My Recent Project...

Here's a thread for those who just want to talk about their most recent woodworking project. There's only two guidelines: It must be a woodworking project and recent means the saw dust is still fresh.

My recent project is benchwork for my model railroad. The basic frame went together quickly, but the legs are taking some time. Nothing really special about thier construction, it's just two 1x2s glued together for stability and cut/sanded/trimmed smooth.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Most recent (current) project is a rustic farm table in maple. Sawdust part is finished, but I still have to ding it up for the rusticisming and apply the finish.

Swmbo likes it enough that she wants one too. Maybe someday....

Joe

Mine is the Rockler queen size Murphy bed with a two foot wide bookcase on each side. I've rough cut all the material and need to edge band, apply finish, add hardware and assemble. Then there's the matter of a mattress which doesn't appear to be an inexpensive proposition.

- Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Doug Winterburn wrote in news:O_0ym.24697$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe22.iad:

I'm doing a twin like that. I have ot yet cut all pieces as I am working it up as I go along. I have the bed frame and have it mounted on the face panels. I inadvertently cut extra openings for legs that won't be there (damn panels switched long and short sides on me when I wasn't looking), so that will call for properly placed "embellishments". For the handles I chose, the leg pieces do NOT need 1/4" holes, but smaller ones, and I need to cut the handle screws down so they properly can be countersunk.

Reply to
Han

Just finished a Greene & Greene style book stand for a friend who has a very large Bible. Based on the Thorsen and Bolton plant stands in Lang's book on the subject. Mahogany and shellac. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I've been mired up in "restoration" projects, so there's been precious little fresh sawdust. Brought three different antique chairs back from the dead, all with complete disassembly, joint repairs, parts replacements, new finishes, and even new upholstery (which I'm not very good at). Gonna take a quick detour and build a knife block for our newly acquired collection of Wustof kitchen knives (love 'em), then it's off to build a loft bed for my daughter. Pointers to good plans for either of those are welcome*. :-)

(* Yes, I've already spent countless hours slogging through Google looking for ideas, but that's not my idea of fun.)

Reply to
Steve Turner

Can you post some pic's please?

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

I just finished some display stands for a Navajo entrepreneur merchandizing her "Medicine of the People" salves and balms.

I met the lady whose likeness is on the tin. This little project got me to thinking about furthering the mobility of my shop fixtures. That old immobile outfeed table sitting next to my sheetgoods and cutoffs cart is taking up too much space, and is too high when I'm putting longer boards through the planer. Had some good casters laying around unused, and started with bolting them to a 3/4 inch, 2x3 foot hunk of leftover particle board (there's always more invested in hardware than material, at least in my case). The material I have remaining is 2 sheets of 1/2 inch particle board, which I'll double in thickness with glue and screws to make the 24x28 sides of the carcase. A single thickness of 1/2 inch will comprise the back, and a remnant of melamine countertop will cap it off. I'll be building two flush-fitting 6 inch deep drawers to ride on oak runners (or maybe spend the money on a couple of good drawer guides) which will give me a place to put all the crap that's been accumulating on top of the old table, and under those drawers will be an open spot about 15 inches high for the larger crap to languish. The original top with its lazy susan will still be used in a modular fashion for small finishing jobs. Pictures soon. Tom

Reply to
tom

So we share two hobbies, not one. I always seem to move before getting to the scenery, so my latest benchwork was built with an eye to portability. I built 4 open grid modules, or "dominoes", each 27" x 66".

I used cedar fence boards planed smooth (1/2"), cut to width, and drilled holes for wire runs and to further reduce weight. Each bare module weighed a little under 4 pounds.

Note that the cedar doesn't hold screws well so I back risers with a small piece of pine.

If I did it again I'd make the grid from 1x3s instead of 1x2s for a little more rigidity.

The modules assemble into two 27" by 11' dioramas back to back. Each thus serves as staging for the other.

Good luck with your layout.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

The model railroad has been my recent project, but the woodworking aspects were done a couple of years ago. Track and wiring all done, even have had some operating sessions. Scenery and building will take up time this winter when I'm not doing repairs around the house. Projects in mind include a small box to hold the cremated remains of one of my cats who passed away early this past summer - will be big enough to hold his brother when his time comes. Ideas and plans welcome for this project. Will also do some more wood pens over the winter, and some desk top sets for pens and pencils.

Reply to
Matt

now on abpw...

Reply to
jo4hn

My most recent completed project was a video dolly for a friend who is working on a documentary for the East Broad Top Railroad.

The dolly rides on twenty feet of track made out of PVC pipe. The whole thing is portable and breaks down to ride in his mini van. The Dolly frame is ash, because I have a lot of it. the corners are lapped and use jig knobs and tee nuts to hold the frame together. Roller blade wheels mounted on 3/16" angle which is attached to the underside of the long frame members provide for a very smooth ride along the track. I turned pins to connect the pipes together. There are cute little pockets with neoprene liners to hold the tripod. We had a problem with the original design for the light standards. Yes, the lights roll along with the camera. The design has been reworked and should be a lot more stable and not break when we pic the rig up to move it.

It was an interesting project to say the least. I got to work with wood, plastic pipe, and heavy aluminum angle. The holes for the wheels had to be drilled and tapped. Getting the inside nuts on the wheel bolts was a real challenge.

It does roll smoothly, even if I do say so myself.

If anybody is interested, I can post pictures on APBW.

My current project is a storage unit for a friend of my wife's who is into scrapbooking. It is a mobile unit for holding paper, lots of paper, and colored stamp pads. For this project, I had to learn how to do stubbed dados using a router. That is something I had never done before.

The carcass is sitting on the bench with the bottom screwed in place. I dread taking all of the screws out in order to add the glue, but...I will. When the body of the thing is assembled, I have to cut shelves...lots of shelves. The ones for the paper will slide out, the ones for the stamp pads will be captured permanently in the case.

I am using birch plywood and 1/4" luan. I pre finished the insides of the case so that I would not have to try to sand into the corners.

__________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Waller

Cool, ty

Reply to
Zz Yzx

I just built a bookcase out of poplar, the smell of the polyurethane has just faded away and some of the sawdust is still on the garage floor. It's

18" wide by 7' tall, built for a narrow space between two pieces of furniture in our office/library. It was supposed to relieve the pressure on the bookcases that wrap around two other walls, but naturally it instantly filled up with books without making much of a dent in the overflow. There was one major error in construction, and although SWMBO said to just go get another piece of poplar and redo the screwed-up side I decided to fix the major blunder in such a way as to be a permanent reminder to me of what not to do in similar situations. Measure twice, cut once only works if you're measuring from the correct %*$#! line in the first place.

As always with a new project I used it as an opportunity to buy a new tool, in this case a Bosch ROS20VSK sander. I was a bit surprised to discover this sander was made in Malaysia, first time I've seen that from Bosch. But it works fine, and the dust collection is amazing. I ended up connecting it to a shop vac since emptying the built-in filter got stale in a hurry. Either way there was almost no dust left on the work, Bosch really got that right. I also like the low profile, seems like it's easier to keep the sander dead-flat as opposed to "pagoda" designs.

I sanded from 80 up to 220 with the ROS, then sanded by hand with 320, left it natural and put on a few coats of Lawrence McFadden clear gel (I love that stuff) sanded with a 320 sponge between coats. It looks pretty good if you ignore where I forgot to use a backing block to prevent tear-out (why couldn't that have happened on the back where it wouldn't matter?) and the little (ahem) layout error that I fixed with strips from a piece of cutoff. Materials were 25' of 11-1/4" poplar, some cutoffs of 1/4" ply for the back which the local hardware store provided for a couple of bucks, LM clear gel poly, four screws and a couple of dozen itty bitty finishing nails to hold the back on. If mistakes are how we learn then I guess I'm smarter now than before I started this project, but it hasn't fallen over and people I'm not married to say it looks good, so maybe it isn't so bad.

Reply to
DGDevin

My recent project was a stair modification for the back porch of an elderly couple. (Elderly meaning a little older than me) I basically took a bunch of surplus wood they had in their garage and made a new set of steps to fit over the current steps. The new steps cut the height in half, making it much easier for them to go down and up the steps. I will finish it today.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Mine is the ongoing project of bringing the shop back online with a view to making high end chess sets, jewelry boxes, footlockers, etc.

The chess sets are going good, except for the knights, which are going too slowly. I'm having some fun with the footlockers because I'm using wood where I used to use brass hardware. The ebony hinges with brass rods look pretty sharp.

I hope to sell a little bit prior to Christmas and then spend the winter producing for inventory.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

FWIW, just finished a couple of 'down n' dirty' tambour door "appliance garages" last week that I had promised to a recent kitchen client, and needed to assuage my guilty conscious before any more time passed:

in a hurry, I used Rockler's tambour door mechanism:

much better than I anticipated, although that could be because I didn't follow the extremely vague, misleading, poorly written instructions ... Apparently there is only one manufacturer, and plenty of "retailers", but all roads lead to Rockler.

Next time I'll go back to the 'old board and plunge router' method.

Why would any one want an "appliance garage" any how??

Reply to
Swingman

I have several projects going. A route bit cabinet, an entertainment center and 3 chairs being repaired.

The "newest" woodshop (house next door) remodel consists of continueing to replace exterior siding and interior (perimeter walls) wall-covering replacement. The other non-perimeter interior walls have been removed and logs have been strategically placed with beams for roof support and the like. Several new floor cabinets/work benches have been made, with wall-attached shelving above. One other floor cabinet/workbench has been cut out, ready for assembly, and the open shelves above it have been built and installed.... face frames not yet installed, though.

The upholstery shop has been 95% complete for at least 10 months. Finish flooring and base boards need to be purchased and installed and I need some better lighting, so new and/or more fixtures need to be installed.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Sounds like interesting and ambitious projects ... got any pictures? Access to apbw? Fire away.

Reply to
Swingman

He sounds very ambitious. Sonny, you're young, aren't you? Yes, pictures, please. I took some pictures of my more modest effort to use up scrap and move the crap. In the "Work in progress" album. tomeshew.spaces.live.com Tom

Reply to
tom