i" before "e", except after "c", what a weird society. ----

Dynamic Website Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yea, that is one trouble with "family ties"...when they unload.

yea...it is a great loss to satire. Actually as I recall, he went back to being a professor and dropped the musical side almost completely some years ago when Heny Kissinger was given the Nobel Peace Prize. His comment was that this topped ANY level of satire he could come up with... Still the great (and sad) thing about his work is that it is still relevant today, decades after it was recorded... THe basic themes are still happening, just some names have changed a little bit. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt