My observation re: David Marks

Ok, let me state at the outset that I like his shows. I'm sure many of you also appreciate him. I don't want what I'm about to say to be thought of as a slam of him in any way, and I am not wanting to start an argument of any sort!

Here goes: Last night, as I was watching him interview Krenov "it" finally struck me. His delivery is stilted, like when a non-actor is required to stand in front of a camera to recite some lines of dialog. He seems to always be reciting, from memory, his lines, with no true feelings imparted to the dialog. Norm, on the other hand, always seems totally natural when speaking to the camera.

I've been able to tune in to his shows for only the past few months. I think he does a credible job of presenting the projects that have been selected for broadcast. Certainly none of that "and a few brads to hold it until the glue dries" mentality!

Do any of you also find David's delivery "forced" and unnatural?

I will continue to search the DIY channel listings for his shows and tune in to any that I've not seen before.

Dave

Reply to
David

I recently started watching him also. Completely different style than Nahmmy. I like the projects that I have seen him build thus far. Nahm only makes antique reproductions, Mark seems to make more modern pieces.

I will agree with you that Marks style on camera is a little "rough", but I think he has a LOT to offer. I will DEFINITELY continue to watch Mark and I also look forward to Nahmmy's next season.

Reply to
stoutman

Yes, I do, too. But I talked to him at a show last year and found him to be a nice, normal person. He said that the producers have some strong opinions about what he says and he often finds himself saying things in a way he would never do if he could choose. That especially applies to many of the puns and jokes that he uses. He said that some of that stuff is just plain embarrassing.

But I sure like his show. His work is beautiful.

PDX David

Reply to
Jane & David

I think what you're describing may be due to having a director trying to get what he needs for a half hour show. Mr. Marks in person covering a subject in front of an audience of woodworkers is pretty relaxed and comfortable. Not as mellow as Michael Fortune, not as intense as Mark Adams but not as marginally terrified as Yeung Chan.

It's the medium and the format that may be the cause. It's hard to stay relaxed and informingly informal under a bunch of hot lights with a boom microphone waving just above your head, eight or ten people around you just off camera doing all kinds of things

- including holding a stop watch and a clipboard.

Some people are more comfortable in a defined and controlled environment and others are better a free form, free for all "we'll start here but after that ..." situation.

If you want to watch one of the best on camera or off, get any Frank Klausz video and watch it. But then much of it is probably by rote - he went through the traditional european apprenticeship and has had the information stuffed into his genetics makeup.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Your discussion with him bears out my perception then; he IS awkward with the dialog. Too bad he isn't given full control over the content. Now that I know he is on 204 (DIY), I check the schedule each day in order not to miss his show; his work is an inspiration. I especially liked the mirror frame episode last week. I chuckle when he runs a piece over his aircraft carrier deck...ahem...jointer, or uses his other out-of-the-average-woodworker's price range and/or space limitations equipment. Drooling is required when watching his show.

Dave

Jane & David wrote:

Reply to
David

Good points, Charlie. I sure wouldn't be relaxed under those conditions; in fact I'd probably freeze like Garth did when their show went mainstream in Wayne's World.

BTW, David's interview with Krenov was the highlight of his shows as far as I'm concerned. The guy's a living legend, and no wonder. David seemed pleasantly relieved that he correctly guessed the wood species that Krenov (or maybe it was Art Carpenter?) quizzed him about.

Dave

charlie b wrote:

Reply to
David

TV is a very difficult medium to look good on, particularly when you are dealling with a show that has to fit into half an hour with three commercial breaks with trailers and recaps at each break.

The main problem seems to be when he does a voice over, he looks pretty stiff except when he is doing some woodworking.

Someone posted saying that he blames the jokes on the producers, sounds to me as if they are trying to get him to copy Norm's act. Its the director's job to make the actor feel comfortable and give a natural performance, it sounds to me as if the director is incompetent.

breathless at times.

Norm does not attempt to do work in a particular style, Marks does. This has advantages and disadvantages. There is almost nothing that Marks does that I could use in my current house which is a 1900 dutch colonial. Almost everything Norm does would either work as is or could be adapted for some part of the house.

The other constraint is the SWMBO factor, the Marks stuff does not appeal to her, Norm stuff is much more likely to.

The original idea behind Norm's show was to get people doing woodwork, Marks might have that idea but I don't think the producers do. Norm deliberately uses a range of materials over each season which is very useful if you are thinking about doing the maple sideboard in teak and can watch the program where he is making stuff in teak and find out that it wrecks your jointer knives etc. Marks on the other hand uses a much more limited range of mostly exotic, mostly solid woods and rarely uses any finish other than tung oil.

Of course Norm having by now made everything there is to make out of plywood, he has gone for bigger projects of late and this season did a lot of antique reproductions where the wood alone would cost several thousand dollars. I was somewhat surprised that he made the mahoghany dining table out of solid wood, a veneer top would be much more economical and add considerably to the piece. Of course this is just about the one woodworking skill that Norm seems to avoid while Marks thinks nothing of getting out his vaccum bag and cauls.

Reply to
Phillip Hallam-Baker

David wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Two notes:

TiVo gives you a lot more control of your television viewing. And you can fast forward through the 'Ed the Plumber' promos, which are MUCH more embarrassing than DJM pun recitations... Check with your cable or sat provider for a combined, better integrated, better priced deal.

