My new kitchen knife holder

I have a concept for a much nicer knife block, but it will take me ages to start making it, and until recently all our knives were just sitting out on the counter acting as clutter. I wouldn't let them go into the drawers for safety reasons (they're really sharp), and to keep them from knocking around getting dull. But my mother-in-law gave us this old crock pot her mother used to use to hold kitchen utensils, thinking I could put them in that. Wanting to protect the knives, I routed a pine disk to cover the bottom, and coopered a 19 sided lining to cover the insides, then made a slotted top to hold the knives, leaving a little gap at the sides for additional utensils. Scroll to the bottom of this web page to see what I'm talking about:
http://www.manyirons.com/Puker/knifeholders.htm
- Owen -
You do know that the bottom of that crock is one of the finest blade sharpening ceramics available, don't ya? It even works quite well on serrated edges.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"DanG" wrote:

My mother would sit down on a kitchen chair, a crock between her legs, and go to work sharpening an butcher knife.
Must have worn at least a couple of knives down to nothing over the years.
Lew