My Recent Project...

Page 3 of 3
On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 22:25:32 -0700, Lew Hodgett wrote:

The percentage of modelers in model rr'ing seems to be very small any more. The operators have taken over. Seems they'd prefer to buy rather than build so they can get operating sooner - some even dispense with scenery altogether. Of course the industry, including the magazines, is happy to support the "buy, don't build" trend.
I like building models. I have a collection of MR back to 1959. I find almost all the interesting projects are in the ones prior to 1980. I've even built a simple throttle from an article.
Woodworking/turning/carving seems to one of the few hobby areas that are bucking the trend. Anyone built their own computer anymore? I doubt it :-).
As far as automation goes, I retired about the time customers wanted to build real time control systems with Windoze :-).

Larry Blanchard wrote: >w oodworking/turning/carving seems to one of the few hobby areas that are

I build my own computers because that's the only way to get what I want (mostly quiet!), and I'd like a solid-state hard drive (SSD) on my next one.
Although I mainly did it in high-school, I can make my own fishing flies. During the last two years, I have been learning to play and listen to the fiddle (old time). Admittedly, I'm spending more and more time on learning woodworking.
It occurred to me yesterday that with the 15 pipe-clamps Mr. Hodgett talked me into buying (he's a year older than I am) that I should be able to make my own headboard and footboard for my bed (besides a coffee-table and a router table and at least one workbench)!
So, I'm doing what I can to "buck the trend"--having a good time too! Wish you all the same!
By the way, interestingly, it seems WoodCraft and Rockler are doing anything but trying to "buck the trend"!
Bill
"Larry Blanchard" wrote:

The age of instant gratification.
Lew
"Larry Blanchard" wrote:

Try that with a 6 station press line with interfacing "Gandy Dancers" that is knocking out 58 hoods an hour.
Programmable controllers can handle the individual presses as well as the gandy dancers, but the communication modules was another ball game.
Co-processors running on OS-9 got the job done.
Those with a preference for ModBus AKA: "Turtle Bus" or Windows were identified as rookies or day dreamers, take your pick.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I could get completely LOST in model railroading, but I dare not go there... :-(
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Steve Turner wrote:

It's one of those things you romanticize about doing.... then when you finally take it up, you get about 3 hours in and you think, "What the he!! am I doing?" and drop it.
For me, at least. I've seen other guys who stay on it like a bonsai tree.
--

-MIKE-

On 04 Oct 2009 07:39:40 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:>Here's a thread for those who just want to talk about their most recent

I have the sawdust from 4 projects on the floor... well, in the trash can because I sweep up every day...
1) 27 dovetailed cedar boxes for a wholesale customer. 20 of them have a scroll sawed logo with 4 paw prints in cedar with walnut beneath on the lid. First coat of finish went on tonight, shellac, to be followed with arm-r-seal tomorrow and tues.
2) A jewelry box, the big brother to one I posted pics of a while back, with the angled bubinga legs and figured maple drawer fronts, and full extension slides that drew the ire of many. Still haven't sold that one, but got a request for a larger version with 5 drawers instead of 3.
I actually decided to shoot video all through the process to see if I could edit together something I can promote with. A lot of futzing around with a tripod. There's no video of me talking into the camera, just work. Maybe I'll do a voice over after it's edited. I've got over 50 gigs of HD video on the hard drive at this point. If you think doing a glue-up is fun, try filming yourself doing a glue-up. There's at least one humerous out take so far.
3) A prototype of a tiny walnut dovetailed box that will hold a really fancy bracelet for another wholesale customer. It's a challenge trying to come up with something nice that is easy enough to make.
http://www.krtwood.com/images/braceletproto1.jpg
Ended up using a vertical raised panel bit for the cove.
4) Another prototype of a small box for same customer, this one is to hold and display 6 little, I guess they are picks. It's getting a fluted base with a rabbet around it and haven't quite figured out the top yet. I don't want to have to deal with miters but it's looking like that's the only non-cheesy way to do it. The setup for the base is going to be such a PITA for one little box that I'm just going to make a bunch of them rather than just one prototype. If she doesn't like it, oh well I wasted 1/2 a BF.
-Kevin
Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Good timing. Finished the end tables this weekend. Picked up the Granite tops on Friday and the handles from Horton Brass came in earlier in the week. Will put pictures on my homepage in the coming weeks, I've got a couple from inside the shop, but want to get some outside shots as well.
Interesting aside -- I had two of the MacKintosh handles I had gotten as candidates for a previous project and ordered the same kind from Horton Brass for the remaining 4 drawers on this project. The new ones came with the same "1902 Hill House" impression on the back of the casting, but it is obvious that they came from a different mold, they are a bit wider than the old ones. This worked out OK, I used the thinner ones on the top two drawers and the fatter ones on the bottom drawers. It makes sense given how Horton casts that this would be the case, and I'm not disappointed, it was just a piece of information for me to consider for future reference.

Rob Leatham
Whille the sawdust is not on the floor I did want to submit my recently finished blanket chest. I have six grandchildren and this is the first of six blanket chests. It is based on a plan from FWW Mar/Apr 98 and made from Walnut and Beech. The Beech came from Rockler and was described as "flame curly" and if you look at the pic in APBW you will see the figure. The finish is GF two step with Seal-A-Cell and Arm-R-Seal. The inside is done is Shellac.This is my third woodworking project since getting back into the hobby after about 30 years. Russ

Looks as if I'll have to wait 'til DJ's site catches up with ABPW. I've been making our new dining table: http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com / Tom
Tom
Is the top plywood only. I am working on a table design that would use recycled pine flooring over plywood as the table top, but am having trouble determining how to attach the flooring to the plywood. The flooring will move with mositure but the plywood is very stable. One thought is similar to what I did in the blanket chest, I used cedar closet lining on the bottom which was glued to plywood but only a thin stripe of glue down the center of each cedar plank. The original article on building the blanket chest gave this as the author's method of attaching the cedar to the plywood. Think this would work for a table? I would also apply a contrasting hardwood edge treatment around the perimeter of the plywood table top. Russ

My top will be about 84x46, trimmed with about 2.5 inches of solid wood. How big is yours? Tom
I was planning to go to at least 96 x 46, perhaps as much as 108 x 48.
Russ

Yow, that's big. Well, what's the worst that could happen if it did go all warped on you? Maybe build it in the more humid time of year, so you can jam the pieces together tightly, and deal with whatever falls through the cracks during drier times? Tom
Tom
Thanks for taking the time to think about my ideas. I will probably try my approach and see what happens. The reason for the size is to try and get our family around the table at holiday dinners. We have three children, each one married with two children, so we would like to get 5 adults and 6 children around the table when we are able to get them all to our house for the holidays.
Russ

DJ has caught up. That there's beautiful work. Through tenons, nice grain. Tom