DJM did a show or two where he gave a 'shop tour' of the tools and their roles. He said that most of those tools were acquired used, when the right opportunity came along, and rebuilt or tuned up. (OK, so not the big OneWay lathe.) I do envy him that much shop space. SWMBO is beginning to consider that we need much bigger studio facilities...

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

"Phillip Hallam-Baker" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

It was good to see Norm show some more range this year. I suspect that there was quite a bit held back, to keep to the 'New Yankee' image, both budget and presumed viewer skill set. But after these decades, we've most of us learned quite a bit, Norm included.

It was nice that he got to strut a little bit.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

You mention 'vacuum bag', can those storage bags be used for this?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I noticed that also - but I also noticed that when he works his actions are slow and deliberate. Almost to the point of annoying. (Look at a show where they both rip a piece of wood on the table saw) Not that Nahms arent but they both work in very different manners. Ive tried to apply that to my work and I can tell that the quality of my work has improved

Reply to
Rob V

Don't this as derogatory, but this has been brought up a few times in the past and, merely from an observational viewpoint, I've always thought it strange that many folks seem to be uncomfortable unless they have polished, actor delivered lines on TV.

I am beginning to wonder if this is possibly the natural reaction of a generation raised on TV from a young age. Could be that because we didn't own one until I was twelve, my perceptions in this regard aren't as finely tuned as yours, and my expectations regarding polished delivery much lower.

To me, what you see as "stilted" is not surprising (and actually more "real" and believable then the slick talking, pretty boy, DIY carpenters with nothing but their buns to recommend them for the job) since DJM is so obviously not an actor, and apparently delivering lines exactly as he is required to do.

Again, just an off-the-cuff observation on a issue that has been brought up a few times before.

Reply to
Swingman

Good question, I haven't tried doing it either way or arything like it.

The bag is probably flexible enough and strong enough to get good clamping pressure with cauls.

I am not so sure about using a domestic vac to create and maintain the pressure. You can't solve the problem of air leaking back into the bag by having a domestic vaccum pumping continuously, well you could but I don't think the motor would last very long.

I did a google but couldn't see any comments.

Reply to
Phillip Hallam-Baker

On Sat, 21 May 2005 18:53:58 -0700, the inscrutable Jane & David spake:

Isn't it, though? I've seen him adlib and his speech is not canned at all then. He just reacts to the restrictions placed on him by the directors, producers, and maybe a goombah cameraman. ;) They probably made him revert to long sleeves to cover his large forearm tattoos.

Yes, I love the show (the only thing worth watching on DIY) and his work. I'd like to meet the man.

- The only reason I would take up exercising is ||

so that I could hear heavy breathing again. || Programmed Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I reallly think that he is talented and really think that he takes a hit or two before shooting the show.

Reply to
Leon

It's quite obviously scripted and not always correctly. He sticks with the script regardless. On two occasions, I have heard him refer to a to a Stanley #80 as a block plane. It was obviously in the script that way as he has demonstrated on other occasions that he knows the difference.

Reply to
CW

Here's DJMs comments on the vacuum press.

Odinn

I don't think its just the technology, very few US politicians would get beyond local councilor level in the UK. With very rare exceptions they just don't have public speaking skils.

Much was made of Georgeous George Galloway's appearance in the Senate, but the performance that got rave reviews from most quarters was technically sub-par Galloway won because he had weak opposition who treated him with too obvious contempt. If you look at his UK performances of years past there have been several occasions where a skilled interviewer made him self destruct.

Appearing natural and relaxed on camera as Reagan or Clinton could do is amazingly difficult, it is even harder if you are having to deal with the unexpected.

I don't often do TV work, its mostly press but even that is pretty exhausting. When I do interviews there is almost always something I feel I should have done better afterwards. And in press you always have to work through the reporter who can sometimes print the exact opposite of what you said - or in some cases the editor will stick a headline on the article that is completely wrong.

Marks does look stilted but that is not his problem, putting the actors at ease is the Director's job. Getting the right director/producer combination is the agent's job. At this point Marks has done 8 series and has an independent reputation, what he needs to do is take more control over the process. DIYTV and HGTV are both running continuously and have an almost unlimited appetite for material. Marks should have an agent who is making sure that the format of the show best showcases Marks.

The DIY network have a really irritating guy who my wife describes as 'too cocky by half'. His performance is really polished but his craftmanship isn't. This wouldn't be too bad if he presented himself as an amateur having a go but he presents himself as an expert. The 'fix it up' pair that used to come on after Norm when he was on HGTV don't look too expert either but thats ok because the premise of the show is that they are DIY'ers having a go.

Early on in the New Yankee Workshop Norm is doing the same sort of thing at the very start the premise was he is a carpenter doing cabinet work so if you have a little knowledge you can do like he does. That started to wear thin after a few series and twenty years on it would be ridiculous. But even so Norm does not talk down to his audience, neither for that matter does Marks. The pretty boys with nice bums for the benefit of the female audience frequently appear to be patronising.

The main difference between the Marks/Norm shows and the 'B-team' shows as far as I can see is that Norm and Marks both spend time making jigs to do the work properly and on the B-team shows the rarely use anything more complex than a stop block.

Reply to
Phillip Hallam-Baker

Is this another Robin Hartl thread? :-)

She's highly qualified in that regard.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

When you want to see polished acting, go to a movie. When you want to see superb woodworking, tune on David J Marks. Jim

Reply to
Jim