My New(est) Unisaw (w/pic)

Just because one cannot have enough Unisaws, I brought another one of mine home last night. It has been in storage where I work for almost a year as I acquired the parts I needed to rebuild it. I have a new Dan Foss mag starter, 3 hp Baldor motor, DeWALT sliding table, General T-Square (Biesemeyer) 50" fence, Delta mobile base and Biesemeyer splitter for it. All just waiting for the tear down, clean up and rebuild.

total I have about $1400 CDN (about $1050 USD) into the saw and the new parts. I still have to buy paint, bearings and maybe pay for some machine shop work. I checked the arbour, and it has less than 0.001" of run out, so unless I mangle it when I change the bearings, no machining should have to be done.

This saw is a 50's version, made here in Canada with a cast iron plinth. The front edge of the main table is machined at 90º to the table top, and strait, which is what I needed to install the DeWALT sliding table. My current saw, and most of the Canadian made Unisaws that I have come across have a rough sand cast front edge into which bosses were machined for standoff posts to attach the front and rear rails to. Attaching the DeWALT sliding table to a non-strait front table edge would have been difficult.

This new saw will be come my main saw and I will sell the old one (4HP Leeson) for $1500 CDN when this one is done.

More photo's to follow...

David.

David F. Eisan

You are lucky in more ways than one David. I'd like to have the money, the saw, the parts and the skill to rebuild one of those excellent machines. Good luck and good sawing. (Sawyering?)

JP

********************* An unstocked pond.
Reply to
Jay Pique

hmmm, unisaw addiction. It can be treated but the side effects... Congrats on your new project! SH

Reply to
Slowhand