My old Radial Arm Saw has problems turning over

I have this older Radial Arms Saw, that I like to sell, but I'm afraid to, because I have a problem with the motor turning over. Usually I take things apart, and then I don't know how to put it back together. The first time I tried it, I turned the on/off switch on several times, and it sounded better each time, and then the motor finally ran. This time, the wire got kind of hot and I noticed a little smoke coming from the switch. Very very little though, and it blew the house fuse (20 amp). Now I'm scared to try anything. Can I get some advise please. I will try to take it apart, but this time, I will be careful. I'm not a Klotz, but I'm an old fart and my memory is getting bad. As far as where things go after I took it apart. Here is the nomenclature of the motor: 3/4 hp 10.7 amp cy 60/50 Model # 5KC35NGI39 (I think I can read General Electric)I think the I in front of the 39 is really an I, but it could be a 1 as well, but it is a pretty big letter. I'm not sure if this helps, but my inclination, is to loosen the 4 long screws that hold together the case of the motor, then I'm lost, and probably would screw things up at that point. The side of the compound arm says Derra -James model 900, and the front of the arm it says Toolcraft. Many thanks in advance...........Grandpa (Opa) Peter

Reply to
PeterM

Peter, Quick question. Are there any caps on the motor? You would see somewhat large bulges on the motor it self.

If so, my guess the cap is shot. Or at least this would be my first guess. If the motor does run fine after the initial smoke, than that would almost confirm it.

Reply to
Chris

Hello Chris...........Thanks for your kind answer............I went and looked all over, but no bulges anywhere, the motor looks beautiful and restful. The electrical cords coming out of the motor seem a little loose, but I can't figure out how to check the connections. IS there an opening, under the plate that holds the model #. The electrical wires and the plate are 3 inches apart on the motor, usually, there is an opening right there where the wire goes in, but not on this original motor..........Peter

Reply to
PeterM

I agree with Chris. Toolcraft was a Montgomery Ward brand wasn't it? However, my advice is to remove the motor and take it to an electric motor shop. At least they can test without risk of serious injury. Jim

Reply to
Jim

Believe it was PowerKraft that was Monkey Wards house brand. Toolcraft/Toolkraft sounds like something out of one of the BORGS

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

You tweaked my curiosity muscle so I did a bit of research and came up with the following from the toolkraft web page:

========== ToolKraft of 700 Plainfield St. Chicopee, Massachusetts closed it's facility manufacturing facility in 1984. During its 50 plus year tenure in the Power Tool Industry they manufactured products under many names. Some of the brands they were responsible for are ToolKraft, Darra James, all the Power Craft - Montgomery Wards power tools such as the Table Saws, Drill Presses, Sanders, Band Saws and Radial Arm Saws also a Shaper and Jointer (prior to 1980) under the DeWalt brand and B&D for Black and Decker or other brands bearing model numbers with the prefix "THS". If you are looking for parts for any of these machines or other woodworking machines and not sure, give us a call at 860-623-1781 or send email to PARTS @ TOOLKRAFT ================

googly yours, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

What I do is have a clean working area and lay the parts down in sequential order and in relative position as you are removing it just like what you see in a parts diagram where all the parts are shown and connected together by dotted lines. If you have a digital camera take pictures as you are dissembling it and take it at different angles, mark the critical parts as to which way it goes together, take notes and draw diagrams as you go along. I often take things apart then come back to it a year later although not intentional - that then becomes a challenge.

Reply to
Fred

PowrKraft was Montgomery Ward's in-house tool brand. Toolkraft manufactured them.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon