My Table Saw Accident

Page 1 of 2
Well, just got back from the emergency room where I got 9 stitches in my right index finger. I'm a relative newbie to serious woodworking, and I took a decent chunk out of my finger. It apparently got down to the bone and took a small chip out. The angle of the cut was pretty lucky, though. There was no tendon damage. Took part of the nail out, but I was told the part that was cut will grow back.
The worst part of this isn't the (incredibly small amount) of pain, or the few months of healing. But that I feel like an idiot. This could have been easily prevent with a pushstick. Hopefully this is a wake up call to me.
The injury could have been much worse. The blade was only up about 1/4", and was cutting a rabbit in a small board, about 8x10 in. I was happily running the board through when I believe it began to bind up, then it suddenly kicked back. Not sure if the board pushed my finger into the blade, or if I slipped when the board kicked back. It all happened so fast. My hand was a good 6-7" away when I was making the cut. I didn't even realize I was cut until the blood started dripping. I thought the board came back and bashed into my finder, and numbed it. No such luck.
Anyway, thought I'd share my story.

Sorry to hear of this. You say a push stick could have saved you, but why did it bind up to begin with? Splitter in place? Pawls used?
Perhaps you can save another finger for the rest of us if you know the cause. Ed
how do you use a splitter when you are rabbeting, Ed?? I'd like to see that! :)
dave
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Guess I wasn't paying attention again. Ed

Yeah, the root of all accidents (glum look on face). Been there, done that, got the tee shirt.
A "red" tee-shirt?
dave
Lazarus Long wrote:

As someone else mentioned, I was rabbiting. Good question of why it bound up. I'll have to go see if thefence is out of alignment. I looked at the board itself, and there's a dent in it where my finger fits nicely. So it looks like the board kicked back into my finger, and then knocked my finger into the blade.
I'm guessing the board was between the fence and the blade, pulled away from (or was pinched by) the fence, and kicked back. If so, maybe next time you could use Norm's method, clamp a "sacrificial" board to the fence and cut the rabbet along the fence side of your workpiece.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Larry Bud) wrote:

Gentlemen, Your cautionary tales are most welcome.
I remain scarred from an assortment of hand tools, but un-maimed.
Bill

Good to hear you didn't lose a finger. It happens so fast and in my case, I still swear my finger wasn't near the blade when it was butterflied. I was ripping bunches of small strips. I would push it through using my right hand and a push stick, then I would reach behind the blade with my left to retrieve it. After several hundred of these, obviously I must have gotten lazy, although I still say my finger was nowhere near the blade, and I still don't know how it happened. I apparently drug my left forefinger across the blade as I brought back the ripped piece. Man, what a sick sound it makes when your finger is being mangled by the blade. It butterflied my finger from the tip, up near to the first knuckle. Fortunately, it was next to the bone and I was using a Woodworker II. I still think the finger cleared the blade and I still can't figure out how it got cut.
And don't even start posting about using guards, safety guidelines and other BS. I do this for money, so I am allowed operator stupidity in the pursuit of fast production. Of course, I won't mention the two weeks I sat at home watching Oprah, Rosie and Jerry Springer while I was waiting for it to heal. Oh well.
Preston

I think you'd better start slow. The trio you mentioned diminishes your IQ one point per hour watched....

Never said I was real smart.
"Hey Ethel, where is that college diploma I urned?"
Preston

Preston, 14 years ago I cut the end of my left thumb off. For months I thought that I had a kick back situation on the last board that I was cutting, but oddly none of the wood had blood or tooth marks on it. I later found that I had apparently blanked that out of my memory. I actually cut my thumb after I had turned the saw off and was attempting to remove the fence before the blade had completely stopped. Something to think about, especially when you cannot remember. ;~)
No... I think the pain and months of healing is the worst part.
So I installed it on Linux...
Just remember. Thats why God gave you nine spares ! Just don't use them all up too quickly.
So I installed it on Linux...
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Larry Bud) wrote:

Glad you made it with most of your finger. Your whole attitude about safety will change for the better now.
Wes