My new kitchen knife holder

I have a concept for a much nicer knife block, but it will take me ages to start making it, and until recently all our knives were just sitting out on the counter acting as clutter. I wouldn't let them go into the drawers for safety reasons (they're really sharp), and to keep them from knocking around getting dull. But my mother-in-law gave us this old crock pot her mother used to use to hold kitchen utensils, thinking I could put them in that. Wanting to protect the knives, I routed a pine disk to cover the bottom, and coopered a 19 sided lining to cover the insides, then made a slotted top to hold the knives, leaving a little gap at the sides for additional utensils. Scroll to the bottom of this web page to see what I'm talking about:

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

You do know that the bottom of that crock is one of the finest blade sharpening ceramics available, don't ya? It even works quite well on serrated edges.

Reply to
DanG

No, I didn't know that. It's always worthwhile striking up a conversation around here; you never know what you might learn!

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

My mother would sit down on a kitchen chair, a crock between her legs, and go to work sharpening an butcher knife.

Must have worn at least a couple of knives down to nothing over the years.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett