My jury-rigged jigsaw table thing

If you want a scroll saw, but your wallet suffers from a severe impaction, then a thing like this will either fill your scrolling needs or convince you to get out the crowbar. Either way, to me it's worth the price (pretty much free). I hope it at least amuses.
http://woodslacker.officeweasel.com/jigscroll.html
boorite wrote:

mine set up like this for years. Just a hole in the counter top for the blade and two counter-sunk flat head screws that fit into threaded holes in the base of my jigsaw. Set-up or take-down in a couple of minutes.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I had a Hersch (?) saw table (sic) many years ago that did this. You could mount a circular saw, jig saw, or router under the table.
Mike
boorite wrote:

I think it was upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com who stated:

My Ryobi BT3100 table saw has a jigsaw adapter plate available . . . .
-Don -- Pooder approved this post . . . .

At one point I tried to set up something like this in a router table, but I couldn't get it to cut anything that resembled a straight line. Gave up and bought a cheapo HD bandsaw. Just recently gave that up and bought a used 16", 1.5hp Grizzly. (Still learning to only cry once...) Andy
boorite wrote:

Often easier to bring the work to the tool.
FoggyTown
boorite wrote:

The web page shows a picture of it now, but not a real good one. http://woodwork-mag.com / Joe
Joe Gorman wrote:

Cool, have to pick that up.
Found these 1954 PM tearouts for sale on eBay...
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/boorite/pm54jigsaw.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/boorite/pm54jigsaw2.jpg
"Jigsaw from a Small Engine Block."
boorite wrote:

running a saw to match David Marks' jointer:-0 Joe
Joe Gorman wrote:

Yeah, "small block" could mean a 350. That there would be for hardwoods.

You would probably be interested in Nick Englers book on scrollsaws. It has a design for an actual C-arm scroll saw, made mostly from wood, that uses a chearp jigsaw as the power source.
And if you are looking for a quiet scroll saw, one that runs like a sewing machine, how about making one form a sewing machine?
As I was looking at your web site, it occurred to me, that it was kind of a wimpy outfit. Now, if you had used a reciprocating saw instead of the jig saw...
--
Every complicated problem has a simple solution that doesn't work.

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net wrote:

Now you're talking. Or maybe something gas-powered.

You mean like a gas laser?
- Owen -
Owen Lawrence wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of a curb saw or chainsaw, but the laser is hard to pass up. I think I would have to decide based on which one would win in a fight.

YEAH! That's IT! a CHAINSAW!. Why bother using a bandsaw for resawing? Why, with a table-mounted, vertically pointed bar chainsaw, and a tablesaw-like fence setup, except for wasting slightly more wood with the wide kerf, you'll be resawing like a saw mill! Imagine, you need a 2X6 or something, just cut down a tree and push it through your tablechainsaw! I've got an old Poulan out in the shed somewhere... I can hardly wait!