My new CHERRY dining table is finished!

Page 1 of 2

I finally finished my new cherry dining table. Please check it out and let me know what you think. It is kind of mission style.
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Cherry_Table.htm
--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Thank you.

I wood strongly disagree.

Very nice Stoutman, I can hardly see that big ole crack at the top of the leg. :~) Just kidding.
Did you get to use your BS at all on this project? ;~)

Thank you. The crack is all the way at the top of one of the legs. It is barely visible after the fix. I just hope that it never opens up again.

Yes! I cut the cherry 12/4 leg blanks to rough dimension at the bandsaw. Then I jointed an two edges square at the jointer and passed it through the planer. I used the TS again to cut the tapers. I was VERY tempted to use the BS to cut the tapers, but I chickened out. I cut them at the TS and had to remove the saw and burn marks at the jointer.

Looks great! Tom

Dave

I wouldn't say it is traditional mission. I would say it is border-line mission style. Sure, there are no corbels on the legs or through tenons, I guess this is what people look for as the bench-mark of mission style. But it is simplistic in design with square two-sided tapered legs which touches into the Shaker/Mission style a little. Right?

I forgot to ad thank you ! :)

Can't wait to see it a few years from now. Cherry does that patina/colour thing as I'm sure you're hoping for. A nice mission/metropolitan blending of styles.
Nice!

Thanks! I think I am a big cherry fan now. I was big into maple, but there is just NO comparison.
Stoutman
My daughter just looked at the table. Have you a price to make one for her?
I like the tape at the joings when you glued them. Nice idea. I will try it next time.
Also some new clamps ar on the list to get. I am thinging about 10 each 6' ones.
Send me a picture with some room to play with on the border and I will make you a nice print. A big digital file.
Bob AZ
Really nice work. I'll be willing to bet that the pictures don't do it justice either. Thanks for posting your pics!
Robert

Maple is nice too..so many nice grains/ figures... but... when it comes down to it, cherry is it for me. Always has been.
I guess it is safe to assume, now, that you understand you will be shot if you ever stain cherry, right?
<G>

I already took the "I Will Not Stain Cherry" oath! I wasn't about to Norm-alize my cherry table.
I just hope I can keep my kid from finding a way to stain it over the years! :)

stoutman wrote:

    j4
stoutman wrote:

Looks good!
I'm a fan of clean designs, and I like what you've done.
"stoutman" wrote...

Sweet! The finish really brings out the figure of the cherry. I like the clean lines, too.
BTW, the little "raisins" are pitch pockets.
Also btw, since you say this is your first cherry project, don't forget that cherry darkens in sunlight way faster than you think it will. Since the table is symetrical, I'd recommend turning it every few days for the first few weeks till it darkens up a bit, and not leaving anything on it, i.e. placemats or a centerpiece, till it's had a few months to darken up.
Super nice table! Congrats on a great project!
-- Timothy Juvenal www.rude-tone.com/work.htm
Hambone Slim wrote:

Nice work to you, Tim!

Thank you!

I was dissapointed when they first started appearing during face jointing, but now I like them. What is a pitch pocket anyway?

Nice tip! Thanks. Since we have it in front of a window, I guess it could darken faster at one end? How often should we rotate it?

Thank you!