My son and router raiser

Well today was a great day in the shop. I'm working on my own version of a plunge router raiser for the router table. I was threading rods and bolts and nuts and nothing was working. Things broke, nuts stripped out on me and all in all the plan went belly up. The good part? My son (7) came out to the shop and after diverting my attention away from the failed router raiser, we took some scraps and built a bird house. Yes a simple bird house. Who would have thought that such a simple project could bring me such great joy. As I watched his eyes come alive with amazement at the pieces being cut, the gluing and the nailing I was in a real happy place. I even let him shoot the brads in with a nail gun. Well, actually I help and positioned the gun he just pulled the trigger, but to him it was the coolest thing in the world. I bet the thing never comes apart since there's about 100 1 1/4" brads in it!! Not to mention half a pint of titebond II. My my. Anyway, after assembly came the paint. I found some red spray paint and let me tell you when he got ahold of that can, the fun was on my friends! The bird house is red, as is part of my workbench, his fingers and the bill of the hat I was wearing. What could I say?? So the day that started out in misery ended up being one of the finest in recent memory. Maybe tomorrow we can do a feeder!!

Jim

-- ....

Reply to
James D Kountz

!!! Congrats! I still remember over 40 years ago when grown ups let me "help."

IMO you've made memories!

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

|Well today was a great day in the shop. I'm working on my own version of a |plunge router raiser for the router table. I was threading rods and bolts |and nuts and nothing was working. Things broke, nuts stripped out on me and |all in all the plan went belly up. The good part? My son (7) came out to the |shop and after diverting my attention away from the failed router raiser, we |took some scraps and built a bird house. Yes a simple bird house. Who would |have thought that such a simple project could bring me such great joy. As I |watched his eyes come alive with amazement at the pieces being cut, the |gluing and the nailing I was in a real happy place. I even let him shoot the |brads in with a nail gun. Well, actually I help and positioned the gun he |just pulled the trigger, but to him it was the coolest thing in the world. I |bet the thing never comes apart since there's about 100 1 1/4" brads in it!! |Not to mention half a pint of titebond II. My my. Anyway, after assembly |came the paint. I found some red spray paint and let me tell you when he got |ahold of that can, the fun was on my friends! The bird house is red, as is |part of my workbench, his fingers and the bill of the hat I was wearing. |What could I say?? So the day that started out in misery ended up being one |of the finest in recent memory. Maybe tomorrow we can do a feeder!!

Great story. Enjoy him.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

My son will be here in about 7 weeks (if the stork is on time)! I forward to us having days together like you enjoyed.

Until then...back to the shop - there's a lot a unfinished baby furniture projects that need my attention!

Reply to
GSX

It doesn't stop when they grow up. My older daughter is nearly 30 years old. She came to me recently with an idea for a cornice board for a couple of windows in her house. We drew up a design using crown molding, built them, and installed them yesterday.

It was a glorious feeling to see the delight on her face when something we designed and built together turned out just like we wanted. We got so excited about that project we started on plans for a deck.

Dick Durbin

Reply to
Dick Durbin

snipped-for-privacy@tfn.net (Dick Durbin) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Amen to that!

I've been doing projects with my dad lately, in my shop, for his house. He really doesn't need the stuff nearly as much as we need to spend the time together. My mom passed away in October. They have been married 55 years.

My sons understand why their projects are on hold. They know Grandpa is lonely too.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

You are a lucky man Mr. Kountz...good for you.

Reply to
allen.morgan

To make a proper memory I suggest you take a picture to act as 'glue'. Nice stuff James, good to see the youngun's getting involved.

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

Yeah, kids are great, aren't they? How did we ever get along without them?

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman