My Own "What Is It?"

Page 1 of 2
I came across that is basically shaped like a pair of pliers except it has complementary small ovalular regions (~~3/16" long) dugout in the upper and lower jaws of the "pliers". The tool is probably at least 50 years old. I'm guessing it's for some type of clamps (the sort where you squeeze the ends together to release pressure). But that idea only holds water if the ends of the clamps are basically made out of steel wire. Any ideas? BTW, I might be able to part with this rare tool if the price is right! ; )
Bill
"Bill" <> wrote in message>

Sounds like a radiator hose clamp tool to me. I'll bet the jaws rotate? The good ones did.... phil kangas

Thank you for your interest. There is a bolt going though both handles which allows one to vary the minimum distance between the jaws (min is about 3/16"). I wouldn't say that the jaws rotate, but they are not aligned--which adds support for your radiator clamp tool proposal. I'll try it on a radiator hose clamp if I can find one...
It IS very well made--solid, built to last. Reasonable offers accepted! :)
Thanks, Bill

Maybe they fit 50 year old radiator hose clamps? They don't resemble any new radiator hose clamp tools (I've been looking at)... I think you are correct though.
Thanks, Bill
Bill wrote:

That would be hog ring pliers
MikeB

You will need to find an "OLD" car as this type hose clamp had not been used in many many years. The clamp that they work on is very simple, a spring clamp if you will.

I used to sell them back in the 70's for about 50 cents per pair. You can keep them.

No, it's been determined these are "hog ring clamps". BIG-difference... I should try to market them in a Harley newsgroup... ; )

Actually a trim or upholstry shop would be a better bet if you are serious.

I'm not too serious. I bought a box with a hand plane in it, and the hog ring clamps were in the bottom of the box. Having been picking them up every week or so for the last 2 months, I'm happy to finally know what they are! Like others, I assumed they were clamps for rubber tubing. It's sort of bothersome to have tools you can't identify. I think the "What Is It?" threads are great!
Bill

Sounds like you're describing a radiator hose clamp pliers.

picture for us.
Gordon Shumway
Is it good if a vacuum really sucks?
Hog ring pliers perhaps?
http://www.academyfence.com/fencingtools/HogRingPliers.html
Just the first reasonable page I found.

The other use for hog rings is automotive (and maybe other) upholstery.
Gordon Shumway
Is it good if a vacuum really sucks?
"Bill" wrote:

Be aware there is more than one type of hog ring.
At least my dad used different types when we had hogs.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Yep, there is those little rubber rings that slip over the testicles of hogs and other farm animals. A lot of work to install those things on account the animal is rarely cooperative.

I would think someone with that job would be willing to pay alot for a hog ring clamp. ; )
a couple more applications for the ringer is in ringing wire like hardware cloth or chicken netting together for making cages for animals. I worked on a mink ranch when I was young and they used hog rings for mink assembling cages. also can be used to seal the end of sausage casings, like summer sausage tubes.
As an upholsterer, my first thought was hog ringer pliers, also. Upholsterers use these often when a Klinch-It Fastener can't (normally) be used to attach coil springs to jute webbing, ie., awkward positioning, so an alternative tool (hog ringer) is used when repairing springs/attachments without disassembling a whole piece of furniture/fabric. We also use spring clip pliers, which is somewhat similar to hog ringer pliers (but different jaws), to attach springs to a stiff wire edgeing, for a framed set of coil springs. One can, maybe, describe a spring clip as a modified/specialized hog ring, though I doubt a spring clip can be used to ring a hog's nose. Hog ringer pliers are a typical/common tool for attaching hog rings to automotive fabrics in some nonvisible locations.
Yep, lots of uses for hog rings/pliers in applications other than hog's noses.
Sonny
on 9/29/2009 2:11 AM (ET) Ross Hebeisen wrote the following:

I used to work on a mink farm when I was a kid too. Mine was in West Nyack, NY. Where was yours?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY