My new toy. What an adventure.

I just bought a tabletop mill. It was a couple of hours away and a friend was very close and picked it up for me. He showed up this morning with a machine that weighed 5 or 6 hundred pounds fully assembled in the back of his truck. I did not have a fork, or a lift table. We would up removing the motor, then the head in the truck. We then hoisted, cursed, bitched and moaned the rest of it on to a table with wheels. Rolled it in the shop to discover the ceiling was too low to reassemble. Back out to the truck so we could stand in the truck and hoist the head back on to the column. Back in to the shop to get it back together and start it up. Cool!!! Then back to the street because I could not get the top cover back on. A nice mornings work. Having a mill in the shop is very handy. Besides fixing all of the old tools and building new ones, you can mortise and do a lot of other operations. I might even give up my prized drill press if this works out. max

Reply to
max

That's a good friend. Tom

Reply to
tom

sounds like what I have. does it look like this:

you're going to come to love the big table.

if you can, convert the motor to 220v.

get a clamp set if it didn't come with one:

this tool is excellent for making router jigs.

Reply to
bridger

| I just bought a tabletop mill.

I don't even care what you paid for it - you suck!

Morris Dovey

Give it a few years and the mill will suck, I inherited one of those at work and passed it on to the next w/s supervisor too, absolute rubbish for serious work (OK we have to work to microns), useful for roughing small stuff, until the bearings go, mounting castings crack etc etc...

Reply to
Badger

| Morris Dovey wrote: || max (in BF6D724F.61093% snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net) said: || ||| I just bought a tabletop mill. || || I don't even care what you paid for it - you suck! || | Give it a few years and the mill will suck, I inherited one of | those at work and passed it on to the next w/s supervisor too, | absolute rubbish for serious work (OK we have to work to microns), | useful for roughing small stuff, until the bearings go, mounting | castings crack etc etc...

Perhaps - but to a guy who has _no_ mill it sounds pretty good!

Morris Dovey