my new website

I've been reading this group for about 8 years (I'm more of a reader than a poster). I've gained a lot of information over the years. About 4 years ago I left my job to start a furniture business. I've finally gotten around to doing a website showing samples of my work. Take a look when you get a chance--maybe it will inspire you that way some of the other people's websites have inspired me.
the site is: www.brndogwoodworks.com
David
--
snipped-for-privacy@mac.com
www.brndogwoodworks.com

Very nice David. I like the Brake Rotor table.
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:30:08 GMT, "Leon"

Me too
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Thanks. I've made a few of the disk tables using slightly different leg designs. Quite interesting to see who recognizes the top as a brake disk and who doesn't. You should see some of the looks I get at service shops when I ask for old truck disks and then tell them that I use them as table tops.
dp
--
snipped-for-privacy@mac.com
www.brndogwoodworks.com

Beautiful stuff David.
I love the fact that this is not traditional furniture. It is bold and innovative.
And I am a big fan of sculpture too.
You aree doing good.
"David Penner" wrote in message

You are indeed an artist ... in the finest sense of the word.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Thanks. I really enjoy what I do. I love making furniture, but enjoy being able to try other avenues of expression.
dp
--
snipped-for-privacy@mac.com
www.brndogwoodworks.com

Excellent work, I too like the use of everyday objects as works of art. I wish you all success.
Small note of caution: When collecting old brake rotors, clean the asbestos carefully.
Dave

Thanks for the kind words. I clean the rotors outside (wearing a mask, gloves, and face shield) using an angle grinder with a wire wheel. I then use a big propane burner to heat up the disk while I apply boiled linseed oil---similar to seasoning a cast iron pan. When it cools, but is still warm, I apply wax. Gives a great finished surface for indoors.
dp
--
snipped-for-privacy@mac.com
www.brndogwoodworks.com
Teamcasa wrote:

The rotos would have to be pretty old. The use of asbestos in brake linings was outlawed in the US in the mid 80's.
Oh, and great work David!
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Steve
Thanks for the kind words. The site took at bit of time--it's my first time doing one--but it came out the way I wanted it to. I looked at a couple of design books that focussed on the aesthetics rather than the technical; that really helped.
The hanging heart was a gift to my wife. We have a small, old bungalow that someone in distant past opened up the living room ceiling to make a vaulted ceiling. THe hanging heart hangs from the ceiling--the bottom of the heart is about 7 feet off the floor. Because most people don't really look up that much when entering a room, it's always fun to the see the look on their faces when they notice it for the first time.
dp
--
snipped-for-privacy@mac.com
www.brndogwoodworks.com

Nice!
I'm not normally a fan of art furniture, but I REALLY like the brake rotor table and the table made with two spalted slabs.
Very nice...
Barry

Very impressive, you have a very diverse set of talents (both metal and wood). Very interesting designs; thanks for sharing. Best wishes for your furniture business, looks like you have the right stuff to do well.

I absolutely love to see people's work who aren't afraid to take chances. That doesn't always work, but in your case it works for me. Thank you so much for sharing.