My Table Saw Accident

Page 2 of 2
Thanks for your honesty! Most, if not all, of us have had the same experience; some got cut and some didn't.
On 15 Nov 2003 12:59:57 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Larry Bud) wrote:

<snip my own message>

Well, I'm healing up nicely. The stitches are out, still bandaged of course. No pain, but some numb areas on my finger. all in all, pretty lucky.
I haven't done any work since the accident, although I went to take a look at what might have happened. I pulled out my trustly aligner Jr, and discovered that the blade was a ful .015" out of alignment from the front to the rear of the blade, pinching the work toward the fence at the rear. The fence was in perfect alignment to the miter slot. So I think the board bound up because of this, causing the kickback which hit into my finger, which was knocked into the blade.
Simple precautions could have prevented this, suffice to say. Not sure why the blade was out of alignment in the first place. I check it once in a while and it's never been out before.
On 28 Nov 2003 22:04:27 -0800, Larry Bud's fingers viciously stabbed at an innocent keyboard to form the now famous if slightly awkward haiku:
<snippage>

I'm not typing too fast because I took a chance once too many times with my bandsaw. I got 11 stitches across the knuckles of my right index & fuck fingers. Yes, I'm a righty. The seamstress said she didn't see any tendon damage but it hurts like a bastard. I'll find out Friday when I visit the hand surgeon. Stupid accident from stupid practice. I read and read and do shortcuts (huhuh no pun there) anyways. My bad, my pain. A piece of wood caught my parting tool a couple of months ago and bashed my thumbnail against the toolrest about 30 times in about a half second. No shortcut, just didn't know any better. I was chainsawing the next day to make sure I didn't develop thrown-off-the-horse-and-didn't-get-back-on-so-now-I'm-scared-to-death-of-the-damn-thing syndrome. Maybe it worked too well and I got cocky. I'm not cocky anymore. Well at least not in the shop. I saved about 30 minutes over time by not using a push stick. Now I'm out of commission for at least a week. I'm going to try to refrain from WW for 2 weeks or until I am obviously healed enough but, well you know...we'll see how long I can refrain.
Thank God it wasn't the table saw. I was really shoving it in. I read somewhere once upon a time that sharp blades are better. I thought about changing it that morning but nooooo.... I'll try following the advice of people more experienced and disciplined than me and try to keep the red stuff on the inside from now on.
Shortcuts cause short cuts. or something...
Mowgli
I'm not typing too fast because I took a chance once too many times with my bandsaw. I got 11 stitches across the knuckles of my right index & fuck fingers. Yes, I'm a righty. The seamstress said she didn't see any tendon damage but it hurts like a bastard. I'll find out Friday when I visit the hand surgeon. Stupid accident from stupid practice. I read and read and do shortcuts (huhuh no pun there) anyways. My bad, my pain.
I'll post a scanned pic to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
[...]
ouch! Hopefully you have no lasting damage, and will use more caution when you get back out there, to prevent worse accidents that will put you out for longer. Just don't take up watching soap operas while on the mend.
dave
Mowgli wrote:

thrown-off-the-horse-and-didn't-get-back-on-so-now-I'm-scared-to-death-of-the-damn-thing
On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 19:39:12 GMT, Bay Area Dave's fingers viciously stabbed at an innocent keyboard to form the now famous if slightly awkward haiku:

Even worse,
I discovered Ebay! And I'm out of work! There's gotta be a 12 step program for Ebayaholics :/
Mowgli
so sell, sell, sell, instead of buy, buy, buy! :)
dave
Mowgli wrote:

Mowgli wrote:

Chapter 12 bankruptcy...